Power Grid: The First Sparks» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fixed-price auction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Auctioneer names a price, with the minimum bid being the price on the card to be auctioned. The rest of the auction proceeds exactly as before.

What would this do to the game? Would it serve to balance out particularly odd draws the way the full auction does in Power Grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Would it serve to balance out particularly odd draws the way the full auction does in Power Grid?

Interesting thought... I may give this a try. (Although the "odd draws" hasn't really been a problem for us.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Lichti
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you feel like the last player has too much of an advantage in the tech phase when there is an odd draw?

In my short experience, I haven't seen a huge disadvantage to being in the lead. I never shy away from taking the lead if others seem hesitant to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that because you're paying more for the same things, players will grow slowly and will run out of deck before they get to 13 population. Try it and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
My impression is that because you're paying more for the same things, players will grow slowly and will run out of deck before they get to 13 population. Try it and see.

Remove the rotting food rule to compensate. You'd have to remove Fire too, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.