Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
On the Travel Table, do you use the "On Road" line when you are leaving a Road Hex or when you are Entering a Road Hex?

All of the other situations are clear in using the hex you are attempting to move into, but for some reason the rule is written slightly different and, along with some other spots in the rules, it seems to imply that you use it when the hex you are leaving has a road.

I even thought maybe it was one of those where you both hexes needed to be road hexes, but I'm sure it would have stated that one clearly.

SoCal Doug
Making my way through the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'On road' means both the starting hex and end hex are connected by the road .
If you go cross country, either starting or ending in a road hex but not actually moving along the road, you are not 'on road'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads (r204c): if you leave a hex via a road, you can never get lost — you are following the road. Use the "Road" line on the Travel Table (r207) for new events. If no road travel event occurs, then consult the Travel Table again for an event in the terrain you entered, consulting the proper line for the type of terrain in the hex. If a road event does occur, you need not consult the table again for a normal "terrain" travel event unless you wish.

If you are moving from one hex to another and as mentioned and the two are connected by a road then there is NO lost roll. You roll to see if there is a road travel event. If you get one then you may check for a normal travel event (optional) if you wish.

If there is no road travel event - then roll for a normal travel event in the new hex terrain type.

If you move from a road hex to a non-road hex then it is a normal travel event roll.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah... so you need BOTH hexes to be road hexes to use the "On Road" section of the Travel Table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Holy Moly!

My question was still valid but I have been making a big mistake and I'm not sure how I missed it - I thought you make lost checks of the hex you were entering!

Didn't realize you check Lost for the hex you are leaving and events for hex entering.

Doh!

Now the Lost dice roll for Swamps and Deserts make sense being so tough - you can get into the easy enough, it's getting out that is the problem!

This also may clarify the idea that you need to have both hexes be road hexes to be 'on the road'

The embarassed SoCal Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.