Subject: Discard term question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discard means from play in this game? If you can discard from your hand, it will say discard from hand, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly. What card are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember the card. I saw it in a playthrou video. But I don't see it mentioned anyplace in rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Protector of Lorien says to discard a card from your hand. Some cards will also say "Exhaust and discard," which obviously means they must be in play.

I think that generally speaking, to get the benefit of the text on a card that starts with "Discard...", the card must be in play first. But unless you remember the particular card to which you are referring, I can't be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
KenM wrote:
Discard means from play in this game? If you can discard from your hand, it will say discard from hand, right?
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, no card's text can affect any card that is not in play unless that card specifically says it can. So if a card says "discard a character", it means "from play".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rear Guard seems vague. It says to discard a Leadership character. I'm assuming that means from play? Not clarified in FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Rear Guard seems vague. It says to discard a Leadership character. I'm assuming that means from play? Not clarified in FAQ.

It is discarded from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

Card text does not affect out-of-play cards unless specifically referenced.

It doesn't need to be clarified in the FAQ. (Or in this thread, for that matter - that's been done, too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

It doesn't need to be clarified in the FAQ. (Or in this thread, for that matter - that's been done, too.)

I believe you. However, it does seem like it should be stated somewhere in the, you know, rules. I don't see how its implicitly obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention that

Rules, p.25 wrote:
Card effects do not interact with cards in an out of play state unless the effect specifically refers to that state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
manydills wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

I believe you. However, it does seem like it should be stated somewhere in the, you know, rules. I don't see how its implicitly obvious.

It is in the rules, but the word "discard" has such a history already in card games that they should have been extra clear about it. There's no chance that a casual player just picking up this game because Hobbits look cool is ever going to get this one correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
manydills wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

It is in the rules, but the word "discard" has such a history already in card games that they should have been extra clear about it. There's no chance that a casual player just picking up this game because Hobbits look cool is ever going to get this one correct.

To be fair, that's one of a frillion rules a casual player is going to stumble over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.