Second World War at Sea: Bomb Alley» Forums » Rules

Subject: Search Modifiers : I am at a loss... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are unclear about what modifiers apply for the search roll.

Did I count modifiers for the size and type of the TF that search or the target or both ?

2 small DD force have nearly no luck to find each other if you add modifiers for both fleet.

Can someone please post an example.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"You sure this is chemical experiment??"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Per 5.76, you must add the weather modifier, but after that, all other modifiers are declared (or not) per each player's choice.

So assuming daylight and clear weather for the example below,

If neither player declares additional modifiers, contact occurs 3-6;

If both declare intercept missions (+1, +1), contact occurs 1-6 (automatic);

If both declare only DD's and small TF (-1, -1, -1, -1), contact occurs on 6 (remember, per 5.71 an unmodified 6 is always contact/surprise sighting).

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that was the point I missed : there is only 1 roll for both and not 1 roll by side.

I didn't realise the auto-contact for both intercept, make sense.

Thanks for all your answers (and patience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have trouble about some modifiers:

1- If a TF have been identified as having more than 20 ships in it, can the opponent ask for the +1 ? In case a TF have already fight and his composition is known can the opponent ask for modifiers he know should apply ?

2- Can all the modifiers be claimed by each player ? or only modifiers applying for his own TF ?

3- Rules say the only modifier that always apply are the weather. What about the : contact made in last square of one TF and first of another when both move speed 3+ ? Who can claim it ? one, both, auto when applicable ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"You sure this is chemical experiment??"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nathaniel,

1- No, the player with the 20+ ship TF must declare the modifier.

2- Players only declare modifiers applicable to their own TF's (#3 below could be considered a partial exception).

3- Either player can claim it (this is the one "situational modifier," that is more akin to weather than the others), and if at least one does claim it then it applies.

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.