Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Please consider my copy of Game of Thrones (The Board Game!) for trade. This copy is only four months old and has been played a total of four times. All the pieces have been punched out of the cardboard cut outs, but they are in pristine condition.

The reason I am trading it is after a rather unfortunate experience with a friend playing this game who wouldn't play by the rules and thus spoiling it for all my friends who would want to play this (including me and my fiance) so I think it will never be touched again.

If you would like to trade please send me a personal message though the geek, ideally, I would be looking for something like Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz or Mage Knight. Will post to anywhere in the world, photo available on request of all the bits and that.

This game cost £50 brand new and like I say, I am only trading due to one friend being a total jack ass.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Water Dancer wrote:
The reason I am trading it is after a rather unfortunate experience with a friend playing this game who wouldn't play by the rules and thus spoiling it for all my friends who would want to play this (including me and my fiance) so I think it will never be touched again.

Unfortunately I don't think I can take it off your hands (unless you're interested in Tannhauser or Space Alert) but I'm just curious how your friend ruined the game? Can't you just play it without this one problem player in the future?

I had an experience with the 1st Ed of this game where one player, after losing at their offensive, got incredibly salty and decided that there was no way for them to win the game, and spent the rest of the time kingmaking. This got me to hate the game for several years until a better play experience got me back into it. It's a great experience when it clicks, with a lot of really clever ideas in that box to go with the quality pieces. Are you sure it's been sullied irredeemably in your eyes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Sees like you need to trade in your friend for a new onedevil (at least for gaming night RSVPs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the A Game of Thrones General forum to the Trades forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the offer, I have friends who already own both those games so I'm afraid I'll have to turn it down, thanks for the interest though.

My gaming group live by one core rule in all games and that is "No Backsies", which basically means once you have done a move or an action, you cannot undo it (exceptions are made if it is a new game, new player etc). My friend is very harsh with this rule (as we all are). We were on the 9th round and he needed to win a combat round to win the game. He had spent the Westeros phase getting him self up the Iron Throne track and had control of the Valaryian Blade. During the round of combat, he played his marching orders, support was called for, cards were played. He lost the battle, retreated his troops and put them in the routed position. He then proceeded with his next combat move, and then during the beginning of this he realised he did not use the Valaryian Blade during the combat round he should of done. He then said "I use the blade for that combat round, I win the game". Even though we were adamant this was a "backsie", he refused to continue with the game stating he had won. This ruined the whole experience for people playing, and took away the chance of having a "true winner". After the time and investment, it was a really sour way to end an evening (especially because we were having fun playing the game).

The problem is, all the people I played with will never want to play Game of Thrones again after that so I don't want a game on my shelf that will never be touched again, I might as well try a trade for something else.

I have no problem with my friend who did this, it is just his way and it has never happened before. There was no bad blood as a result and I'm sure we will still play Lord of the Rings LCG on Thursday and continue to game on Saturday nights but just not Game of Thrones. He has even said so himself he doesnt like playing competitive games because he becomes too determined to win (we usually play Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness) so he has warned us before. I think Game of Thrones might just bring out the worst in people, as they say, in the Game of Thrones you win or you die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Water Dancer wrote:
Thanks for the offer, I have friends who already own both those games so I'm afraid I'll have to turn it down, thanks for the interest though.

My gaming group live by one core rule in all games and that is "No Backsies", which basically means once you have done a move or an action, you cannot undo it (exceptions are made if it is a new game, new player etc). My friend is very harsh with this rule (as we all are). We were on the 9th round and he needed to win a combat round to win the game. He had spent the Westeros phase getting him self up the Iron Throne track and had control of the Valaryian Blade. During the round of combat, he played his marching orders, support was called for, cards were played. He lost the battle, retreated his troops and put them in the routed position. He then proceeded with his next combat move, and then during the beginning of this he realised he did not use the Valaryian Blade during the combat round he should of done. He then said "I use the blade for that combat round, I win the game". Even though we were adamant this was a "backsie", he refused to continue with the game stating he had won. This ruined the whole experience for people playing, and took away the chance of having a "true winner". After the time and investment, it was a really sour way to end an evening (especially because we were having fun playing the game).

The problem is, all the people I played with will never want to play Game of Thrones again after that so I don't want a game on my shelf that will never be touched again, I might as well try a trade for something else.

I have no problem with my friend who did this, it is just his way and it has never happened before. There was no bad blood as a result and I'm sure we will still play Lord of the Rings LCG on Thursday and continue to game on Saturday nights but just not Game of Thrones. He has even said so himself he doesnt like playing competitive games because he becomes too determined to win (we usually play Arkham Horror or Mansions of Madness) so he has warned us before. I think Game of Thrones might just bring out the worst in people, as they say, in the Game of Thrones you win or you die.

Wow that's a really lame way to end a game. I definitely think AGoT isn't for everyone, and requires a group that is very competitive, but also fair-minded and good humored. Hope it finds a good home!

If you are interested in a lighter, friendlier dudes-on-a-map game for your group, you should look into Cyclades. It's still competitive, but significantly less in-your-face-aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it really was, more that he didn't give anyone the chance to actually win the game but it was only a games and none of us will let him forget what a douche he was so I'm sure we'll be joking about it soon enough.

Thanks for the recommendation I'll certainly have a look (one of my favourite parts of gaming, reading about games I don't own).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Water Dancer wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation I'll certainly have a look (one of my favourite parts of gaming, reading about games I don't own).

Mine too; certainly the most expensive part as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Water Dancer wrote:
.....he refused to continue with the game stating he had won. This ruined the whole experience for people playing, and took away the chance of having a "true winner". After the time and investment, it was a really sour way to end an evening (especially because we were having fun playing the game).

The problem is, all the people I played with will never want to play Game of Thrones again after that.....

See, this is what I don't get. The problem doesn't seem to be with the game, but with the friend. What if he does a similar thing with the NEXT game you bring out?

I suspect the answer is that he will....because "he doesnt like playing competitive games because he becomes too determined to win.....(and) he has warned us before".

Or, to put it another way:

"You will only play the games that I want to play, because if not I will ruin things for everyone else."

Obviously, I don't know the guy. But if he was in my group, then I'd either be booting him completely, or arranging a game of GoT without giving him an invite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've talked to a few of the people who were there for the fated game and they have said they would play again so long as he wasn't there so if I can't trade it I could still get a few games, but I would never boot him out. I understand what your saying but he is a good lad he just maybe had a bit too much to drink and the worst parts of his personality came out. Also...he is the only one who has Arkham Horror...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Id trade something for it mate, have a look in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.