United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 185th TGIF Poll
If the box insert for a game isn't very useful for storing the components what will you usually do?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Make every effort to try and make it work
37.3% 129
Throw away or recycle the insert
46.8% 162
Take the insert out, but keep it for the game (maybe for trade or just because you can't part with a piece of your game)
15.0% 52
Take the insert out, but keep it for some other purpose.
0.9% 3
Voters 346
Make a rough estimate: what percent of the games in your collection (that came with a box insert) no longer have an insert in the box?
0%
10.7% 37
1 - 10%
38.8% 134
11 - 20%
15.1% 52
21 - 30%
12.5% 43
31 - 40%
5.2% 18
41 - 50%
4.9% 17
51 - 60%
2.9% 10
61 - 70%
4.1% 14
71 - 80%
2.3% 8
81 - 90%
1.4% 5
91 - 100%
2.0% 7
Voters 345
Have you ever thrown away the entire box for a game and found a different storage solution for the components?
Never
53.3% 184
Maybe, but rarely
39.4% 136
Several times
7.2% 25
Voters 345
This poll is now closed.   346 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 am

4. What style of box insert is your favorite?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Zip-lock bags. Nothing beats zip-lock bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the inserts that are actually designed for the game. A good example of this is 7 Wonders. Even with the expansion everything fits in the box. (although the scoring pad is a little wonky.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

Don't really have a favorite. I suppose a plastic insert that's well suited to the task - say, the one for Wildlife Adventure - but I'm perfectly happy with whatever they choose to include, with a preference that everything fits once punched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't think I have a 'favorite'. For the most part, I like baggies in a box, but there are a lot of inserts I like and there are some I use baggies and keep the insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely try to make it work as much as possible, but sometimes it's a big pain. I'll most often ditch the insert (but keep it somewhere) when adding in an expansion. I had that brainwave with Arkham Horror and yelled at myself, "WHY didn't you do this sooner, you fool???"

I've only ditched the box altogether once or twice - usually a card game where the box was falling apart.

I really need someone to teach me how to make tuckboxes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

The kind that still fits all of its cards after sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the time, a bad cardboard insert can be flipped upside down or inside out to get a little more/less space. Plastic ones usually go unless they're just perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mage Knight Board Game insert was actually awesome, not because it was mostly functional, but because it was in sections. When I sleeved my cards and bagged the pieces, I still wanted the part for storing the characters and cities, and lo and behold, I could keep that specific part and throw the rest away.

The only thing I really want inserts for is to protect pieces that could be damaged by knocking around, like miniatures. Other than that, I'm just pitching them.

I keep on thinking about collapsing multiple games into single boxes to save shelf space, but haven't actually gotten up the initiative to do so. That would probably also require a lot of re-labeling, which I'm not enthusiastic to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I prefer the inserts that are actually designed for the game.

Yeah. When there's a space for everything that's great. Or even space for everything in bags.

I sometimes wish I was less particular. I can't bear to throw away inserts or boxes even when that would save me space and make so much more sense. I just wish game boxes were as compact as they possibly could be. My Queen Games boxes are the worst offenders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I'll throw it away on the spot. As soon as an insert becomes more trouble than it's worth, I'd rather just bag stuff and ditch the insert.

2 - It's actually pretty low. I think most box inserts are relatively useful, or at least they don't get in the way so I imagine only about 5% of my games have lost an insert.

3 - There are a few. Tuckboxes that have fallen apart are the biggest problem, so I've used baggies on some of those. I'd like to come up with a better Dominion storage solution so I could ditch all those boxes.

4 - I'm a big fan of the OCD-friendly plastic inserts. You know the ones like they include in Tikal or Jamaica, where every little component has its own little pocket. Generic inserts that just have big pockets to drop everything into are boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We ditched the Hive box immediately upon purchase, keeping only the zipper bag with tiles and rules inside that.

So I guess that's "throwing away the entire box" but not "finding a different storage solution".

---

I often like using ziploc bags instead of (or in addition to) inserts, so the game can be carried around without stuff getting all mixed up inside the box as often happens with inserts (which often depend on the box staying horizontal).

The exception is wargames with lots of counters. Then counter trays are the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Blott wrote:

Zip-lock bags. Nothing beats zip-lock bags.

Yes. If there has to be an insert, I like the ones that hold the board above the rest of the box and you can use your own storage solutions underneath.

I do really like H&G's inserts. Generic, yes, but they look good. For example, Egizia and Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Lords of Vegas insert is dreadful... I should throw that one away, but I haven't yet.

I got rid of the insert for Dominion, and got one of those long storage boxes I used to put my Magic cards in. But I won't throw the Dominion box away, so I just store the card box within the Dominion box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

My favourite game sotrage is a box sized so that it doesn't need an insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
...I do really like H&G's inserts. Generic, yes, but they look good. For example, Egizia and Stone Age.

