Popular Tags: [View All]
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Formula De scorecard project on the go: scanning and adding a bit of reference info to the scorecards. These will then be laminated.

My plan is to have a doublesided scorecard for race style, 1 or 2 or 3 laps. The first side will be a simple game, to play with non-gamers and the second side will be the full game with additional rules in play.

So... I'd like to take the car construction part out of a 3 lap race, to start games with pre-made cars. Any suggestions on how the point breakdown should go???
My current thought it to take the 2 lap scorecard (with 19 wear points in total) and then add an extra repair point (bringing the total to 3).

What do people think? Would it be a good way to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the draft scoresheet for 1 lap - base rules only.

The 2 lap race will be similar, but with just keywords for each type of wear point. My assumption is that players are at least slightly familiar with the game by the time they start racing two laps.

It will also have a reminder about pit stops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So everybody is racing in the same car?
Why?
Even in a real class - let's say for ex. Formula Renault - the cars look alike, but I'm sure that the set-up is different between the cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The thing with premade cars is that they will not fit all tracks.

I would want a lot of engines on Zandvoort 1, while I would not need them in Monaco, for example.

For beginners that find car construction to daunting, you can always try to make a car that works on most tracks, but they should shift to makeing them themselves after the first race, as I see it as a big part of the game.

An example car could be:
Tires: 9
Brakes: 1
Fuel: 3
Body: 2
Engine: 2
Roadholding: 2
Pits: 2

You could also consider making the cars slightly different.
The upside of this could be that the drivers become aware of how they can exploit the different strengths of their cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
So everybody is racing in the same car?
Why?

Having the same car would just be a learning tool, with the intention of "graduating" players to a customized car as soon as possible.

I could easily see playing this game with a large group of family members, where a three lap race would be very appealing, but where I wouldn't be able to teach all the details before the start of the game. So I'd like to have a pre-made car available, to make the game start sooner.

taalmod wrote:
You could also consider making the cars slightly different.

Fascinating idea. With subtle differences between cars, players would be pushed into driving to suit their car. I like it!

The only question is whether it would be a bit of a crutch, delaying player from playing the real game.

I'll have to think about my audience, but this has some real potential....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now I have another question: what about the reverse situation?

The reverse on each scoresheet will be the full game rules for that lap. So should I add car construction to the 1 or 2 laps races, or is it not worth it?

I will be adding tire types, and then suspension (to the 2-lap race)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.