Popular Tags: 2-player [+] [View All]
Steve
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys

I'm looking for a 2 player game for the wife and I to play to increase our repertoire. If it plays well with more then that's a bonus, but I definitely want to focus on stuff that's especially good with 2. Ideally I'd want something medium weight, with a reasonable playing time (hopefully not much over an hour), and an interesting and well integrated theme. She is not a fan of direct confrontation in games, but also she says that the idea of co-op doesn't particularly appeal to her.

For a bit more guidance, this is how we find the games we currently have in our collection:

7 Wonders - my wife's favourite game, we really enjoy this but find it underwhelming with only 2.

Agricola- my favourite game, and something my wife can be persuaded to play when she's in the right mood. I love the interesting theme and heavy strategic play. Overall she finds the game quite stressful though, and doesn't enjoy the oppressive feeling of struggling to feed your family. Also, this one is a bit of a commitment to sit down and play!

Carcassonne- My wife really enjoys this, specifically the idea of building the map together. We tend to play it in a non-cutthroat way. It's a little light for my tastes, but I am usually happy to play it.

Notre Dame - We both really like this game, despite the dry theme. It plays well with 2, has constant interesting decisions and doesn't outstay it's welcome.

So, what sort of thing do you think we would enjoy? Thanks for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Gates of Loyang

nvm too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stone Age? It's known as the gateway game to Agricola, does not have direct confrontation, seems to be enjoyed from 2-4 players, and has a 60 minute playing time. It also has a slight civilization theme, though not as explicit as 7 Wonders, so your wife might find that to be a bonus.

Check this review out where the reviewer compares it to Agricola
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/459353/why-i-prefer-stone-ag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy It may seem intimidating at first, but once you get used to the roles and symbols, it's very accessible and interesting. Also scratches that itch of being interesting and intricate, while not being very conflict oriented and definitely not a co-op. I enjoy the 2player game more then anything else with this game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go Thebes, Stone Age, and Finca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our current favorite two player games? Jaipur, Egizia, Jab, Castles of Burgundy, Stone Age, Triumvirate, Navegador, London, Puerto Rico, Airlines Europe, Kingsburg, Claustrophobia, Lord of Waterdeep, Belfort...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games come to mind that my skittish wife has enjoyed in the past:

Forbidden Island
Lost Cities
Battleline (play without the Tactics cards the first time)

If you guys enjoy Lord of the Rings things you should also consider Knizia's
Lord of the Rings Co-op Game. It's a challenging game to win, about as stressful as Agricola, but the theme is MUCH more interesting, imho.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An obvious one, have you guys tried Dominion?

Seems to fit requirements. Rarely confrontational, but you can even tailor it to not play certain cards if you find them annoying. My wife loved it. I find it plays best 2 player and it plays so quickly you can play many games in a row. One slight issue is that it does get much better adding in expansions. She already has a favorite game with cards, so it might be up her alley.

+1 Race For the Galaxy too. Since there is a lot of iconography in 7 wonders as well I don't think she will be put off by that aspect of race. It takes a little more time to learn, but is superb 2 player and bonus is plays great with more and has no downtime. The only issue with this one for my wife was trying to get a handle on the deeper strategy. I played more with Keldon's AI (which you can test our for free). So I figured some stuff out earlier than her while she was still getting her feet wet so it wasn't quite as fun for her, but she is warming up to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age - Great entry level worker placement game. Plays from 2-4 extremely well. No direct conflict but there is definitely a ton of blocking and indeed the person who pays attention to what the other needs the most and blocks them frequently will usually win.

Dominion - My wife's favorite game. 20-30 playtime and we usually play at least 2 rounds when we do play it. Tons of replay value built into the system, but be warned, you will likely want to buy some expansions so this one can get pricey.

Macao - Discovered this game in November and it has had more plays than any other game in my house over the past 4 month. Another game that scales incredibly well from 2-4 with very little conflict at all. Macao has some very nice game mechanics you have not likely seen before. Play time on this one 2 player is probably closer to 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm looking for a 2 player game for the wife and I to play to increase our repertoire. If it plays well with more then that's a bonus, but I definitely want to focus on stuff that's especially good with 2.
Check

Quote:
Ideally I'd want something medium weight, with a reasonable playing time (hopefully not much over an hour), and an interesting and well integrated theme.
Check

Quote:
She is not a fan of direct confrontation in games
Check

If you like fantasy adventure take a look at Adventure of D.
I know, I know, that's my game. Reading your request reminds me of why I designed the game from the start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
greekramos wrote:
Three games come to mind that my skittish wife has enjoyed in the past:

Forbidden Island
Lost Cities
Battleline (play without the Tactics cards the first time)

If you guys enjoy Lord of the Rings things you should also consider Knizia's
Lord of the Rings Co-op Game. It's a challenging game to win, about as stressful as Agricola, but the theme is MUCH more interesting, imho.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck!

While he specifically said that he doesn't want co-op games (so Forbidden Island is out), the truth is, OP, that unless your wife is an experienced gamer, she doesn't really know what she'd want. I thought cardgames were stupid and glossed them over until I took a chance on Rivals for Catan and now enjoy that much more than the boardgame. One can never know how one will react to a game, despite watching videos galore and knowing the rulebook by heart, until one plays a game.

