A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 1st Game - Slow but Worth It rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to BGG, I finally got to play my first game of AGOT. Last year when the HBO series came on, I was hooked after episode 1 and started reading the books which just made me super hooked. I put out a post on this forum asking if there was anyone in the Omaha area that was interested in playing AGOT. Earlier this week I got a Geekmail from
Brian Frantz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
saying he saw my post, had the game and would love to teach it. We agreed to meet at our FLGS on Friday night and I brought along
Derek
United States
Vashon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
. Fanigan was the only one who had ever played before and he had about 3 games under his belt. We got there about 6:30pm and Fanigan started going over the mechanics and let us look at some plot cards and house cards. We then randomly drew our house and ended up like this:

Lannister - Me
Stark - Dbol
Baratheon - Rob Ryan
Targaryen - Fanigan

We all picked our first Plot cards and Baratheon won initiative but made me go first. Being a Lannister, I took the Master of Coin title which gave me 2 extra gold. The Starks took Leader of the Kingsguard, followed by House Baratheon grabbing the thing that gives you +3 Power and Targaryen grabbed the thing that gives you an extra card. During Marshalling I was able to get out a location that let me buy characters for 2 less than their normal cost and Jaime Lannister. He looked like he would be a beast in Military challenges.

After everyone else finished their Marshalling phase, I did a Military Challenge against House Stark and was able to kill one of those whiney wolves. I also had Varys in play from the Set Up portion and did a successful Intrigue Challenge against the Straks who had no Intrigue showing and I got my first Power Token. Wow, this game will be easy. Wait a second, how come no one told me that all 3 of those other Houses can attack me and I should save someone to defend?

Thank goodness that Jaime Lannister doesnt exhaust to attack or defend in Military Challenges.

While I certainly don't remember every card played, killed, or discarded, in this game. I do remember that the Targaryens jumped out to the early lead in Power Tokens because of some attachment that gave one of his characters +6 Strength. House Stark was able to get several Direwolves and Ed Stark into play and I spent most of my time attacking him. About Round 5 House Stark had 8 characters in play and House Targaryen had 7, while Baratheon had 5 and I just had Jaime, the Lannister House or Honor Guards, and Varys in play. This looks like the perfect time to unleash the Plot card: Wildfire Assault which causes all of the other Houses to KILL all but 3 of their characters. The look on Dbol's face was priceless as more than half of House Stark was buried in the tombs underneath Winterfell At that point in the game I think the Power Tokens looked like this, Lannister 5, Stark 9, Baratheon 8, and Targaryen 8. A few rounds later I had pulled within 1 Power Token of the leaders and I thought things were looking pretty good as I had got about 5 characters in play. House Stark then revealed a Plot Card called Vargus Moghal or some crap like that and it killed ALL of our characterssoblue What kind of crappy, overpowered card is that? Now I would practically have to start over. House Stark finished the round with 13 Power Tokens. They must be stopped. Fanigan and House Targaryn finally started playing some of his sneaky Ambush cards against thos do-gooder Starks but it was too little too late. Rob and House Baratheon also tried piling on the Starks but they had just got too strong.

The Starks played some card that let everyone shuffle their dead characters back into their deck and he was able to bring Eddard Stark back to life. With Catelyn, Ed, Jon Snow and about 3 Direwolves in play, it was all over and house Stark came out victorious. I finished in last place but I really enjoyed the game.

House Stark - 15
Targaryen - 12
Baratheon - 12
Lannister - 10

The game took us over 5 hours to finish but we did lots of rule look-ups and debating about if I won a Military Challenge with Jaime Lannister (deadly) and I had 2 Claim on my plot card, would it kill both Jon Snow and Ghost at the same time. I also had the +3 Strength Title. Dbol was wondering if it would kill Jon Snow first, then Ghost could Save him and then Ghost would die? We had tons of discussions about items like that throughout the game so that certainly contributed to the long game time. We all enjoyed the game except for its length and Dbol thought that there was too much of a "Leveling - Rubber Band" effect built into the game. He actually had a pretty good lead on all of us at mid game and then we all just ganged up on him, which slowed him for several rounds and allowed us to close the gap. I think that is just the way that the game is designed to be played. I am looking forward to the next time we can play this.

Fanigan told us that he has all the expansions and that we could build our own decks if we want, when we play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Zolyia
Romania
Sibiu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first joust (1 vs 1) took 4 hours. We were both beginners. We started playing at around 00:00, and by the time we finished we were both like : "WTH, it's already 4 AM??" I play the game for over 1 year now and i far from getting bored of it.
Glad you enjoyed the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like you had a lot of fun. Were the decks being used the ones in the core set or did someone build them?

I do have to say: Time and again people talk about 3-5 hour games of AGoT and I'm always baffled. Even with the core decks and 4p I never played a game that lasted more than 90 minutes. Even with the decks I have now games end in 40-60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played a 5-way melee yesterday that took 90 minutes. We were amazed.

@Dave Not when you have to read the text of every card you have in your hand, every card there is down and try to put all this information into a coherent strategy the first time around. They will learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
That sounds like you had a lot of fun. Were the decks being used the ones in the core set or did someone build them?

I do have to say: Time and again people talk about 3-5 hour games of AGoT and I'm always baffled. Even with the core decks and 4p I never played a game that lasted more than 90 minutes. Even with the decks I have now games end in 40-60 minutes.

Yes as far as I know we were using the 4 decks that come in the core set. Brian, the guy who was teaching us the game has all the expansions but we didnt use any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should point that choice of Titles in the mid and late game should be as much about who you can force not to attack you as what their bonus is, if not more so. Whoever is in the lead should be choosing Titles that protect him from getting ganged up on, especially by who ever is his biggest rival or person with the next best board position. This at times meaning choosing a Title whose ability does not really benefit you. That is the cost of protecting yourself.

As you guys get more familiar with the card pool you'll find the time lessening because you won't have to read every card, and the feel what a House can and cannot do becomes stronger your ability to strategize will improve as will your speed at doing it.

Congrats and welcome to the "the only game that matters."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

I have to say that I am baffled by people who are baffled when people talk about 4+ hour games! Our first game was SIX hours!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/536746/first-play-4-cont...

@ Omahavice: Glad you all seemed to enjoy the game. Welcome to Thrones and I hope you stick with it. Once you pass the learning curve and/or start to get into even a little bit of customization/deckbuilding you'll see the game length go down significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone interested in playing? I need to get this on the table.

Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.