BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommend me! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Its been years since i have got involved in any sort of boardgaming/Rping.

Well this year i have decided to get my geek on again. It turns out my friends actually have descent so im playing my first session on Thursday this week. Which im really looking forward to. It just the basic game no road to legends etc.

Anyway, what im really after is something with a fantasy vibe, that i can get my teeth into. I have looked at Runebound but i am still unsure. Anything fantasy tbh, i have been out of the gaming scene for about ten years so alot has come and gone im sure so im calling on your knowledge.

Im being very vague i know, just trying to get a feel for whats out there.

Thanks,

Urge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The ultimate fantasy game at the moment is Mage Knight Board Game. The big problem with it is that it's out of stock and won't be in stock again until late April.

I urge you to read the whole review below, but here are some highlights:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/14/cardboard-childre...

Quote:
I know you’re probably ordering it already, but I’ll keep typing anyway. In Mage Knight, you take a character on an adventure across the hexes of a modular map.

On this map you will find:-

- Keeps that you can conquer and control
- Monster Dens that you can “clean out”.
- Dungeons that you can explore.
- Mage Towers that you can conquer, to bend the wizards to your will.
- Villages where you can recruit help, or pillage like a bastard.
- Monasteries where you can learn new skills. Or you can burn them down like a bastard.
- Roaming bands of enemies you can defeat to increase your reputation
- Mines full of magical crystals.
- Cities you can assault and lead.

And MORE.

Quote:
There’s so much more to tell you. I want to tell you about the enemies that are fortified in those Keeps, and how the combat works. How you will play those cards to siege a castle wall, or play them in an amazing combo that turns an unassailable encounter into a cakewalk and you into a roaring fool. I want to tell you about the PvP battles, and how you can take an opponent’s Keep from them. I want to tell you about how there’s a Day/Night cycle that genuinely affects everything you do in the game. I want to tell you about how your character will level up, and how you will choose exactly how your character develops. I want to tell you about the troops you can command, and how they will die for you in battle with your enemies. And I want to tell you about how those same troops will refuse to help you burn down a monastery, because it’s an evil act.

If you've ever played videogames, it's like King's Bounty on your table. And it can be played SOLO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alot depends on how many people you play with, and if you want vs, co-op, or "dungeon master" vs players type games.

Some suggestions from all of the above:

every man for himself confrontational: Cyclades, Wiz-War (eighth edition), A Game of Thrones: The Card Game, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game, War of the Ring (First Edition), Chaos in the Old World, Dungeon Run, Claustrophobia, Summoner Wars: Master Set,

less confrontational vs games: Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin, Lords of Waterdeep, Mage Knight Board Game (with optional pvp rules)

co-op: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

DM vs players: Super Dungeon Explore, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That sounds right up my street. I'll keep an eye on when its back in stock.

Also have you tried Arkham Horror? Thats looks like a good laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
morpheus133 wrote:

Wow thats a comprehensive list lol Ill look into some of them. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I recommend
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

laugh

And I thought he was just looking for a thumbsup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Lol modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Windopaene wrote:
I recommend
Bingo Bongo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

laugh

beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.