Popular Tags: storage [+] ASL [+] [View All]
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After writing my first ASL module review, in which I suggested Hozan trays for counter storage, I though I'd show them off.

I also received a question about where to get them. In North America, you can get them through http://www.ikaswebshop.com/. In Australia it is trickier - there are no local suppliers/sellers and most Japanese retailers do not sell online to international customers. What I did was buy them through Rakuten. Be warned - you will also need a Tenso forwarding address, and the shipping costs are as much as the cases themselves. I ended up paying AU$100 per case, which is really shocking if I think about it too long... My advice is if you're going to get them, get them in bulk as that drastically reduces the cost per unit. My most recent order was for four of them, and that dropped the price to AU$80 per case.

The correct number is the B-50GG. The B-50 is the case part number, and the GG refers to the fact it has two sets of G trays - meaning four trays in total. You'll also need to order dividers. The correct part number for the dividers is B-357, and they come in packs of 15. Each tray ships with 15 dividers (so the case ships with four), but for maximum compartments you need 35 dividers per tray, or 140 dividers. That's 10 packs of dividers per GG case, minus the four it comes with, for 6 extra packs of dividers to get the full 144 compartments.

Here is a photo of the cases stacked next to a BVIII box for scale.

As you can see, it's 1 per OB, with smaller OBs taking up only half a Hozan. The Allied and Axis minors need about 2/3 of a Hozan each if you want to keep counter density reasonable, but you can squash them in to half a Hozan if you mix the arty counters together. The Finns don't even take up a full G tray. You also need one for the System Counters.

Here is the inside of the System Counters case.

You're looking at two of the four trays - the other two are directly underneath these two. I've arranged them in such a way that the top two have all the counters you use in-game, and the bottom two have all the counters you only need once in set-up. So the fortifications, boats, gliders, parachutes, acquisition counters, OBA and barrage counters are all on the bottom layer.

The top two are separated as follows: All the infantry-only counters are in one tray, and the other tray contains everything you need for tanks and guns. That way if we're playing an infantry only game, all you need on the table is one slim tray.

Here is a shot of the British OB in its Hozan:

The British OB is, rather surprisingly, the one that contains the most variety of weapons, especially once the Free French counters from CDG are added. I needed to merge many different counter types together to make them fit, though I recommend you only merge Vehicles not infantry, as you will never need to go looking for Vehicles in-game, while you will need to ELR and casualty reduce infantry.

Tray 1 is infantry, SWs, leaders, dm SWs, vehicle crews and concealment counters. Everything you need to get at in a game is in here. Tray #2 (also visible) has all the guns and transports, as well as gun crews. The rightmost compartment in the middle row is thinner than the others as the wall of the tray is inset there, this lets you get the trays out of the case easily. It also means you can't quite get a 5/8" counter out of them, so I always look for ways to store 1/2" counters in them. Trays 3 and 4 contain all the vehicles, sorted by type (AC, APC, AFV), then model, then make, then MA. Wherever possible counters are combined to make room, and they are usually combined by MA. Where that makes no sense, they are combined by model.

Here is an image of the infantry tray on its own, and a (blurry) closeup of one part of it:

Here you can see the very small footprint of the counters needed for a game - you need only three of these to play an infantry-only game - one each per OB, and one for the infantry counters. They are low profile and low center of gravity and unlikely to be knocked over or spill, and they take up very little table space.

From the closeup you can see the infantry, arranged from top to bottom in ELR order, an left to right in squad-half squad. It's very easy to find the pieces you need when you need them.

Here's one final closeup, showing the trays from the side:

Here you can see just how slim they are, but you can also see the way the dividers fit into the compartments, and the curved front edge of the compartment that makes these cases ideal for ASL.

So there you have it - what I think of as the perfect storage case for ASL, cost be damned!

This "review" (more an overview) forms part of my ASL Noob Review series. The rest can be accessed through the The ASL Noob Review Index Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
I also received a question about where to get them.

Thanks Boots.

That is some genuinely expensive storage ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Showoff

Boots01 wrote:
Here you can see the very small footprint of the counters needed for a game - you need only three of these to play an infantry-only game - one each per OB, and one for the infantry counters. They are low profile and low center of gravity and unlikely to be knocked over or spill, and they take up very little table space.

This is exactly what I especially like about these cases. Everything you need at the table fits into a tiny footprint. At the same time, the trays are each a single piece that are relatively painless to sort through, restack, move around, etc. unlike the similarly expensive Raaco boxes with their dozens of tiny inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Showoff :)

Boots01 wrote:

This is exactly what I especially like about these cases. Everything you need at the table fits into a tiny footprint. At the same time, the trays are each a single piece that are relatively painless to sort through, restack, move around, etc. unlike the similarly expensive Raaco boxes with their dozens of tiny inserts.

I've been looking for an excuse to post pics of my Hozans for a while. Showing off is definitely near the top of the list of motivating factors :)

I don't like the Raacos for a number of reasons, the chief ones being their lack of customisability, square bottoms and total unavailability in Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
How much is an AU$?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weiley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
How much is an AU$?

