Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the orginal core set and I plan on buying the revised set and the campaign set eventually. I get that, but what about all the little sets? This is my sons favorite game so I want to grab a couple of them soon.

I assume the expansion sets with the same name are the same as the ones included in the core set? ie. Recon Boys
So if I am not careful I could buy something I already have?

What about the Unit card upgrade pack. Besides the orginal core set, what other sets are included?

Is the Terrian tile set the same as the orginal core set, but with tile versions of the paper maps in the Revised set?

I am not intersted in Dust Warfare at this time, but I want to get a good mix of units to add to DT.

I am sure this thread already exists, but I got lost looking. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the unit card upgrade pack,
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has just uploaded some over-stickers in the files section to fix that.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/77312/dt-card-labels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Robert Florence's take on this:

Quote:
1. You buy a Core Set. The Core Set that is out now is different from the original base game, with all different units. I think the original release is marginally better, because it comes with cardboard map tiles, instead of a paper map. But anyway, you buy one or other of the base game sets.

AND THAT’S IT.

Everything you need to enjoy a lot of great games of Dust: Tactics will already be in your hands. But let’s say you want to go further, and expand your armies.

2. You buy some units. Ones you like. I recommend that your next purchase, if you like the base game, is a Command Unit. These soldiers don’t just give you extra fighting options, like most of the units do. These soldiers improve an already great game. They allow you to issue special orders to your troops, repair mechs, call in medics, and call in artillery strikes.

AND YOU CAN STOP THERE.

But let’s say you want to go further.

3. Okay, I said a Command Unit would let you call in artillery strikes. Only if you have an artillery enabled mech. So maybe you want one of those. Or how about a sniper team? Now we’re into choices. And choice is good. My next purchase was a sniper team. Why? Because snipers are cool, and they can target SPECIFIC SOLDIERS on the battlefield. That’s WAY cool, as Americans might say, in the 70s. But you might want those artillery strikes. Or you might want a squad of zombies equipped with power fists. Or you might want a gorilla.

See his full article here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/03/cardboard-childre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have both core sets...

The next step for me was the "original" non-heavy command squads. They really change how the game is played.

Then i went for the artillery set-up, initially to make use of the artillery skill of the command squads. So i got both artillery tanks.

After about a single play, i figured the combo was sketchy at best. To use the artillery indirect fire, you have to put your command squad in plain sight, which is not really a good idea. So the next step was to buy the observer squads who can do the artillery call-ins qith much less risk than the command squads. They also come with the snipers which was a bonus.

Then with the artillery, you will realize you may need a larger play-size. Go from 3x3 tiles to 4x3... At that time, the terrain tile pack was not out... so i got SeeLowë for it's extra tiles. I would suggest more the terrain tile pack at this time.

After that, it's up to your own tastes really. I personally went with gorillas (because i had the Ape leader from SeeLowë) and allies power armours to balance it out.

Then i went for the light tanks... out of personal taste really.

Then the heavy assault tanks... because they looked cool.

And finally Cerberus... for the building.

*however*
Out of all my expansions boxes, the one element that enhanced the most my Dust Tactics games was printing the 3D walls and bunkers from BGG and setting them up. They basically just replace the 2D terrain from the core sets with nice 3D components for almost no $$$ involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Gualtierotti
Italy
Castel Goffredo
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

*however*
Out of all my expansions boxes, the one element that enhanced the most my Dust Tactics games was printing the 3D walls and bunkers from BGG and setting them up. They basically just replace the 2D terrain from the core sets with nice 3D components for almost no $$$ involved.

I definitely agree with Martin. DT is a 3D game with great miniatures, but playing with 2D tiles makes it look like chess; using 3D terrain instead makes you feel like playing a real wargame.

My choice was toposolitario terrain (it's easier to build than walls and bunkers) but that's a matter of taste, both works are excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.