Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have the core set and just two add ons at the moment.
I am totally beaten up and heroes die very quickly.
Does it make a difference in constructing your own deck,
as I have only used the 30 cards in one sphere. I really would
like to make a tournament deck of 50.
Can anyone give me a guiding hand in what I look for
in constructing the deck, and indeed whether this will
make the chance of 'holding my own' in a game a bigger
possibility. At this moment I get pummelled into the ground,
or maybe I'm just a terrible player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you're playing solo with one deck? This is very tough and many players have switched to playing solo with two decks (as if there were two players). There is also a solo variant in the files section that uses a single hand but allows five heroes:
Expanded Solo Variant v0.8

Building a 50 cards deck won't improve your strength - quite the contrary. With a small deck, the chance to draw just the card you need at the moment improves.

There are quite some threads about deck building in the strategy section of this forum:
Deck Building
Beginner Deck Building Tips: A Primer
Two Decks to Rule Them All (but only one core set)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're learning the game and using only one sphere....make sure it's not the Tactics (red) sphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I have the core set and just two add ons at the moment.

Which add ons?

Quote:
I am totally beaten up and heroes die very quickly.
Does it make a difference in constructing your own deck

Yes, a huge difference. The decks that come ready-made in the core set have a tough time beating the 1st quest, can't beat anything beyond the first, and tactics can't even do that.

Quote:
Can anyone give me a guiding hand in what I look for
in constructing the deck,

Assuming you have the first two packs, try this:

Aragorn
Eowyn
Theodred

Eomund (3)
Stand and Fight (2)
Wandering Took (3)
Westfold Horse-Breaker (3)
Hasty Stroke (2)
The Galadhrim's Greeting (2)
A Test of Will (2)
Northern Tracker (2)
Dwarven Tomb (1)
Unexpected Courage (1)

Dunedain Mark (3)
Dunedain Warning (3)
Snowbourn Scout (3)
Guard of the Citadel (3)
Silverlode Archer (2)
Sneak Attack (2)
Celebrian Stone (1)
Faramir (2)
Ever Vigilant (2)
Steward of Gondor (2)
Grim Resolve (1)
Valiant Sacrifice (2)

Gandalf (3)

Quote:
maybe I'm just a terrible player.

The game has more depth than appears at first, so you will definitely get better the more you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moeller
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I suggest constructing smaller decks (~30 cards) then slowly increasing the size as you become more successful till you work your way up to tournament size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You'll likely want to build a deck mixing in 2 colors together. It's a lot stronger than just working with a single color.

Pick a card or a theme you'd like to build the deck around and try to take cards that would be useful to achieve it.

For instance, I decided to have one of my decks revolve around Gloin and his generating 1 resource each time he receives damage. So naturally the helpful choice would be to include some healing cards/units from the green lore sphere. So I built a leadership/lore deck that had healing with Daughter of the Nimrodel and Self Preservation, and had leaderships resource generation (Gloin and Steward of Gondor) plus willpower questing help from leadership (Celebrian's Stone & Faramir). 1x of Dark Knowledge & Henamarth Riversong help in not being surprised by unexpected encounter/shadow cards.

When selecting the other 2 heroes, I didn't find Denethor to complement Gloin too well, as I wanted Gloin to defend (or take undefended attacks) so I went with Berevor instead for the card draw ability as I figured it would be useful after generating all those resources.

But after deciding what you'd like to build your deck around a good 15-25 cards of the deck just fall naturally into place, and you'll likely want to round out any deck with a healthy amount of ally cards from 2 spheres you selected.

With only the core set and a couple (unknown) expansions you may have to include some cards just to increase your card count and not necessarily because they fit great.Don't worry about necessarily having 50 cards even, 40-45 could work just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sorry it's taken so long to respond to all these great replies.
Firstly, the 2 expansions I have are 'The hunt for Gollum'
and 'Conflict at the Carrock'.
I played another game last night, again for one player and only
one sphere, and believe it or not, my threat level got within
only 2 of defeat, in just 15 mins. Each time I quested I had
a total of 3 willpower, as I needed someone left to defend, and
each time I turned over the next encounter card it always had
another 2 threats, making the total in the staging area always
2 more than my heroes who were on the quest, that is even with
trying to reduce the threat by travelling. I must be doing
something not quite right, or something else needs to be done.
This was with the tactics deck of Gimli, Legolas and Thalin.
I know one of your comments was "do not use tactics deck", and
I have only just read that comment, so very interesting to see
what your kind comments can suggest.
Thanks, I really do want to start to understand this game, as,
like many other types of this genre, they all have a hidden depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
Each time I quested I had
a total of 3 willpower, as I needed someone left to defend

For me, gameplay improved when someone told me that I don't need to defend every round. Your heroes can only soak up damage of one or two attacks, but with some healing or armor, this improves. I guess, using Gimli, you already realized this yourself...
Also, try to face every threat that comes up as soon as possible. Face the enemy, travel to the location. An empty staging area is key to success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, in a few words you have said volumes.
The only thing that I find hard to work out, which
can make you panic a little about the staging area,
is that you cannot do everything That you want to do.
I do realise that is one of the intentions of the game.
Can the base set and the pre-set decks give us a good chance
of giving the creatures a bad time, or is it meant just
to teach us the rules with the intention of us all coming
to the conclusion that we need to construct our own strong
deck out of the base set + expansions.
goodness, that sounds like a lot to take in, hope it doesn't
sound confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I tried to use the single-sphere pre-set decks all but once when I first started playing LotR. Like you, it was the Tactics deck and I think I managed to get about five turns done before my threat went over 50.

I'd definitely say that the game's been designed for players to take advantage of building decks of more than one sphere. Mixing Leadership and Lore together from the core set can make you a solo deck that'll see you through the first quest easily. It'll also give you a feel for building your own decks.

Have a look at some of the player submitted decks here and even give some of them a try out. I copied other peoples' decks for a good while until I found my feet with deck building and very often, I'll base a new build on a set of cards that I've built previously and tweak it from there.

Remember also that if you have the concentration, you can play "double-fisted" which means playing two decks as though it was a two player game. Making a solo deck is a challenge that a lot of people love but - to my mind - it's a bit more complicated and often requires a different deck build from one quest to another. As the game stands right now, there's no "catch-all" deck solo deck build that can beat all of the quests (including all of the adventure packs and the expansion) without depending on there being a good slice of luck being thrown into the mix.

Double-fisting allows you to build two decks based on all four spheres (two in each) so you get the best of all four worlds in your game. Whichever you decide, don't be scared to try out cards and see where they did well and where they didn't and go from there. In my opinion, single-sphering is an exercise in frustration and doesn't bring out the best in what this game has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.