Subject: External counsel - what's the benefit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game twice now and I really like it! However - I have one question regarding the external counsel. Is there any benefit to this more than if it makes you beat your arch enemy?

As of now we all have been using the externa counsel as a way to get that fourth VP (in order to beat your arch enemy). In other words, the external counsel doesn't get in play at all but for the very last round. It makes us feel that it hasn't really got any good relevance in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
External council has no in game benefits, but it is easy to acquire with very few actions (or even just incidental actions).

Eventually with further play, you'll like counsel more and feel that Shares are terrible and are only used for beating your arch nemesis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting 3 different external counsel positions is a VP in its own right, regardless of anything to do with arch-enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
External council has no in game benefits, but it is easy to acquire with very few actions (or even just incidental actions).

Eventually with further play, you'll like counsel more and feel that Shares are terrible and are only used for beating your arch nemesis.

I know I've only played the games two times, but as for shares they at least give you a in-game benefit as they give you more money, so I can't really see why I should go for the external council other than in the last round, to get that fourth VP for beating my arch enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik T
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Getting 3 different external counsel positions is a VP in its own right, regardless of anything to do with arch-enemies.

Oh! This! I've completely missed this part! This definitely gives you a reason to go for the external counsel. Thanx for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help The great thing about external counsel is that you can get them without even spending actions by having your division leaders replaced at the board meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth J. Mazor
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
The great thing about external counsel is that you can get them without even spending actions by having your division leaders replaced at the board meeting.

How do you figure? According to the English rules all dismissed members of the Board are returned to a player's supply.

This is stated clearly at the top of page 04, paragraph 2.

"... If at any time during this initial round (or during the game), all 5 chairs in the Board Room are already occupied and a player wants to add an additional Manager to the Board Room, all members of the Board of Directors are moved 1 chair to the left. As a result, the leftmost Manager is pushed out of the Board Room and returned to the appropriate player's supply. ..."

It is repeated in the second paragraph of example text for "1. Becoming a member of the Board of Directors:" (pg.10)

"... the current members of the Board each have to move 2 chairs to the left. Blue's Manager and Red's leftmost Manager are both dismissed and returned to their respective supplies."

Joining the board is (and I believe is meant to be) a risky endeavour. You may get a decent payout and end up controlling the board during the next Chairman election, or if someone else wants it badly enough, you may just get cycled right out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are misreading what he posted. He said that you can get external counsel by having your division leaders replaced, not board members. If your division leader is kicked out, he can go to either the board or external counsel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth J. Mazor
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey Chris -- UGXIX+7!

I am indeed misreading. Thank you.
It was the "at the board meeting" vs. "during the board meeting" that I snagged on. Got me thinking location on board rather than event in time.

whistle
I haven't actually played the game yet, just read the rules and am sprucing up on questions/issues before giving it a run.
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played it last night and had a good time. I lost though cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.