B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I own the basic Dominion and have no intention of buying any of the commercial expansions. I did, however, print the "king" card that was created by a geek mean to be used with the SoloPlay variant for playing Dominion solo.

I am thinking about buying the promo cards for sale at the geek store. Is this a good idea? Are they recommended. Is there one that doesn't work well. I mean to use the cards for mainly 2-players games. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the Black Market and Envoy cards. I'd recommend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are totally fine cards. I prefer Black Market, mostly because it's weird, but Envoy is an interesting card too. Just look at the cards and see if they sound interesting. If they do, go ahead and get them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Governor and Envoy. Black Market is mostly hit-or-miss, but since it's packaged with Envoy you may as well grab those two first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I wouldn't recommend Promos over expansions. You can get one of the small expansions for about $15-20. The promos are $2.50 or $5 each (and are no longer bundled together). So $15-20 for 12-13 new cards (about $1.25 per card) or $2.50 per card.

Still, that's off the point. Regarding the promos:

Envoy is simple, and adds a bit to the game, but it's a little boring - it combos with basically nothing, and just serves to make money + x (where x is Envoy) games more common.

Black Market is a fun, crazy card. It makes for really whacky games, which is nice once in a while, but not a card you'd want with only the base game as you'd get those crazy games a bit too often (unless you excluded it say half the time it came up). And with only the Base game the Black Market deck isn't particularly exciting either.

Stash is quite weak, but it's best combo is a card in the base game. It's not a bad card per say, just there are usually better choices in games.

Walled Village can be nice, it's a village with a bonus, the bonus being you can put it back on deck if you played only up to one other action. It can be good in say a double Smithy (or similar) deck, but it's another card that's often outclassed.

Finally Governor is really fun, probably the best Promo by a good margin in my opinion. It offers three very powerful choices, but gives your opponent something good in return, making it a fun and difficult card to play, always (and leads to fast games).

If you must get some Promos with just the base game, I'd go for Governor, Stash and maybe Envoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you would choose to get promos over expansions (except maybe for space reasons), but if you really don't plan on ever getting an expansion, then I would probably recommend Walled Village as a promo, since base set games are often short on actions. I would recommend Governor, except that he can really steal the game, especially since the original cards are less powerful than most, on average. So next I would get Stash, Black Market, or Envoy, depending on what you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not a good idea.

Each Dominion set has a different play style. If you like the base set, you'll pick up Prosperity. If you want something more complicated, you'll pick up Cornucopia and Hinterlands.

Besides being less Kingdom for the buck, the promos were, iirc, not part of the didn't make the cut (but are still fun cards) or weren't part of the original design set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I hear you all... though decision as I really don't play the game that much...

Edited to add: Thanks a lot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
michaeljb wrote:
I highly recommend Governor and Envoy. Black Market is mostly hit-or-miss, but since it's packaged with Envoy you may as well grab those two first.

Black Market and Envoy are no longer sold as a package deal. Instead, each is sold individually for $2.50 as well as Stash while the newer promos are $5.00 each.

With just the base set alone, Black Market is not worth it. You really should play Black Market with cards from at least 2 sets available so that you can have a Black Market deck of more than just 15 cards.

Envoy is a slight change from Smithy and adds a little bit of interaction.

Stash is a so-so card that I only bought for my "gotta have them all" OCD.

$5.00 for Walled Village is a little steep, as is Governor but Governor is an awesome card.

However, for just over $20 you can get Alchemy or Cornucopia for 12-13 awesome cards and a much better price per card value. Or you can get about 25 different cards from Hinterlands for $28 or the other big sets for just over $30. I'd definitely go that direction initially before sinking money in the promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff marner
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Besides being less Kingdom for the buck, the promos were, iirc, not part of the didn't make the cut (but are still fun cards) or weren't part of the original design set.

From what I've read from Donald X. the promos had been thoroughly play tested and hadn't yet really found a place in the current expansion (current for the promos release) and Jay wanted promos for various events. The exception would be Governor it was made specifically for the 10th anniversary.

IMO, one expansion is the way to go and if you don't care about boxes and want to conserve room you'll have no problem making one box work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
basm22 wrote:
I own the basic Dominion and have no intention of buying any of the commercial expansions.

I told myself this, too. I now own every expansion and promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.