After saying that I don't like any specific inserts, I started to think about that I do like 'generic' inserts. That way I can baggie stuff and put them in sections to help them keep separated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the box insert for a game isn't very useful for storing the components what will you usually do?

First, I'll try to modify it. I've done this a couple times when adding expansions to the original game's box. If that doesn't work, I toss it and either make my own insert or just bag the components and store them in the empty box.

Quote:
Make a rough estimate: what percent of the games in your collection (that came with a box insert) no longer have an insert in the box?
Zooloretto
Apples to Apples
Alhambra

All were removed to fit the expansions in the original box.

Quote:
Have you ever thrown away the entire box for a game and found a different storage solution for the components?

Dominion - stored in a cardboard card box with card stock dividers

Catan - stored in an antique suitcase with components in a combination of hand made bags and small boxes

Memoir '44 - stored in a plastic storage bin with components in plastic containers or plano boxes and the manuals and downloaded scenarios in a 3-ring binder

Quote:
What style of box insert is your favorite?

Ones like Alhambra or Memoir '44, where the tray is designed to fit specific components in specific places. I like to keep my games organized, even in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite happy to use box inserts if they're there, but occasionally they become more effort than they're worth, or an expansion comes along and doesn't fit in the box so I discard them. I think the Tikal one is one of my favourites - a hole for everything of just the right size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
I never hesitate to remove an insert if it's getting in my way. I don't throw them away, though, because I'm a pack rat. I have a box of inserts in my attic.

The only game I don't keep in its box is Domionion, which I keep in a couple of CCG card holding boxes. But I try to keep all my expansions with their base game. I have a box of expansion boxes in my attic next to the box of inserts.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the Fantasy Flight generic cardboard inserts (Battlestar Galactica, Rex, Mansions of Madness, etc. I can flip them over and have plenty of room for the game and an expansion, or I can remove them and not feel guilty about it.

I don't like a molded plastic insert because they make it hard to baggie the cards. I like some flexibility in my inserts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Quote:

The only ones I actively like are those which serve an
in-play purpose - be it Monopoly's money divider, crayon rails'
chip sorters, or a counter tray.

Baggies are best for transport especially,
but it's tough to get rid of an insert for me -
especially the specially designed ones like Tikal
or Mayfair's xx games had. But dammit, they don't do any good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 - If an insert is not suitable AND I'm probably going to keep the game I will recycle or toss it. If I'm likely to sell/trade the game then I prefer to still have the insert for the buyers benefit.

#2 - It's pretty low as most inserts work ok for me.. I put less than 20% but even that may be a little high.

#3 - This often happens with expansions, but the only GAME that I am aware of that I have done this is Arkham Horror, which now lives in a flip-top cardboard box that a laptop came in.

#4 - I like to bag everything up, so a simple cardboard insert that doesn't take up a lot of space is fine with me... especially nice if it has some game related artwork on it.

As an aside, I have a problem with the so-called "perfectly formed" plastic inserts, because 9 times out of 10 they are only perfectly formed for the in-shrink components, and as soon as you take off the shrink, things no longer fit! This is particularly a problem with decks of cards and I really dislike having cards loose in an insert because guaranteed the next time I open the game those cards will be all over the box... but because the insert is so perfect, there's no room for a bag around the cards!!

Worse still is when a game with a so-called perfectly formed insert has a promo expansion, that won't fit in the box because the insert was so perfect!! I'm looking at you... King of Tokyo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I like bags--ziploc, Crown Royal, whatever--for storing components when the box itself does a poor job. But if the box has a place for everything and everything can be in its place, then I use that. No need to add work when the job's already done.

I have thrown away only one box as I recall. While playing in the Candidate tournament at the first or second AvalonCon, I had my copy of the game under my chair during the finals. Somewhere along the way, I leaned forward, the back legs rose, and when sitting back down, a leg punctured the box top. So, I ditched the box and put it in a generic Avalon Hill box.

Now, I sold some games (five murder mystery party games) and after selling them, asked the buyer if he wanted me shipping those boxes, or just putting everything in manila envelopes. He opted to ditch the boxes, so I threw those away, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like an insert that provide structural support to the box but also leaves large compartments for bagged components. In many cases I'll keep the empty sprues to fill out the appropriate gap with the closed lid to provide even more box crushing protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'm one of those guys that wants to keep a game in its original condition as much as humanly possible, even if that means that I end up having to store some of the components in a separate box if they no longer fit in the original insert. I don't modify my games, have never, ever lost a single piece (that I know of), and like to keep them pristine, both for my own enjoyment, and so they retain their value.

2) I'm pretty sure that all of my games have their original insert in the box.

3) I've never thrown away the original box.

I wish all box inserts were made by Days of Wonder. Colosseum and Ticket to Ride have great inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a ziploc bagger when it makes sense so I prefer boxes that leave room for that. Most of the inserts work out for me and I estimated 10-20% don't have the inserts due to many of the games in my collection being acquired in trade and I know many aren't as patient as I am trying to make it work out.

One insert that I have been impressed with is Taluva
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.