Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game and am a Martin Wallace fan. I am having some concerns here about the talk involving the game, as seen in this blog post:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/9073/a-few-acres-of-sn...

It is reminding me of what happened with Balloon Cup, in that it looks like it involves a game that is praised highly, but then has structural flaws with it, that end up getting brought up about the game.

Is this similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the same thing at all, IMO.

Balloon Cup did have an undiscovered flaw, but there is an easy and painless fix for that flaw. It just required a minor safeguard be added to the rules.

Also, the flaw in Balloon Cup only affected rare, outlier situations. The imbalances in A Few Acres of Snow affect every game played by skilled players.

Balloon Cup:
"If you draw this particular combination of cubes, redraw."

A Few Acres of Snow:
"If you are good at this game, and you are playing the British, you will win approximately 100% of the time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The flaw in Balloon Cup was also corrected in the rules of all subsequent editions after the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
The flaw in Balloon Cup was also corrected in the rules of all subsequent editions after the first.

Correct, the BC lock up flaw was infrequent and easily fixed. From what I hear, AFAoS issue comes up too easily and is (so far) nearly impossible to fix. Too bad because I was really looking forward to getting this game. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balloon cup and a few acres of snow in the same thread. cry where are we going...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ask similar in regards to both games getting highly praised, but then something popping up after the game hits the market that has people wondering if the game was tested sufficiently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Nearly impossible to fix". How do you figure that? There have been a plethora of fairly simple solutions proposed, and some more elaborate ones. Many of these have possibilities. I think the problem lies in getting concensus, and calibrating it so that French don't move into dominance, not in the availability of viable options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
I have the game and a Martin Wallace fan.

I represent the whole of the BGG community when I beg you to return the Martin Wallace fan to his family. They miss him badly. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dssims wrote:
docreason wrote:
I have the game and a Martin Wallace fan.

I represent the whole of the BGG community when I beg you to return the Martin Wallace fan to his family. They miss him badly. shake

Text is fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no clear fix for AFAoS yet. I'm giving it about a 50-60% shot one is developed by the community (most likely Tim). Developing this fix is not gauranteed - especially since people have been trying to come up with a fix for several months.

Getting the community to buy in to a proposed fix is going to be tough. If the broken nature of the game concerns you, then I recommend holding off and keeping an eye on the forums. If a fix is found it will be discussed and then you can buy in and pick up the game.

I sold my copy last week for a couple of reasons, one being the game's current broken state. I have no qualms about picking up a future copy if Tim or someone else releases a proper fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.