Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Prichard
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play an Action Card (for example, one that says build an urban building for 3 less), do you have to pay an extra civil action to build the thing it says on the card? OR is that included with the one civil action you paid to play the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Koller
Australia
Cherrybrook
NSW
flag msg tools
Great Underground Empire
badge
Explorer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Zamalvide
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Needless to say, that makes those yellow cards particularly attractive. They are supposed to be ballanced by the fact that they are narrower than their "lump sum" counterparts, but when you pick a yellow card, more often than not you know what you want to spend it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Prichard
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
And don't forget that you already paid civil actions to take the card in the first place. So in your example you're spending at least 2 actions to build an urban building for three less resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but without the Action card you still need to take an action to build the building, so basically you exchange one action for several resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
That was exactly my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Leon Trotsky wrote:
Needless to say, that makes those yellow cards particularly attractive. They are supposed to be ballanced by the fact that they are narrower than their "lump sum" counterparts, but when you pick a yellow card, more often than not you know what you want to spend it in.

This is why I always start drooling if my opponent gives me a chance to grab Breakthrough for 1 action. I KNOW I'll discover a tech next turn barring some really strange situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb
Action cards can be quite useful, but if you pull them too often, you'll find it is a waste of CA's you could have been using to build a engine that will pay the rest of the game.

Sure, you can grab an action card for science or resources, but what if you spend your CA's building a science engine or some mines?

Action cards can be good in some circumstances (i.e., to get things going or a tactical play of some kind), but if you are pulling alot of them during the course of the game, you might want to consider other better, strategic use of your CA's in your game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find action cards are useful for ensuring your hand does not get filled with techs you can't play and using up actions you cant use effectively elsewhere.

I'm new to this game but I am really loving it because like all good games the usefulness of doing something 'all depends'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.