Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
3XXXDDD wrote:
it also creates a lack of incentive to participate in the competitive scene because there isn't any reason to win outside of self-satisfaction, which over-all creates a lack of interest to pick up the game in first place.

I think you'll find most people disagree with this statement. Everyone I know competes because they want to play against the best and win. The prizes are incidental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd say most people compete for prestige/bragging rights, more than cards. Cards just serve as a nice backup for those that don't come in top 3.

2. You've got listed the best alt-prizes. I know on Fantasy Flight forum, they REALLY want the special playmats that were given at certain tournaments. Alternate art cards are a great give away. Various card games have done alternate art cards, full art cards, oversized cards, and foil cards. All of these were really popular giveaways, which rarity wouldn't effect.

3. The biggest most prestigious award possible is to be made into a card, drawn into card artwork, or getting to create a card. Being made into card wouldn't work for some licensed LCGs like aGoT or LotR, but could be a Cthulhu cultist/investigator or Warhammer hero easy enough. But in LotR no reason a player couldn't be drawn as "gondor spearman" or equivalent.

4. The number one thing to AVOID would be a game card that is "better" that is only available from an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest mistake would be power cards that could only be gotten through tournament play. This could cause a elite power creep. Warlord the saga of the storms was the best CCG I ever played but that is sorta what happened with all the promo cards, mail away's, and lord competitions did to it IMO.
I feel that play mats, deck boxs, card selves, and alternate art would be some of the best options.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.