United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got our 2nd game in yesterday. Really enjoying the game. I've found the rules to mostly be pretty simple, but there's one last thing I'm trying to get right: timing.

Rockets can become an outpost (some or all of the cards), go into LEO (some or all), or decommissioned. Outposts can become rockets, or join existing rockets. Freighters can drop off their card in LEO, or join a rocket. Any of them (other than crew) can be decommissioned. I'm just trying to figure out the rules about WHEN these things can happen, and how freely (assuming you're not breaking any rules, obviously).

Also, as far as when you calculate things, am I correct in saying that the timing of that is that you calculate BOTH your dry mass and acceleration at the start of your turn? If, on my last turn, I dropped off an outpost with a card and couple fuel tanks, then at the start of my NEXT turn I would readjust my mass, acceleration, and keep moving?

The "mostly" in the title comes from one unanswered question. I've seen it asked here, but haven't found an answer. I know that "most" of the black cards' abilities have to be in the performing stack. Are there ones that don't? Does the one that works the same way as the ESA power (don't have the cards in front of me!) have to be in the stack it's affecting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the 2nd edition rules clarify the timing questions you bring up. Basically, the rule is that you can freely transfer cards between any two co-located stacks (including creating a stack, and including an opponent's stack, with his permission) at any time during your turn outside the movement phase.

Exceptions:

1. You can drop off an outpost during your movement phase.
2. Involuntary decomissioning can happen during movement.
3. The only way a card gets placed into the freighter stack is through a production operation.

(PS You say "freighters can drop off their card in LEO, or join a rocket". I think you mean decomission their card in LEO. Though I suppose there's nothing preventing you from merely dropping it off in LEO. They can also become an outpost of course.)

Regarding dry mass and acceleration, yes, those get calculated at the start of the movement phase and any changes do not take affect until your next movement phase. (Exception: if you burn fuel when lifting off, or use an afterburner, acceleration gets recalculated immediately after lift-off.) Of course, you should tentatively adjust your dry mass and acceleration well before your next turn (at any time after your movement phase), so that when your turn actually starts, you're all ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! So you couldn't add a card from an outpost to a rocket in the same space right before you move, right? But I guess you could have just added it at the end of your previous turn?

Can you not decommission a card, voluntarily, during your move? Say if you want to drop some mass from a thruster you only needed to take off?

Also, I DID find one rule saying a rocket ENDING it's move on a freighter can merge up, is that the only time that can happen? Can I not move the freighter first into the space with the rocket, add the card, then move the rocket?

How does that work with opponents co-located stacks, I don't remember reading that one? Does that mean if my rocket is at his outpost (or vis versa) we could exchange those cards? Do they then belong to them? Is that permanent until they decide to give it back (hopefully that'd be in your deal..)?

What about if they don't have an outpost on the board and you do, could you create a 2nd outpost by creating one for your opponent with your cards in it? Does it then belong to them and they have to agree to you taking any cards out of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
Great! So you couldn't add a card from an outpost to a rocket in the same space right before you move, right? But I guess you could have just added it at the end of your previous turn?
If I understand correctly, the "start of your turn" is not yet "the movement phase", so you can shuffle cards around at the start of your turn before you start the movement phase.

pusherman42 wrote:
Can you not decommission a card, voluntarily, during your move? Say if you want to drop some mass from a thruster you only needed to take off?
I am not certain if voluntary decomissioning during a movement phase is technically allowed or not, but in any case I cannot think of any situation where there is a difference between decomissioning during the movement phase vs. at the end of the movement phase.

pusherman42 wrote:
Also, I DID find one rule saying a rocket ENDING it's move on a freighter can merge up, is that the only time that can happen? Can I not move the freighter first into the space with the rocket, add the card, then move the rocket?
As I understand, you cannot do this during the same turn. All merging (and other stack manipulations) must occur at the end of the movement *phase*. This was ambiguous before, but IIRC is clarified in the lastest version of the rules.

pusherman42 wrote:
How does that work with opponents co-located stacks, I don't remember reading that one? Does that mean if my rocket is at his outpost (or vis versa) we could exchange those cards? Do they then belong to them? Is that permanent until they decide to give it back (hopefully that'd be in your deal..)?
Exactly. Somewhere in the rules there is a section about deals -- you can freely exchange and trade almost anything. You can even create another player's outpost stack (with their permission), which could be useful if your outpost is full. Of course, then it belongs to them and they are not obligated to return those cards.

Note that the latest version of the rules contains a clarification that the one-outpost restriction only gets enforced when you are not moving. In other words, you can have multiple outposts *during your movement phase* as long as at the end of the movement phase you only have one. This is primarily to allow shuttling of cards between two locations (such as a surface of a planet and an orbit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.