Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cloud hermit
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I played Stronghold last evening. I liked it overall, but found it more Ameri than Euro, and game duration too long (~3 hrs).

Any suggestion for something like Stronghold but more Euro in style and quicker game play (no more than 1.5 hrs)?

Thanks!
cloud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dearborn
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not alot of eurostyle wargames.

A couple that may work for you are Cyclades and Smallworld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played (or really looked at) Stronghold, so I don't know much about it. However, euro-wargame hybrids are Martin Wallace's strong suit (along with train games). These all last at least 3 hours (you'll have a hard time finding something that gets over in 1.5 hours): God's Playground, Age of Reason, Struggle of Empires, Gettysburg and Waterloo.

cloudhermit wrote:
Hi,

I played Stronghold last evening. I liked it overall, but found it more Ameri than Euro, and game duration too long (~3 hrs).

Any suggestion for something like Stronghold but more Euro in style and quicker game play (no more than 1.5 hrs)?

Thanks!
cloud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at these:

2 de Mayo - 2 player only.
Conquest of Paradise
El Grande (only with 4 or 5 players) - After a few plays, you can get it down to 1.5 hours.
Tigris & Euphrates - After a few plays you can get it down to 1.5 hours.
Wallenstein/Shogun - Longer than 1.5 hours.

It's going to be hard to find what you're looking for that plays in under 1.5 hours.

I would +1 Struggle of Empires because it's the best for Euro war-games, but it's way longer than 1.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets kind of a bum rap around here, but I think Tempus is OK. And I'm not a Martin Wallace fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Heller
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mb
Imperial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

I would +1 Struggle of Empires because it's the best for Euro war-games, but it's way longer than 1.5 hours.

And not to forget that this one is only BEST (highly recommended) with 6 or 7 players. Assuming that you're looking for something that plays with two, the experience you gonna get with this game just isn't good enough.

I can't give any recommendation yet as I haven't play my copy of Stronghold yet (but just finished 3/4 of the defender's rulebook; motivated by the recent episode of Shut Up&Sit Down).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Take a look at these:

2 de Mayo - 2 player only.

This. As it's simpler and asymmetrical. And 2 player. 20 min,

Neuroshima Hex! perhaps? (Tile laying conflict game. 2 players, 4 armies. No dice.) 30 min.

König von Siam for "elegant" 3 player "conflict" game (it's area control). 30 min. Or The End of the Triumvirate for another conflict 3 player euro. 1 hour.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation / Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation for 2 player stratego like conflict euro. It's Knizia so as euroey as possible. 30 min. and asymmetrical.

if you want building and fighting (civilisation genre) than the games will be more complex. Cyclades is a good recommendation there (4-5 players). Also (kinda) Antike, Wallenstein/Shogun

Or maybe worker placement with a bit of conflict: Carson City, Lancaster.

Or euro take on CDG: 1960: The Making of the President (90 min, 2 player)

P.S.: It's a funny OP as my geekbuddies claim that Stonghold is "a stinky euro" and not ameritrash or wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The coolest (to me) thing about Stronghold is the asymetrical gameplay with one player on offense and another on defense, with each player using completely different gameplay systems to get by. I too would love to know of suggestions for other games that do this; the only one I can think of is Netrunner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long is A Few Acres of Snow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.