Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was running low on Testors Dullcote - a fantastic enamel spray for finishing off your minis (as I'm sure most of you all know).

So I headed to the local hobby shop, and looked around for some. After 10 minutes of stubborn looking around, thinking to myself, "No, it's got to be here somewhere," I finally gave in and asked the friendly shop attendant whether they had any in stock.

He shot me a sympathetic smile, and gently led me to the exact spot where where I'd been looking, and showed me a can. "Are you sure?" I asked, "I'm after Dullcote, and this just says 'spray lacquer'."

"They've changed their packaging," he explained, and pointed to a tiny label on the lid. "Don't worry, everyone else has had the same trouble as you."

Allow me to illustrate with a photo. Old packaging on the left, new on the right.

From the shopkeeper's explanation, I know that I'm not alone in being a trifle underwhelmed by the new design. But I'm curious - does anyone out there actually like the new packaging, with its relocation of crucial consumer information from a central, easy-to-read spot on the can to a tiny label on the lid?

Dammit, I'm going to have to get myself some lawn now, so I can start yelling at people to get off it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
It could have been worse, they could've written it in braille...

I guess they did this change for savings purposes, now they only have 1 single main label and can print the differences on the barcode label...

I use brush-on Dullcote, the label is similar to the left one on your pic.
Sidenote: In Europe Dullcote is "very delicate" to get (whatever type, brush-on or spray): It's an awesome varnish, unfortunately (or because?) it contains highly toxic solvents prohibited by an EU Directive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We carry that stuff in the store so I wasn't pleased to see the new labels when they came in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Birdman.

I am getting close to needing a new can so this is very timely indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So if they do the same with the glosscote and you are one to put on glosscote before the dullcote, you wouldn't want to lose or mix the caps. So you would probably mark your cans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Schalk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you so much for posting this. Nobody in the store knew for me and I have been standing here looking back and forth between the can and the mini it took me 5hrs to paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
It could have been worse, they could've written it in braille...

I guess they did this change for savings purposes, now they only have 1 single main label and can print the differences on the barcode label...

I use brush-on Dullcote, the label is similar to the left one on your pic.
Sidenote: In Europe Dullcote is "very delicate" to get (whatever type, brush-on or spray): It's an awesome varnish, unfortunately (or because?) it contains highly toxic solvents prohibited by an EU Directive...

There is an EU-legal formulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Good to know! Any webstore/ebay link where I could find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Good to know! Any webstore/ebay link where I could find it?

http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=produc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: Postage restrictions apply to this item, it is therefore only for mainland UK customers. Spray cans can not be shipped by airmail so we therefore can not ship to the EU or Rest of the World.
Not much use to a Frenchman, alas. Still, at least the text is there in big bright red lettering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
Warning: Postage restrictions apply to this item, it is therefore only for mainland UK customers. Spray cans can not be shipped by airmail so we therefore can not ship to the EU or Rest of the World.
Not much use to a Frenchman, alas. Still, at least the text is there in big bright red lettering...

D'oh!

Big bright red lettering that was off the bottom of my screen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have to find a french webstore then... Thanks anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls