EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
1st of all- this is an excellent game. Absolutely brilliant- and unlike a lot of games with variable player counts, it's excellent with 4 AND 5. The only resources you'll collect are votes, nobles, gold, and squires. However, the feeling of going to war against the French is EXTREMELY abstracted- basically you send your knights off, count their strength against the French strength, and if you're stronger, you get points and the French (represented by a single card), die or retreat from battle. So know if you go in expecting part of a war game, you'll be disappointed.
Also, the rules are EXTREMELY front loaded. You'll definitely have to explain most of the game before you play, and the antsier among you may get a little bored. HOWEVER, once you explain the rules, and show an example turn, this game moves quickly, elegantly, and is one of the most interactive worker placement games I have ever played. It's also a bit of a mish-mash of euro, as it's part worker placement, part auction. But I highly, HIGHLY recommend it, and you get amazing bits for 60$.

For more details, click here for my review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't really a feeling of war, instead it is much more like pushing and shoving in a queue to make sure you get your resources and opponents don't get theirs. This is much more fun than it sounds, especially as you can promote your Knights within the phase to affect outcomes later that turn.
I don't recommend the game for 5 players until those players understand the game, because the down time can be quite a problem with 5 novice players. I've played with 3, 4 and 5 players and each time the game was very varied and involving, which is unusual for most worker placement games. There is no sign yet of stereotypical strategies.

I thoroughly recommend Lancaster, but allow an hour for tile punching (there are 12 tile sheets!), stickering pieces and sorting, plus get about a dozen medium size baggies to store the player pieces and castles which saves some set up time before each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy it 2P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I did not enjoy this 2-player. The dummy player mechanics feel stale and forced, and the voting is not very fun in 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.