Subject: Proposed New Combat System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For reasons I'll go into in my next Blog post tomorrow, I'm looking to streamline the Combat system.

Here are my thoughts - I'd appreciate any feedback:

Proposed New Combat System

Before Combat starts check for Fear
Any Characters with Bravery less than half (-1 Bravery if a Screamer) than strongest opponent cannot engage in combat and is frozen in fear. They may try to escape as normal.

Combat Rolls
Assign combatants with supporting Characters as usual with a maximum of 4 Characters to 1 Character unless other Characters have Laser or Marksman (in which case they add their support as normal).

Add 1D6 to each side per skirmish as normal. Count the difference to the totals – this is the number of Hits scored (do not roll on the old table). If you roll a 6, you ALWAYS score 1 Hit (regardless if your total is less than opponent). If you roll a 1, you NEVER score any Hits, regardless if your total is higher than opponent.

Assign Hits
If you have a choice to where you assign the Hits, you may choose although a Victim must be chosen first. Only 1 Hit can be assigned per Character before another Character must be assigned a Hit (a Protective Character may take that Hit though). If you have more Hits than Characters then excess Hits must be divided as equally as possible.

Determine Damage
For each Hit roll 1D6: 1-3: No Damage; 4-6: Take Damage.
The roll is modified by -1 if a Machine or Armour, -2 if a Dalek, -1 if target is a TARDIS Character, +1 if you have Laser.

Damage effects
All Characters except TARDIS Characters (or aliens that have a new keyword – Massive – such as the Nestene) are killed when they take Damage. A TARDIS Character may opt to take a Wound or be KO’d. A Wounded Character that is again Wounded is killed. A Wound has the same effect as before.

Implications:
1. Rules need to be rewritten – Combat and Damage – this might give room to talk a little about Equipment and Artefacts however
2. Events need to be changed to reflect new Wounds and Damage – could be extensive… rockfall etc
3. Some Enemies (like Daleks etc) need to have Laser included. In fact, Laser needs to be more prominent anyway. We also add Armour as a trait for Enemies like Ice Warriors or Autons that aren’t necessarily Machines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of your ideas, but

Quote:
If you roll a 6, you ALWAYS score 1 Hit (regardless if your total is less than opponent). If you roll a 1, you NEVER score any Hits, regardless if your total is higher than opponent.

A 17% chance of auto-hit and 17% chance of auto-miss added together leaves a 1-in-3 chance of an extraordinary outcome. In most RPG systems that include critical success and failure the odds are almost never more than 5% for either.

Just my 2¢.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that my characters can have a chance in combat (by rolling 6s) against enemies that would previously just out-muscle them too much. Obviously, as the Doctor, I always try to avoid combat, but it would be nice to have some kind of chance to win in the situations when I must fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Niemand wrote:
I like most of your ideas, but

Quote:
If you roll a 6, you ALWAYS score 1 Hit (regardless if your total is less than opponent). If you roll a 1, you NEVER score any Hits, regardless if your total is higher than opponent.

A 17% chance of auto-hit and 17% chance of auto-miss added together leaves a 1-in-3 chance of an extraordinary outcome. In most RPG systems that include critical success and failure the odds are almost never more than 5% for either.

Just my 2¢.

Even though it's a17% chance of an auto hit - it doesn't mean that that hit will cause Damage - in fact it's 8% chance (without modifiers).

And an auto miss 17% - i'm trying to emulate the TV show here where Daleks, Silence etc can be crap shots when they should really shoot the hell out of TARDIS Characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Honestly, it seems like rolling a 1 has a far more dramatic effect than rolling a 6. I may completely overwhelm my enemy, scoring multiple hits, but if I rolled 1, BOOM, critical failure.

On the other hand, if I'm up against impossible odds (The Enemies I've encountered outclass my stats by more than 6 points), a roll of 6 gives me, at best, a 50% chance of eliminating one enemy. Not nearly so big a deal as completely missing the target entirely.

On the other hand, if rolling a 6 also means "The enemy doesn't hit you," then that's a pretty huge effect. Simon didn't specifically state whether this was the intended effect, so I'm assuming it probably isn't.

Two alternatives which immediately spring to mind:

* Instead of rolling 1D6, roll 2D6 and keep 1, with the auto-hit only occurring if you roll double sixes. That means that the extraordinary result only has a 2/36 (5.5...%) chance.

* Instead of zero hits on a roll of 1 and at least one hit on a roll of six, -1 hit on a roll of one, and +1 hit on a roll of six. Then the effects are somewhat more balanced against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite neat Paul but the reason I suggested what I did is because your Brawn is almost inevitably smaller than an Enemy.

So if they roll a 1 it's a great break for you, if they roll a 6 - so what?

If you roll a 1 - probably no great shakes anyway, if you roll a 6, you just might get a break and kill one.

It's not as easy as bare maths...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mb
TheDalek - 1d6 = (5) = 5
Dragon - 1d6 = (4) = 4

Dalek hits dragon one time.
Damage - 1d6 = (6) = 6 YES!

Dragon wounded.

