Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a supply teacher at an elementary level. I recently had a very positive experience with Crappy Birthday in a class where classroom management was an issue. The best part of the day was when I pulled out the game and I had the students play it in groups of four or five. They loved the game and it kept them engaged. I wonder if there are going to be extra cards published, because if I have to go back to that class, I cannot really use the same cards again.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just remember you could vary it to see which one is their favorite instead of worse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reminder, this is true, and a good idea, can refresh the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea of alternating each round works well, that way you have those great things for individuals or terrible things you could play
just my opinion
I was thinking you could call it "Not so crappy birthday"
I'm looking forward to breaking this game out at my in-laws

try the Apples to Apples game too, we've played that a lot and people have to persuade you with their picks
(again, variations to be used ...)
bad apples = worse one
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We plan to release a kids edition in February of 2014. Until then, I would use the Official North Star Variant. It should breath new life into the game. Also, since most of the gift were designed to appeal to some people at the table, and be repulsive to others at the table, it should still be fun to play Crappy Birthday if you put them in with a different group of kids. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Goodmanson
United States
Port Edwards
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came here looking for "Happy Birthday" via your facebook page note. Looks like this is the Kid's edition?

I have gotten a 'I'm not going to play a game called *that*', so welcome the new version and title, if that's this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the title has been a problem in my groups too. Also hope that would change esp. For kids' edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just entered Happy Birthday! into the database, so it should show up sometime soon. I'll add graphics as soon as it goes live.

Happy Birthday! is the same game as Crappy Birthday, but it s designed for kids ages 5+. The gifts are things that get kids really excited (like a small backyard digger), and there is no text on the cards to explain the gift (like there is in the Crappy Birthday game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks
please update us when it is available
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will start selling it into stores next month. It should be available by April. But the game is more likely to be carried by toy stores (or Amazon) than hobby game stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
I wonder if there are going to be extra cards published, because if I have to go back to that class, I cannot really use the same cards again.

Definitely take a look at the new companion game which has just been released called Happy Birthday!

I've just posted a review of Happy Birthday! here. It's basically the same game, and uses the new and improved rule where players choose the best and worst gift on their turn. It comes with 150 new gifts, and is also geared more towards families and children. It would be ideal for your classroom setting, Judit; the children I've played it with all loved it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for the reminder
I know what I'm going to buy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Your Tarkovsky avatar is the coolest thing I have ever seen on BGG

Oh, thank you. I see you own but have not played 1989: Dawn of Freedom. This is cool too. I urge you to play it, as it is a wonderful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.