Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Which games are overrated in the BGG list? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people rate games a ten based on anticipation, before they ever played the game itself, and won't readjust their rating. this is the cult of the new.

Lots of people rate old ass games a ten based on nostalgia, because they had a good time with it a long time ago, and won't readjust their rating. this is the cult of the old.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this basically the same question you asked a few weeks ago?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/777462/how-representive-...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similiar, yes. I rephrased a bit to get the "updates" of games into it, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Overrated is a silly concept. The actual
rating instructions are the primary issue -
they're based on how willing people are to
play things, which really doesn't express the
overall 'worth' of the games. Indeed, the newer
games are likely to win out on this, because people
want to give them more tries. An older game pretty
much has to be a stand by classic.

These instructions (if followed) also weigh towards
shorter games. Who's gonna say they ALWAYS want to
play a 60+ hour game? Or even an 8 hour one?

I've just kept using my rating system that long
predated BGG, and transcribed the values. It expresses
my overall respect for a game (which WILL favor older
games - I can't respect something I haven't played a
few times, and only after decades does a game deserve
a '10' - if it holds its joy).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alot.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Looking at just the top 100 ranks on BGG... games like War of the Ring Collector's Edition and Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition are ranked highly as they are just versions of other games in the top 100. They are still good games... but redundant in the rankings.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I deleted my post, becasue subject was too similiar. I should have phrased it way better. Sry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them.

That's what geekbuddies and the analyze feature is for.

M
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
These instructions (if followed) also weigh towards
shorter games. Who's gonna say they ALWAYS want to
play a 60+ hour game? Or even an 8 hour one?


I think the guidelines are OK. I just assume that I have the time and players I would want for the game and go from there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
rshipley wrote:
calandale wrote:
These instructions (if followed) also weigh towards
shorter games. Who's gonna say they ALWAYS want to
play a 60+ hour game? Or even an 8 hour one?


I think the guidelines are OK. I just assume that I have the time and players I would want for the game and go from there.


Hmm...I was taking that into consideration.
But even given time, heavier longer games are a drain.
Even when I had the time for a monster which I'd rate quite
well, I'd not always want to for the very effort involved.
Whereas, I'm almost always up for a game of say, Gin Rummy,
though I don't much enjoy it at all - simply because there's
no real effort.

I wouldn't bother putting my ratings in place, if I followed
the guidelines - they'd be valueless to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The ones I don't like are very overrated.

The ones I do like are highly underrated.
15 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
None. If a game is rated highly, it just means that it's popular with a lot of people. If you don't like a high-rated game, that's fine, it just means that you disagree with other people on a very minor issue (the fun factor of a game). The rating list really doesn't mean much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
Similiar, yes. I rephrased a bit to get the "updates" of games into it, too.

It's no more interesting than it was before. General ratings are what they are; no need to worry about them. If you want ratings you can trust, start a GeekBuddy list.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One can easily argue that all of the games in the top 100 are overrated.

For a better idea, talk to other gamers who know your preferences, or try checking out reviews from the same source (e.g. same user here on BGG, Board Games With Scot)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Sphere wrote:
recallme wrote:
Similiar, yes. I rephrased a bit to get the "updates" of games into it, too.

It's no more interesting than it was before. General ratings are what they are; no need to worry about them. If you want ratings you can trust, start a GeekBuddy list.



ackmondual wrote:
One can easily argue that all of the games in the top 100 are overrated.

For a better idea, talk to other gamers who know your preferences, or try checking out reviews from the same source (e.g. same user here on BGG, Board Games With Scot)


Problem is, certainly no single reviewer,
and likely no readable set of geekbuddies, can cover everything
that you might be interested in. The rating gives a pretty good
feel for a really iffy game (beyond that, the hell with it).
Reading the comments of those you aren't familiar with can
give you a lot of extra discrimination though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All the OP's favourite games are overrated, even the ones I like.

Fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, a game that is ranked very highly doesn't necessarily means it's an awesome game, it just means it's popular - and to be honest I think some of the top 100 continue to be in the top 100 simply because they're in the top 100 (even though there are some hugely popular games such as Puerto Rico that make me scratch my head and ask "Wait, this is supposed to be fun?")
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Euros are overrated. Ameritrash is underrated.

Or maybe it's the other way 'round.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
I deleted my post, becasue subject was too similiar. I should have phrased it way better. Sry.


And yet now there are plenty of replies to a nonexistant OP, which is really bad form. Next time you ask a redundant question, just hang your head in shame and let the OP stay. Especially if you've got people replying to it.
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
Especially if you've got people replying to it.

If nobody has replied to it and you delete it, it goes up in a poof of smoke, but yeah, once there are replies, deleting it is a bad idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
recallme wrote:
I deleted my post, becasue subject was too similiar. I should have phrased it way better. Sry.


And yet now there are plenty of replies to a nonexistant OP, which is really bad form. Next time you ask a redundant question, just hang your head in shame and let the OP stay. Especially if you've got people replying to it.
Sphere wrote:
COMPNOR wrote:
Especially if you've got people replying to it.

If nobody has replied to it and you delete it, it goes up in a poof of smoke, but yeah, once there are replies, deleting it is a bad idea.


That's one quirk I love about BGG.... they don't realize just that, so the 2nd poster looks like an idiot replying to "nothing". I tell people in such a position that they need to delete their posts so the 3rd poster in the thread now looks like he's responding to nothing, and so on
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
That's one quirk I love about BGG.... they don't realize just that, so the 2nd poster looks like an idiot replying to "nothing". I tell people in such a position that they need to delete their posts so the 3rd poster in the thread now looks like he's responding to nothing, and so on

I think the best bet is for whoever makes the first response to the O.P. to quote that post in full. Then, even if it gets zapped, people can still read the thread and know what was going on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
That's one quirk I love about BGG.... they don't realize just that, so the 2nd poster looks like an idiot replying to "nothing". I tell people in such a position that they need to delete their posts so the 3rd poster in the thread now looks like he's responding to nothing, and so on

I think the best bet is for whoever makes the first response to the O.P. to quote that post in full. Then, even if it gets zapped, people can still read the thread and know what was going on.
I typically do do that, but it's more meddlesome on a smartphone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Overrated games are usually the newer ones...over time they settle to their proper places. Currently (off the top of my head) Eclipse and A Few Acres of Snow are heading back down in their geek rating and BGG top 100 ranks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While the spirit behind this question is understood and interesting, the question itself is unproductive.

Every person who would truthfully attempt to answer your question would have either a different answer, or if the answer itself is the same, different reasons for coming up with the response that they gave you.

Play what you want to play because you enjoy the game, and move past caring whether or not the game itself is liked by the BGG community as a whole.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.