Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Do you do anything to improve the looks and functionality of the stock aircraft or flight stands? I use ultra fine point Sharpies in black to dress up tires, air scoop intakes and protruding gun barrels. Dark brown Sharpies are perfect to enhance exhaust stacks and leather helmets in open cockpit aircraft. Dark green does a terrific job on the canopy framing of the Zero ace and Dark red to add an iris to the Flying Tiger's eyeballs really makes that menacing shark face pop.

To make the flight stand numbers easy to see, I use thinned acrylic paint (I chose white) to fill them in. I thin it to the consistency of half and half, then put a drop on each number. The next day, when it's dry, use a damp cloth to gently wipe away the excess paint, and a toothpick to clean out paint that may have got into the grooves that divide the segments of the hex. Your numbers will look amazing and you can read them from across the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

I've tweaked all my Angels 20 models a bit, with some extra paint detailing, and all with black pigment dusting, a technique I describe in my friend Todd's blog linked here:

http://itineranthobbyist.blogspot.com/2012/03/daves-maps-and...

Here's a before and after pic showing a couple of Spits with some tweaked details, and the final result after the model has been pigment-enhanced and clear-flat sprayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to pimp some of them to differentiate one from the other, but won't take much care of historical accuracy. They are toys for play and I take much more care for "real" replicas I make. For example I don't like the black scheme of Bf 109 wingman (I have 2 of them) and they will surely be repainted totally. Also Fw-190 and Hurs form 303 sqd will be changed a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightbomber wrote:
For example I don't like the black scheme of Bf 109 wingman (I have 2 of them) and they will surely be repainted totally.

thumbsup

Andrzej, a good proposition (they're prime candidates for repainting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried removing the insignia without re-painting? I'd like to be able to make a flight of Spits with different aircraft lettering, but don't fancy having to match the paint. Are the markings decals that can be removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The markings are painted on. However, they are the last layers of paint applied to the model. I have had luck in the past removing suck markings without disturbing the paint underneath by very lightly scraping them off with an X-Acto knife blade held perpendicular to the surface. some sort of magnification device will come in very handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lamb
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What scale decals are good. I've repainted the wingman ME109 tropical tan, but would like to add some decals.

Also, my Spitfire is already Malta Blue. I've been careful to paint around the markings, but would prefer to coat over everything and apply decals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Rochester
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hadik wrote:
What scale decals are good. I've repainted the wingman ME109 tropical tan, but would like to add some decals.

I was given some good leads in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/775539/anyone-know-where...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadik wrote:

Also, my Spitfire is already Malta Blue. I've been careful to paint around the markings, but would prefer to coat over everything and apply decals.

I have many 1:72 decals (fighters and bombers) left and they may be easily adjusted to these minis. Made some repaints today and will post them here soon.
Please note some markings were overpainted without much care at aerodromes, so you shouldn't bother too much if they stay visible a bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Well I haven't done it yet because I haven't managed to acquire any yet but I had the idea to paint the wingtips and tails of a pair of P-51's red. I've also had a notion to repaint any of the RAF duplicates I happen across so that they don't all sport the same ID numbers but that will probably take more effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternative to changeing the large markings...

1/ add a different serial number to each aircraft - many companies make such decals if not enough variety you can cut them up to make composite new numbers or just shorten by 1 digit per plain..
eg a flight of four aircraft could have serial numbers:
XM1234
XM123
XM12
XM1

2/ Search out some suitable individual plane art work decals..
For German/Italian/French a lot of medieval heraldry shield decals are suitable.
For allied aircraft - there must be lots of such decals out there.. even if not in 1:100, then 1:144 or 1:172 probably would look OK.. at some stage I need to start looking..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read this thread title I thought that some-one was putting their aircraft to "work"... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you have my pimped Bf 109's (those wingmen were the black ones before) and a Fw 190 Channel Front.

I know the crosses on the 109 are to big (I took them from my 1:72 left over decals), but anyway they look much better than the weird black originals (without crosses) before.

Used Pactra acrylic RLM 70/71; airbrushed.
Hope you like them as well guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sharp Andrzej!!! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Grenier ou bedon Grognard
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Anybody tried those ? Only Germany and Finnish though.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt.sneddon/Decals2/

From the link you will be on page 2, check out page one too, here : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt.sneddon/Decals/

J. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.