Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask, because I tried to get my new copy on the table tonight, and I had one guy reject it because he felt that it was too easy to win. He told me that all that was needed was tight management of the bags between two players (one to draw and one to refill) was all that was needed to win the game.

I had played this before and enjoyed the one play I had that I felt it was worth buying, but it would disappoint me if this investment was for nothing.

I've also noticed occasionally people talk about modifying the game. What are the reasons people feel that they need to modify the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many other co-ops, Yggdrasil has a variety of difficulty levels. The game can be very easy if there are zero Angry God cards and zero Ragnarok cards added, especially with only 2 players. Shuffle a few of those in there, however, and the game gets much more difficult especially with larger groups.

Most of the modifications that I've seen are either for fun/variety, to increase the use of a particular action (usually Vanir, and I don't agree with those variants), or to decrease predictability so that probabilities can't be calculated as easily...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
With two players in basic mode it can indeed be easy to win. Like Mathue said, get in some of the heavier gods and maybe play with some more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with more people and you won't be disappointed by the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kruse
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opposite problem. The first time I brought this game to the table , there were six players; after two games of losing horribly, several of my friends declared the game unwinnable.

I've since won many times with two players, but I've never been able to convince the larger group to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I love the theme and the gameplay, the game does have a problem with scaling. With two players, you have to pad the deck with Angry Enemy & Ragnarök cards. With five players, no matter how easy you make the deck, it's impossible to win.

I still enjoy playing the game, but at times it feels like a DIY project when adding players. I do wish the designers had put the work necessary in to deal with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
I ask, because I tried to get my new copy on the table tonight, and I had one guy reject it because he felt that it was too easy to win. He told me that all that was needed was tight management of the bags between two players (one to draw and one to refill) was all that was needed to win the game.

I had played this before and enjoyed the one play I had that I felt it was worth buying, but it would disappoint me if this investment was for nothing.

Since when does Broken mean people don't like it, or find it too easy?

TheLongshot wrote:
I've also noticed occasionally people talk about modifying the game. What are the reasons people feel that they need to modify the game?

Some people just like to make house rules. The threads with those rules generally include descriptions of the 'why'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grondhammar wrote:
With five players, no matter how easy you make the deck, it's impossible to win.

"Impossible" is a bit strong. Plenty of people have won with 5-7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:

I've played this twice, each time in a group of new players to the game (except me, I guess I had played it once before my second time!), and we easily won the base game. 'Angry' gods or Ragnarok cards would make this less 'easy'. But not necessarily more 'fun'.

I'm not a fan of cooperative games in general, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Easily won with new players? My brother and his wife had the same issue, they played twice, didn't really break a sweat, and wondered what the deal was.

It turned out they missed the rule that Jormungand resets the Valkyries back to the Rainbow Island.

Maybe go through the rules again with a fine-toothed comb -- I can understand a win but easy wins (edit: with new players), even with two players, shouldn't be happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
Easily won with new players? My brother and his wife had the same issue, they played twice, didn't really break a sweat, and wondered what the deal was.

It turned out they missed the rule that Jormungand resets the Valkyries back to the Rainbow Island.

Maybe go through the rules again with a fine-toothed comb -- I can understand a win but easy wins (edit: with new players), even with two players, shouldn't be happening.

I dunno - I think the game is perfectly doable and can even feel easy (if the cards come up right) with 6 players, even all of them new. I don't see having much trouble with only 2 players. I feel like I'm not a new player anymore, but I've really only played 4 times. That experience could make a difference, and if you really have no sense of the strategy of the game, you might lose with 2 players, but some people pick up on that stuff faster than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ludonaute also has a scoring sheet. You can rate your performance this way - not merely as a win or a loss.

http://www.ludonaute.fr/imgnews/Yggdrasil%20score%20sheet.pd...

Maybe I'll have to sponser an Yggdrasil tournament? Prizes will be minimal. A free crust of bread for first place. A handshake for second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great link there, hadn't seen that. Could be very helpful making me feel better for all the times we lose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
And my two cents on whether the game is "broken":

- played 4 times with all angry gods cards, lost each time
- thought it was fun though and a challenge
- was worried the game would be too easy, (and therefore boring and not at all fun) but that is not the case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorgos O.
Greece
Athens-Pedio Areos
Attica
flag msg tools
easy level 4p lost twice-won twice,
2 difficult cards 2p game won,
easy level 6p lost.
So my opinion is that with 5 or 6 players it is rather difficult to win even with the easiest level and that s the challenge!
With less players adding difficult god cards is necesary in order to have a suspence in winning the game-though even with 4p can become very "stresful" until the last moment!
I love Yggdrasil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihaly Rendes
Hungary
flag msg tools
The easiest level we have tried so far was about half of the angry gods and ragnarok cards included, we could win it after one failed learning attempt. Since that our group(s) have only played with all of the extra cards in deck, and could not manage a single victory so far so all I can say is that the game is not 'broken'.
With all of the extra cards included it is the hardest coop game I have played so far, and even my most hardcore board gamer friends agree on this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.