Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Technology Discounts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
donkey d
msg tools
If a planet with a tech discount is acquired in a round by a race with Nano Technology, but is exhausted due to spending of resources or influence afterwards is the technology discount still able to be used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
donkcheson wrote:
If a planet with a tech discount is acquired in a round by a race with Nano Technology, but is exhausted due to spending of resources or influence afterwards is the technology discount still able to be used?

No, to get the technology discount, the planet must be unexhausted at the time you purchase the technology. You can spend the planet when paying for the technology itself and still get the discount, but it must have been unexhausted beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donkey d
msg tools
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its important to note that when buying multiple technologies at once, such as Jol-Nar buying 3, each tech purchase is separate. You must pay for your first one before paying for the second one, and so on. If in the process of purchasing the first one you spend the tech bonus for the second one, you don't receive the bonus anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
We allow tech discounts even from exhausted planets. It's a house rule that makes life simpler and makes the game better, without eschewing "balance" too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
We allow tech discounts even from exhausted planets. It's a house rule that makes life simpler and makes the game better, without eschewing "balance" too much.

Except that it rewards not planning ahead.

If it works for your group, that's great, but it's not a common house rule and could give the players a disadvantage if they ever play with a different group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Labora wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:

Except that it rewards not planning ahead.

If it works for your group, that's great, but it's not a common house rule and could give the players a disadvantage if they ever play with a different group.

I concur here. All that would do is complicate things as the card would need to be flipped over again...and then back over again and so on!

That's a good point. I usually don't turn my cards upside-down, I just turn them sideways so I know what planets I have, but by the Rules As Written they SHOULD be face-down. Thus, it's easy to see what resources you have available, including which available credits you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.