Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just purchased this game at 60% off and would like to play it with my group, but since coming here to get a rules summary, it has come to my attention that the game doesn't work well with 3 players, as the box promised. So, I'm here to ask for concise suggestions on how to make it work with 3. Namely:

1) How many units per player?

2) If the players play two colors each, should they move only 1 or both on each turn?

3) Is it generally necessary to take the islands out of play or does that only help when each player is playing the standard of one color?

4) Are there any other modifications that should be made to improve the 3 player experience?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1&2) same setup for 6 players.
Players takes turn the same way they were in 6.

3)I'd leave it in.

4)common koku reserve for the player.
Wins the player with the most points adding both his colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theruler wrote:

4)common koku reserve for the player.
Wins the player with the most points adding both his colours.

Thanks, I haven't read the rules yet, so I'm not completely sure what this last bit means.

Do you mean to suggest that all the players get money from a common bank, and that, when empty, the final score is determined.

OR

Do you mean to suggest a common bank that combines the koku normally alloted to just one army with the money alloted to a second army (two player colors) which is not the case in a standard game and that, in addition to that modification, when one players gets to 25 HP combined between both of his armies, he wins?

Don't worry, your english isn't bad, I just haven't read the tules yet.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Male
United Kingdom
Woburn Sands
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Stefano - I would just play as in the 6-player game, with two-colours per player and combining the money for the two-colours into a single pot for each player.

For play balance and simplicity, it might be better if each turn is played in two phases. The Emperor initially selects one colour of each player to play in phase-1 and the other colour to play in phase-2. The emperor then chooses move order within each phase, as play progresses

The reason for this suggestion is that it might be too powerful for the Emperor to have both of their colours playing together.

But do try to get an extra player, the game really is excellent with 4-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.