TheDalek - 1d6 = (6) = 6
Dragon - 1d6 = (4) = 4

Dalek autohits? or 2 hits?
Damage - 1d6 = (5) = 5 OUCH!

Dragon killed!

shake

Might just work... I'd have to see you both play a game of chess to determine brain/brawn to see who would win...

that said... I like what you are trying to do - simplify... BUT the game is already setup as a chart checking, page turning game... Damage is just one more chart...

How many hits can people take? 1? so everyone in essence has 1hp? Not sure if I like that... I like how it effects brawn right now, and how that can carry throughout the episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 118039. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:37 am
  • [+]
  • 118040. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:38 am
  • [+]
  • 118041. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:39 am
  • [+]
  • 118042. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • [+]
  • 118043. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • [+]
  • 118044. ThatFedoraGuy
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:44 am
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, everyone - except TARDIS Characters (and a few big monsters)- have 1 hit point. Some Characters 'count' as TARDIS Characters though remember

It's not the Damage chart that's the problem, it's the recording of all the damage and modifiers - it's just too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
I mostly play on the computer now, although at the beginning I was playing with my printed version and writing down stuff in a notebook so I can see how it may be tedious, in most battles there is a lot of writing involved, so I guess some simpler system would be nice. I'll try to play a few adventures with this proposed new system soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I propose that TARDIS Characters have basically 2 HP - 1 Wound (which makes you go to half Brawn) and then if you take another you're Dead.

I could do it so that each Hit is -2 Brawn and when you get to 0 Brawn you're dead?

This does mean that Massive aliens (new keyword for big allies like the Nestene, Dalek Emperor etc) might last a bit longer too...

I'm still of the opinion that Allies just die with 1 Hit though

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mb
I kept records of different battles I had on the game. I'm going to look for them so I can see how this system would have effected that one.

Simon, my first thought is that it makes it much quicker... But right now, the game has a ton of record keeping really. It's not out of place there. If you are looking for a new system for a new game altogether, it makes sense.

That said, keep in mind that it's a new game based on similar premise and not a revision.

Difference between version 2.1 and 3.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

I would prefer no change to the combat system. So far, I have had zero issues with the current combat system. To make changes to the combat system will just make more work than fix anything. I have played this for over a year now. Leave the combat system as is. There are other issues that should be looked at over the combat system. Overall, I`m pleased with the game as is. If its not broken. Theres nothing to fix.
Keep it simple stupid. Thats my rule. My 2c worth.
Love the game. The game is already perfect.

Freebird out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the vote of confidence there Fred.

What are the other issues you may think need looking at though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Freebird1956 wrote:
devil

I would prefer no change to the combat system. So far, I have had zero issues with the current combat system. To make changes to the combat system will just make more work than fix anything. I have played this for over a year now. Leave the combat system as is. There are other issues that should be looked at over the combat system. Overall, I`m pleased with the game as is. If its not broken. Theres nothing to fix.
Keep it simple stupid. Thats my rule. My 2c worth.
Love the game. The game is already perfect.

Freebird out

I agree with this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you don't have to use the new system if you don't want to.

All it's really come down to is the swapping out of wound 'states' into 'hit points' for certain characters. This makes recording of Damage easier and cleaner - especially since some Characters like Troops and Minions are more disposable now (as they should be). It's also made a few options available and a boost to Laser as a Trait (which it needed);

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about these as tweaked combat options...

Aim for the Eyepiece
This tactic can be used to try and find weak spots in the opponent’s armor. If a Character with Marksman does not enter combat directly or is used to support other Characters then at the end of the round if they make a successful Marksman 9 roll (with normal Hit modifiers applicable) then one opponent (your choice) is Wounded.

Capture
Your Characters may attempt to capture an Enemy rather than inflict Damage. This must be stated before combat rolls are made and is successful if you would have inflicted enough Wounds to reduce the Brawn of the Enemy to half or less. A captured Enemy (except a Minion or Troop) gives a +2 bonus in any Confront option. A captured Enemy must be guarded by Characters with at least twice its Brawn (or it will attack if it makes a Brawn roll) or locked up (not in Wilderness) but it will attempt to escape each Turn and is successful if it makes a Brawn roll.

Mercy
A TARDIS Character may offer mercy to an Enemy if it is Wounded to less than half their initial Brawn. Gain a Luck point and the Enemy makes a Bravery roll (with -1 Bravery for each Wound). If the Enemy fails the roll, then it surrenders and is beaten (see Capture option above). If the Enemy makes the Bravery roll then it will attack next round as normal. No Machine or Dalek will accept mercy. A Companion with Compassion must offer mercy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MYOB MYOB
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:
That's quite neat Paul but the reason I suggested what I did is because your Brawn is almost inevitably smaller than an Enemy.

Not the case in my experience.

As you may know from my games, I never go into physical combat with the Enemy unless I have an army backing me up. (Which pretty well describes proper Doctor tactics. Running is the most vital skill after Charisma, after all!) On the other hand, the enemy should have a chance to get lucky now and then, too...

Anyway, I don't mind the recordkeeping for injuries, so the current system is fine with me. (Also, I really don't like the Fear freeze. Leave that for enemies that are specifically frightening, like the Carrionites.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.