United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Ranged Combat rules, p.19:

Quote:
Attacker may use Ranged Squads to Flank. Defending Friendly Squads being Attacked cannot participate in any sort of defensive Flanked Combat with other Squads.

I think I understand the first sentence. I have no idea what the second sentence means. Please help me understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Small
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it refers to being able to flank in combat when defending, which you CAN do. Not so when defending vs. range combat attacks.

So if a single attacking enemy squad moved adjacent to 2 of your defending squads, you would gain flank for the combat. Those same 2 defending squads could NOT gain flank if being attacked at range however. Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokenfang wrote:
I assume it refers to being able to flank in combat when defending, which you CAN do. Not so when defending vs. range combat attacks.

That makes sense, but the second sentence needs the word "Ranged" somewhere in it. It's not clear to me whether it's talking about:

(1) other squads adjacent to (and allied to) the squad being attacked at a range;

(2) other squads with range capability separated from (and allied to) a squad being attacked in melee; or

(3) something else I haven't considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Small
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure Nathan will post some answers for us. The guys from EEE have been great about responding to questions/feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
From the Ranged Combat rules, p.19:

Quote:
Attacker may use Ranged Squads to Flank. Defending Friendly Squads being Attacked cannot participate in any sort of defensive Flanked Combat with other Squads.

I think I understand the first sentence. I have no idea what the second sentence means. Please help me understand.

AND

That makes sense, but the second sentence needs the word "Ranged" somewhere in it. It's not clear to me whether it's talking about:

(1) other squads adjacent to (and allied to) the squad being attacked at a range;

(2) other squads with range capability separated from (and allied to) a squad being attacked in melee; or

(3) something else I haven't considered.

Chris is correct.

"Attacker may use Ranged Squads to Flank. Defending Friendly Squads being Attacked cannot participate in any sort of defensive Flanked Combat with other Squads."

It's an overly wordy sentence that we could have just said Attacker may use Range Squads to Flank attack, Defenders may not use Defending "Range" Squads in Flank Combat. You are very correct, the word Range should be there.

This was a tough rule to come to for us, and we did it to simplify the amount of brain burn that would result from this. And to hurry along combat. Essentially if we allow Defensive Flanking to occur, fruitless mini combats could essentially occur between different squads that are in range of each other all within what was supposed to be ONE combat occurring. I wish I could show you an example. We felt it squeezed a little fun out of it.

We felt, although more powerful, the attacker could use the Range Squad to help in Flank Combat because he could have some sort of element of surprise over Defender. And it concentrates on the ONE fight at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nathan, that answers my question.

Basically, ranged attacks can be added as flanking attacks by the attacking player, but not by the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.