Currently about $1.03 US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
How much is an AU$?

It all depends on your perspective: to me it has always been $1.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
Then wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Nice.

FYI - Chas is in the process of putting together one box of the neutral system counters for each playtest table at MMP using these storage boxes.

I'm very tempted to buy one box for my own system counters. I just priced it out for a U.S. customer (a B50-GG with six extra packs of dividers) and the total on the Ikas website came to $65.05 plus 9.75 shipping total: $74.80 U.S. for one box.

That's commitment.

EDIT:

Another convert:

http://www.tabletoptitans.com/tutorials/0004.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you fit them back into the boxes? I guess not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I love these trays and used them for years as my travel kit, but I ended up selling them because (1) they are a little heavy and (2) I found they were too brittle for the wear and tear of hauling them around. That aside, I agree they are terrific - I particularly like the curved bottoms that make it easy to retrieve counters.

JR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred tray is the Darice no spill:

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-1157-11-13-7-Inch-8-6-Inch-1-37...

Reasonable price, perfect size, perfect depth, durable, curved bottom edge AND you counters will not jump from compartment to compartment even if you go upside down and shake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen Hozan trays firsthand but it seems like the plastic used if of the hard and brittle type making them better suited for use as a home set and than as a travel set. Other than that they seem very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWattie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good lord that is a lot of sweet moolah. As a noob starting out...I think of all the modules/action packs/journals etc. I could buy.

And here I am waffling about whether to buy Plano 3701s online for $5.99 + shipping (can't find them locally in Seattle) OR buy these 40 compartment containers locally at Container Store for $9.99 + tax (because is the extra money worth being able to pop in and grab one when needed). LOL. For the 10 containers I'm looking at the $40 dollar difference wouldn't even get me close to one Hozan...LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy so far with Plano 3701s for infantry, SWs, and very frequently used markers. For vehicles, guns, and rarely used markers, I prefer individual boxes kept sorted by designation so I can find even the most obscure counter quickly during setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Normandeau
Canada
Quebec
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm happy so far with Plano 3071s for infantry, SWs, and very frequently used markers.

I have been looking for the 3071 online at http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/ but couldn't find them. Are the 3071 still available? If not, what model do you think replaces them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he meant 3701

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
Quote:
I'm happy so far with Plano 3071s for infantry, SWs, and very frequently used markers.

I have been looking for the 3071 online at http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/ but couldn't find them. Are the 3071 still available? If not, what model do you think replaces them?

Sorry about that, I meant 3701. I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. zombie

The post is now corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dachda
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_WH wrote:
MaroonedMorlock wrote:
Quote:

Sorry about that, I meant 3701. I must be getting dyslexic in my old age. zombie

The post is now corrected.

Amazon has 'em: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-3701-Prolatch-Adjustable-Divider...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Magal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there. Thanks to your detailed post ( although it'd be really useful to get more detail on exactly where you put what ) I went ahead and ordered some and am in the process of filling them out.

I would like to add some shopping data with respect to this statement:

>I also received a question about where to get them. In North America, you can get them through http://www.ikaswebshop.com/.

Even though ikaswebshop ships from a warehouse less than an hour's drive from me, their price for 4 x b-50-gg and 24 x b-357 is $300, or $75 each(!!).

I ordered direct from Japan through Rakuten for $190, or $47.5 each. Specifically I ordered from mutsuura@shop.rakuten.co.jp and I didn't need any special shipping address. They were quick with the response and the shipping. I thought it would take weeks but I got it within a few days. So big thumbs up for Japan and big thumbs down for exclusive US distributor.

Now I just need to figure out how to get those big thumbs into those compartments or invest in some tweezers. Oh yeah, and to learn how I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So a single B50GG (with 6x extra dividers pack) gives me how many cells grand total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunsanvil wrote:
So a single B50GG (with 6x extra dividers pack) gives me how many cells grand total?

144 compartments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is no one using the regular GMT trays? I know it requires a few, but at 2.00/unit that is pretty cheap. I am wondering if I need to splurge on the Plano if I am already using the GMT trays (I don't travel, probably a big reason for Plano).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
Is no one using the regular GMT trays? I know it requires a few, but at 2.00/unit that is pretty cheap. I am wondering if I need to splurge on the Plano if I am already using the GMT trays (I don't travel, probably a big reason for Plano).

Are you referring to these trays? http://www.gmtgames.com/p-173-counter-trays-10.aspx

If so, then yes, they probably are sufficient if you don't travel with your ASL kit and are able to keep it safely stacked somewhere around the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suns Anvil
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Man, I keep dreaming about getting one of these. But let me understand this fully....

B-50-GG, $44.50
6 x B-357 Dividers, $21.30
Shipping to Canada, $26.99

US$92.72 (well over C$100). I just cant justify it. Even though they take up more room 5 x Planos 3600 maxed out gives 165 cells for $25.00 ($4.99 each at WallMart).

Have we not found these Hozans at ANY better pricing anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.