Forbidden Island is cheap and quick and might be worth the gamble, even if it turns out your wife's preconceptions are correct. Tell her there are meatier well-regarded games in store if she likes it (Pandemic, obviously, and Flash Point: Fire Rescue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackDarwid wrote:
I know, I know, that's my game. Reading your request reminds me of why I designed the game from the start

Just watched Tom's review - how would one go about acquiring a copy?? looks great!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Peavy
United States
Americus
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice little game is Jaipur, a clever game of set collection and victory points that clocks in at 30 minutes of less.

Traders of Carthage is a little gem that takes only 30-45 minutes but is a good medium-weight strategy game.

For a little more tension, any of the "10 days" games, like 10 Days in the USA or 10 Days in Africa also play in ~30 minutes; Africa is a little friendlier/easier than USA, as there are multiples of some countries.

In the same vein, we LOVE Thebes and Thurn and Taxis. These games take about an hour and are a lot of fun with two players.

Lost Cities OR Keltis are other games we play often. It takes less than an hour and is a little different every time you play.

Other games we enjoy are Caylus Magna Carta (a little over an hour), A Fistful of Penguins (about 15 minutes per game and a load of fun), Hansa (only an hour and pretty easy to learn / play but hard to master), and TTR Switzerland or Nordic Countries (if you can find them).

Hope this helps. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, speaking of Rivals for Catan, why not get that? It's amazingly enjoyable and aside from gathering resources to buy improvements and the theme, it has little to do with the popular boardgame. There is no blocking one's road or building a settlement in a spot that another player was vying for. There's no *gasp* inter-player trading! Each player gets their own principality that looks like this.

What is that? Middle row is two settlements connected by a road. Top and bottom row are resources. Each settlement has 4 resource regions on it's corners. That's it, it is that simple.

You use resources to buy roads, settlements, city upgrades, and the meat of the game, settlement/city expansions. The vanilla game comes with the base game (recommended as an intro game to get used to it) and three themes. One theme involves a ton of direct conflict "Era of Turmoil", one involves slight conflict "Era of Gold", and the final one "Era of Progress" is about building universities and such to make your principality a resource producing powerhouse.

I fully enjoy this game and the ability to use one theme or another (or all three in the "Duel of the Princes" variant) to customize your experience for different tactics, depending on what I'm in the mood for, means this game will see a lot of table time before I look for a new card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Actually, speaking of Rivals for Catan, why not get that? It's amazingly enjoyable and aside from gathering resources to buy improvements and the theme, it has little to do with the popular boardgame. There is no blocking one's road or building a settlement in a spot that another player was vying for. Each player gets their own principality that looks like this.

Your link for Rivals is actually pointing to a review for Magnum Sal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ugh, thanks. Stupid clipboard. Edited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I do not really enjoy Rivals, though there are some fan variants that fix the take-that cards and unsatisfying length/depth ratio. (too long for a very luck-driven game.)

How about regular Catan? When played two players there is plenty of space to do your own thing without too much confrontation. We much prefer that over a game of Rivals.

We also like Alien Frontiers with a modified Raiders Outpost.

+1 for Jaipur also but it is fairly fast and light.

And maybe Glory to Rome? That works decent with two (though like most games a few more is better.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan
Saint Petersburg
Yspahan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of our games are 2-player (though we do regularly get a 3rd and 4th player), and we like a variety of themes. 45 min to 1 hr is our favorite length.

We really enjoy:

Glen More
Hansa
Samurai
Pastiche

And also the previously-mentioned, +1 Kingsburg (our current favorite), Jambo (only plays with 2), Thurn & Taxis, Stone Age, Finca, Thebes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janez Lužar
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the gates of Loyang for you (u like Agricola) and Alhambra for your wife (she likes carcassonne).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Comfort
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat, and also looking for more games. We have the same issue with times, less than 90 minutes (60 preferred), mediumish weight, little competition.

+1 Stone Age
+1 Thurn and Taxis
My wife's current favorite is Pandemic with or without the On the Brink expansion. This gets around the competition phase. My wife also likes 7 Wonders, but not so much with 2 players.

We recently got Roll Through the Ages and have a couple plays. It's ok, it comes out during the week or when we are short of time on the weekends.

Hoping to see some more suggestions here so that I can steal a few ideas from this thread.

EDIT: 1)copy paste issues 2)T&T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
JackDarwid wrote:

Just watched Tom's review - how would one go about acquiring a copy?? looks great!!

Ordering details here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions! Loads of new ideas to look at there.

Moe45673 wrote:

While he specifically said that he doesn't want co-op games (so Forbidden Island is out), the truth is, OP, that unless your wife is an experienced gamer, she doesn't really know what she'd want. I thought cardgames were stupid and glossed them over until I took a chance on Rivals for Catan and now enjoy that much more than the boardgame. One can never know how one will react to a game, despite watching videos galore and knowing the rulebook by heart, until one plays a game.

Forbidden Island is cheap and quick and might be worth the gamble, even if it turns out your wife's preconceptions are correct. Tell her there are meatier well-regarded games in store if she likes it (Pandemic, obviously, and Flash Point: Fire Rescue)

This is a fair point. As luck would have it, a friend has just bought Forbidden Island, so we will get a chance to give it a go soon. Maybe she will change her mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.