Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Has the Geek gone mainstream with this ad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if you guys/gals have seen it yet (and some of you may have ads disabled), but I'm used to seeing ads in the right hand of the screen for various games and game related merchandise.

Until just now. I saw an ad for synthetic motor oil. Synthetic MOTOR oil. Here. On the Geek.

I guess they figure us geeks gotta drive somewhere to game...

Jorune

ps. I actually thought it was some tongue-in-cheek ad for a game, that's how out of place I thought it was, but nope. It was legit. (and yes, I do click through them in order to help the geek ;-)

EDIT: OK, maybe I'm just clueless, but they must be plugged into some commercial ad revenue site that spams a host of sites at once, cause I'm looking at an ad for quilted northern toilet paper right now. Of course us Geeks gotta shit too, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Much of that ad space is sold by Google, not BGG. It's not unusual from my experience to have non-game-related ads. I had ads for cupcakes once. And I've had car ads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps to pay the bills, bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dre Wamek
United States
ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never seen the oil ad before I checked this thread.

Stop spying on me GOOGLE!!!! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Google ads were a bit better than they are. If I go to a site to look for say baseball mitts, and I leave the site to go to bord games. I don't want to still see baseball mitts. I want to see ads for games.

I equate it to going out to a restaurant. Yes, I'm curious about your desert specials. but if a waiter tries to cell me a cell phone plan while I'm at dinner. I'm never coming back for either product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, whatever inventory I don't have sold is filled by Google Adsense, so pretty much anything not game related is just semi-random stuff that Google serves up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Could there be a tie between the Google ad and the Tanga ad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxfield Stewart
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely using something like googles engine. I've had all kinds of oddly omniscient things pushed to me in the side bar. Browsing tablet computers? Suddenly ever 5th or 6th add is for a tablet. Looking at monitors the other day? Yup.. there they are. Even cars.

Odds are something in your google cache/browser cache keyed it to think you might be interested in Synthetic motor oil, so there ya go. They don't necessarily need to store information on you anywhere but your computer, then have the ad engine decide which ad to show you based off markers left in your browser locally.

Oh, and if they happen to record which /ad/ they pushed to you, well, that came off their servers so that's okay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
I wish Google ads were a bit better than they are. If I go to a site to look for say baseball mitts, and I leave the site to go to bord games. I don't want to still see baseball mitts. I want to see ads for games.

I equate it to going out to a restaurant. Yes, I'm curious about your desert specials. but if a waiter tries to cell me a cell phone plan while I'm at dinner. I'm never coming back for either product.

But, what if they knocked 20% or 25% off your bill if the waiter tried to sell you a phone plan?

"Good evening sir, table for two? Do you want to sit the ad section or no ad section? It's Friday night electronics, an extra 5% off your bill, and a free appetizer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
On the page of a wargame set on the eastern front during WW2, there were ads about Russian wannabe brides and the like... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:

Do they have caravan on the list of desert specials?? devil

Google ads don't bug me and I hate to admit it, but I deliberately don't give the Geek enough money to turn off the ads because I *like* the game ads!!

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
On the page of a wargame set on the eastern front during WW2, there were ads about Russian wannabe brides and the like... surprise

Clearly google adsense detects words like "Russia" when deciding what to put on-screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Clearly google adsense detects words like "Russia" when deciding what to put on-screen.

Clearly Google has a long way to go... how comes Alex's profile does not show Ugly Dolls ads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewamek wrote:

I was the same haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Tackleberry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:

I'm looking at an ad for quilted northern toilet paper right now. Of course us Geeks gotta shit too, so...

laugh
What a microbadge that would be, maybe something like a unrolling roll of toilet paper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

Maybe it is looking at your cookies and then decides from there what to put up if the ads are from Google. Hence if you went to some auto site or something dealing gasoline or anything in that arena, you'd get a synthetic oil ad.

If you had a wife who looked up baked goods or homemaking or something, and then you looked up BGG on the same computer...perhaps you'd get cupcake ads.

If you went...okay, I'm not going to touch the Russian bride thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I'm seeing ads for Maybelline beauty products. What does that say about me?

Note: That was a rhetorical question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Right now, I'm seeing ads for Maybelline beauty products. What does that say about me?

Note: That was a rhetorical question.

Maybe you weren't born with it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that it uses my cookies to determine which adds to display. Shortly after I've been to site I've never been to before adds pop up there immediately after. I recently went to the Disney World site, (thinking about taking the kids next year) when I came back to BGG there was a Disney World trip ad. So...Google is tracking me despite my erasing my cookies regularly.
Typically I ignore the ads, but once & awhile I click on a game ad for something that appeals to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Wow! Ukrainian-Russian dual-citizenship. What are the odds?! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a brief, glorious moment as I pondered the title to this thread while waiting for the page to load, I entertained the notion that the Geek had actually been the subject of an ad somewhere in the mainstream media.

Ah well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words:

AD BLOCK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewamek wrote:

Tell me about it. My wife was looking at baby clothes on my computer. Now, all my ads are for kid clothes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.