Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are hardly an American "liberal" Lee...
Hell - I would be half in a mind to let you in a "real liberal" club

That said - this piece was quite good.

You missed the bit where the (R) guy says that you can see it all black and white there in - say - Hayek or Schumpeter or whomever is the economist-to-be-quoted-without-reading-de-jour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
tscook wrote:
I'm not content with being bent over the table just because it means I'm getting a little human contact.

Are you having that bad a time of it? I'm not exactly swimming in loot, but I'm also in a virtually export-proof (and recession-proof) job. Maybe this colors my perceptions, but I still believe that the capitalist system, despite its potentially disagreeable elements, is preferable to the unknown quantity of yet another New World Order. What are you offering?

I like capitalism just fine.
That's not what we have at the moment though, is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
tscook wrote:
I'm not content with being bent over the table just because it means I'm getting a little human contact.

Are you having that bad a time of it? I'm not exactly swimming in loot, but I'm also in a virtually export-proof (and recession-proof) job. Maybe this colors my perceptions, but I still believe that the capitalist system, despite its potentially disagreeable elements, is preferable to the unknown quantity of yet another New World Order. What are you offering?

I like capitalism just fine.
That's not what we have at the moment though, is it?

We have a broad approximation thereof.

To be more precise - we are within a continuous deformation away from capitalism. In other words, out system could be tweaked to ever closer represent capitalism without having to do any massive ruptures to the general fabric of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really Republicans who piss me off, it's all the Chinese Walls they erect between their intellects and their goals. Those things are just too effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Reporter: But sir, aren't the wealthy mostly investing that money overseas to get a higher rate of return and off-shoring and outsourcing american jobs?
Congressman: Off course, that's the beauty of tax cuts, everyone will be wealthy.

Reporter: But sir, since the reagan tax cuts the actual trend has been for wealth and income to concentrate in 1% of the population, leaving the rest increasingly poor and worse off. Are you sure tax cuts are the answer?
Congressman: Off course, this is just a temporary effect. It's clear from the hockey curve that as tax cuts allow the wealthiest to create an extremely wealthy society- even the poor will be wealthier than the richest in other countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
tscook wrote:
bramadan wrote:
You are hardly an American "liberal" Lee...
Hell - I would be half in a mind to let you in a "real liberal" club

Man, wasn't the regulatory environment that allowed people to be used as means to a bottom line just fucking wonderful!? Those cats were real liberals!

Ahh, the anarchist section heard from already. I really like you guys (especially Qouzl, who's a Christian anarchist fer chrissakes), except you're just so naive...sometimes. In a capitalist system we're all means to someone's bottom line. The trick is to care for those who are less fortunate while maintaining the system, which is a winner as far as lifting all boats. I know, you'll probably not agree with that, but that's my opinion - and it's backed up, if not by proof that capitalism > anarchy, but at least by proof that capitalism > all those other systems that have actually been tried.

Liberalism: linked to capitalism (true). Liberalism: linked to prosperity (also true, although some prosper more than others). I'll take it for what it offers as long as we have a system that's democratic, respects individual rights, and is amenable to change when the balance tilts too far toward one "side" or the other. You can now call me naive if you like.

The trick is to constrain the maximum power private individuals can reach by law and by the tax code.

We did that previously by using the estate tax code to break up concentrations of wealth over time and legal constraints on company actions and political donations.

1 Bill Gates, George Soros, Warren Buffett is much worse for our society than 400 similar people with 100 million each fighting each other.

We reach a point where the government can't control the most powerful. They become able to break the law with impunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
The trick is to constrain the maximum power private individuals can reach by law and by the tax code.

It would be awesome if we could constrain the maximum power elected officials can reach.

Quote:
We reach a point where the government can't control the most powerful. They become able to break the law with impunity.

See, for example, members of Congress.

Why don't we just put a power cap over everyone? Kill two birds with one boomerang or whatsitcallzits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.