Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Descent is exactly the kind of game I enjoy and I really want to get it but I'm a bit torn and would like the honest opinion of some folks who have the first edition.

From time to time I see Descent packages pop up on Ebay and I've considered getting one of them. I'm talking about ones that come with all or most of the expansions. I really want Descent and the Road to Legends expansion, plus I'm a bit of a collector and completest so that's why I'm leaning towards taking the plunge on one of these. I'm wondering though if people think I should just hold off and get the 2nd edition whenever FFG releases it. It's supposed to combine some aspects of Road to Legend into the one game from what I understand.

Anyway, what is the opinion of you folks here on BGG? Should I hold off or should I just go ahead and get Descent and it's expansions when the opportunity presents itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Sasso
Italy
Mondovì
Cuneo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a collector i think it's a good idea to get the 1st edition before price will eventually rise.

Besides, second edition will probably be a reworked version of the original, so in the end you could buy that as well and end up with 2 quite different games.

My2cents.

Lawrence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same boat as you just a few weeks ago. I did a bunch of research and then asked a few questions in the Descent 1st Ed. forum. I got a ton of great responses, check it out here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/774640/on-the-fence-about-ma...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Guess I should have looked through the 1st edition forum a bit more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait for the 2nd edition rulebook before buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Buy!
You can always sell it later. It is a great game which slides into 2nd edition. If your a completest then when you buy 2nd edition you will also want to have everything from first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There's not really a lot of information on what exactly the changes are to the new edition (at least to my knowledge).

Might be best to wait for a released rule book or list of changes, or you could just buy the base game, enjoy it and then decide to either trade/sell it if you like the new edition or buy the conversion kit to let you play with all the old stuff in the new version (you'll still have to buy a copy of the new version too, at least that is my understanding).

It's up to you and how much you're willing to invest in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polkeroo wrote:
There's not really a lot of information on what exactly the changes are to the new edition (at least to my knowledge).

Might be best to wait for a released rule book or list of changes, or you could just buy the base game, enjoy it and then decide to either trade/sell it if you like the new edition or buy the conversion kit to let you play with all the old stuff in the new version (you'll still have to buy a copy of the new version too, at least that is my understanding).

It's up to you and how much you're willing to invest in this game.

To be clear the conversion kit allows you to use the monsters and heroes from 1e, but that's it, and we don't know to what extent.

You would most defnitiely still need the 2e base game to play 2e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
I'd say wait for the 2nd edition. Chances are you'l feel about the 1st edition like most seem to do: A game with great visuals and production quality, but a hefty average game length and not much fun to play as the Overlord after the heroes gain their first special items.

It's also not clear if the expansions will be compatible with the 2nd edition, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Chernoskill wrote:
It's also not clear if the expansions will be compatible with the 2nd edition, if at all.

The heroes and monsters will be, with the conversion kit (well, at least as compatible as any of the base game heroes and monsters, anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find one from an FLGS, let me know, I'll buy it. I have a complete set, but my 14 yr old son wants one too so I'm trying to find one for him and all my local stores are sold out (the last one I contacted even said that they pulled them off the shelf last month and eBayed them since they were so much more expensive there).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krunsH himself
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you would take your time to look through the topics you would've seen, that this topic has been covered a lot

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/757033/descent-a-very-short-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald (Joe) Rupert
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get first edition...wait...then get second edition.

Mmmmmmmmm...Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say buy now. If the 2nd Edition is a flop, the original game will rise in value since it is no longer produced. If the 2nd Edition is a big hit, the original game will rise in value because more people will want a complete set (thanks to the conversion kit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
My prediction is that, if second edition fixes the problems of the first, then thE first edition will tank in price. I have yet to see a game survive in value when the second edition is better than he first.

But, you say, you won't get all the pieces! Yet, I say. There is no reason for FFG to not release second edition expansions and why not use the same pieces they haven't produced from first edition yet. FFG recycles everything.

Twilight Imperium 1 and 2 have sure gone up in value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about a dozen sessions of Descent and I love the game, but like everyone else, do not like sessions that rival Twilight Imperium in length.

Buy it and have fun. Get the conversion kit when it comes out and you'll have 2 games and play the hell out of the one you like best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
msg tools
Smilinbrax wrote:
My prediction is that, if second edition fixes the problems of the first, then thE first edition will tank in price. I have yet to see a game survive in value when the second edition is better than he first.

But, you say, you won't get all the pieces! Yet, I say. There is no reason for FFG to not release second edition expansions and why not use the same pieces they haven't produced from first edition yet. FFG recycles everything.

Twilight Imperium 1 and 2 have sure gone up in value.

There is a simple reason why it's unlikely that they will reuse the old minis. It's because they don't want to lose any sales due to owners of the old minis not bothering to get an expansion if it's only a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Znuff wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Twilight Imperium 1 and 2 have sure gone up in value. :p

There is a simple reason why it's unlikely that they will reuse the old minis. It's because they don't want to lose any sales due to owners of the old minis not bothering to get an expansion if it's only a reprint.

Fully agree, although they may mix the old in with the new... Some of the minis of the original box are iconic monsters in the descent world and were reused in runewars. It would be odd if they were never to appear again in some form or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:

Space Hulk prices were not negatively affected by Space Hulk (third edition), an arguably better game (or at least on par with the 1st ed).

Also, given FFG's latest run of games, while this game attempts to "fix" 1st Ed issues, it will introduce just as many if not more issues in 2nd Ed.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
msg tools
But Space Hulk third edition was a limited edition game, so the price development there is different as no Space Hulk edition is currently in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Butlerian wrote:
Buy!
You can always sell it later.

Every now and then I think about trading or selling my mostly unplayed first edition in very good condition. Then I remember that I would have to find a way to ship it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Butlerian wrote:
Buy!
You can always sell it later.

Every now and then I think about trading or selling my mostly unplayed first edition in very good condition. Then I remember that I would have to find a way to ship it.

Not so long ago I acquired a whole lot of Descent, including the base game and a couple of expansions. It came across the water from England to the Netherlands. The seller packed it in a giant big ass box. The free space was filled with packaging chips and cardboard. No problem here.
It cost me about 25 pound postage costs which is about 30 euro and about 49 us dollars. I don't know about America but I think they only weigh the box and size doesn't matter. So it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
another geek
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I would buy the 2nd Edition, the reason is simple: The addons are so expensive... Road to Legend is something like 150€, Altar of despair the same: 150€ and even more, the base game has a normal prize (45€ more or less). Dont know the prizes for the other expansions, but some should be expensiv too.
Are you really sure to pay so much money? If I hadnt any Descent games, I would wait and get the 2nd Edition for a normal prize and forget the 1st edition joke by FFG. I am still angry on them, that they dont produce the 1st edition anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So 1st Edition is a joke, and you're mad that you can't buy it? Something doesn't line up there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
another geek
Switzerland
flag msg tools
manydills wrote:
So 1st Edition is a joke, and you're mad that you can't buy it? Something doesn't line up there...

it is a joke, that they produced the 1st edition and only some years later they are doing the 2nd edition without producing the 1st anymore. So I am fucked with my 1st edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.