Android» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions about the rules (twilight card cost for example) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Job Amundsen
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

Just played my first session of this amazing game with two of my friends this saturday. It worked out really well, and we were all pretty impressed with how the different aspects of the game played out (especially the plots).

Some questions regarding the rules were raised during the game, and we couldn't find answers for them in the rule book. This might be because our first language is Swedish, not English, but I'm going to post here anyways and hope for some help.

1. Regarding the cost of twilight cards. Several cards cost 5 (sometimes even 6), which left us confused. You can only light/dark shift 4 points. Does this mean that a cost of 5 means that you have to be maximum light/dark shifted to play or does it mean that EVEN if I'm completely dark shifted I still have to discard cards in order to reduce the cost even further?
For example, if I'm completely light shifted and want to play a light card with a cost of 6, do I dark shift 4 points (making me maximum dark shifted) and then discard two cards (effectively making the cost 4) or is it enough to just dark shift completely?

2. Regarding NPC status/favor tokens. Did we play the game correctly when we gave each character the NPC status tokens listed on the back of the character sheet and the favor tokens listed on the front? This resulted in Caprice having zero NPC favor tokens at the start of the game, Louis two and Floyd one (if I remember correctly). Caprice then never got a single favor token relating to any of her NPC's. Was that just bad luck from her player, getting the wrong cards, or were we supposed to have done something else?
Also, is there an active way for players to eliminate NPC's or does that effect only come into play when someone draws a card (or event card) specifically stating "BLAM! Dude is dead"?

3. Lastly we had difficulties deciding what Floyds "Tech"-cards actually was. In the end we decided that they were his Light Cards, but do they only relate to some of his Light cards? We couldn't find the word "Tech" on any cards or in the rule book, but as I said before, it might have been some kind of language barrier-thingamobob.

Great game and I look forward to playing it again, especially in 2 player mode!

Kind regards, Job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not managed to play Android as often as I'd like, so take my responses with a pinch of salt, but I hope I can help a bit.

jobamundsen wrote:
1. Regarding the cost of twilight cards. Several cards cost 5 (sometimes even 6), which left us confused. You can only light/dark shift 4 points. Does this mean that a cost of 5 means that you have to be maximum light/dark shifted to play or does it mean that EVEN if I'm completely dark shifted I still have to discard cards in order to reduce the cost even further?
For example, if I'm completely light shifted and want to play a light card with a cost of 6, do I dark shift 4 points (making me maximum dark shifted) and then discard two cards (effectively making the cost 4) or is it enough to just dark shift completely?

You have to meet the full playing cost - you can't just shift to max and then declare that the card cost has been met. This means that there are some cards you'll only be able to play by discarding at least one other card. However, don't forget that you can alter the cost of a card up or down by 1 if it's colour matches the colour of the current plot. So, if your current plot is the blue plot, and you're fully light shifted and want to play a light card with a cost of 6 and the matching blue border, you could do it by fully dark shifting (4 points) and then either discarding 2 cards (2 points) or by fully dark shifting (4 points), discarding 1 card (1 point) and then declaring that the cost of the card is actually only 5 because it matches your current plot.

jobamundsen wrote:
2. Regarding NPC status/favor tokens. Did we play the game correctly when we gave each character the NPC status tokens listed on the back of the character sheet and the favor tokens listed on the front? This resulted in Caprice having zero NPC favor tokens at the start of the game, Louis two and Floyd one (if I remember correctly). Caprice then never got a single favor token relating to any of her NPC's. Was that just bad luck from her player, getting the wrong cards, or were we supposed to have done something else?

This happens occasionally. It sounds like it was simply bad luck on Caprice's part, although in the last game I played as Flody, the only favour token I had relating to an NPC at the end of the game was the one I'd started with. It depends on the plots you draw, and the cards you end up playing (or having played on you).

jobamundsen wrote:
Also, is there an active way for players to eliminate NPC's or does that effect only come into play when someone draws a card (or event card) specifically stating "BLAM! Dude is dead"?

Yes, there is. If you check the board locations, there's one that lets you trade time and favours to start placing hit markers on NPCs, and with enough hit tokens, that NPC ends up dead.

jobamundsen wrote:
3. Lastly we had difficulties deciding what Floyds "Tech"-cards actually was. In the end we decided that they were his Light Cards, but do they only relate to some of his Light cards? We couldn't find the word "Tech" on any cards or in the rule book, but as I said before, it might have been some kind of language barrier-thingamobob.

You're right, Floyd's Tech cards are some (but not all) of his light cards. I don't have my game available to check easily at the moment (I'm at work) but a number of his light cards talk about being Tech upgrades.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
jobamundsen wrote:

If you pay closer attention to the Twilight Cards (TCs) you'll notice that they come in three colours (except for Raynold). If a TC you play on a player matches that players current plot colour, you can decide to dark/light shicft +1 or -1, so you can decrease the cost of TCs (or increase for you to completely light shift faster). Additionally, you can discard TCs from you hand, each discarded TC increases or decreases the card's cost by 1 So if you are totally light shifted and want to play one of your own TCs that might cost 6, you'd have to discard 2 TCs if that particullar TC doesn't match your current plot's colour.

jobamundsen wrote:

You did everything right here. NPCs are related to plots mainly. I can't recall Eventa Cards relating to them as well but I think some of them do. Everything else was right, hand out all NPC tokens (they sometimes come into play) and also hand out all the NPC favours as stated in the character sheet. Caprice might get NPC favours depending on plot and/or TCs.
Had forgotten about this one, so she doesn't get any NPC favours...

jobamundsen wrote:

Tech cards are specific TCs in Floyd's light deck. These are played on the table and have permanent effects to Floyd's great advantage. These are also the only way for Floyd to actually get to play the 13 Time that you can see on the Time Sheet. He's the only character capable of doing it and only one time, after using that tech card, he has to discard it. Here some of his tech cards:

- "We're installing an experimental chip" (blue)
- "Maybe we can extend your battery life" (yellow)
- "Let's try boosting you reflexes" (yellow)

There are a few more, but find these and you will also find the "Tech." in the lower part of the cards.Hope this helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenMnemonic wrote:
I've not managed to play Android as often as I'd like, so take my responses with a pinch of salt, but I hope I can help a bit.

jobamundsen wrote:

You have to meet the full playing cost - you can't just shift to max and then declare that the card cost has been met. This means that there are some cards you'll only be able to play by discarding at least one other card. However, don't forget that you can alter the cost of a card up or down by 1 if it's colour matches the colour of the current plot. So, if your current plot is the blue plot, and you're fully light shifted and want to play a light card with a cost of 6 and the matching blue border, you could do it by fully dark shifting (4 points) and then either discarding 2 cards (2 points) or by fully dark shifting (4 points), discarding 1 card (1 point) and then declaring that the cost of the card is actually only 5 because it matches your current plot.

jobamundsen wrote:

This happens occasionally. It sounds like it was simply bad luck on Caprice's part, although in the last game I played as Flody, the only favour token I had relating to an NPC at the end of the game was the one I'd started with. It depends on the plots you draw, and the cards you end up playing (or having played on you).

It is not bad luck on Caprice's part; there is no way in the game for her to acquire her Chairman Hiro favours. This is stated in the FAQ.

Quote:
jobamundsen wrote:

Yes, there is. If you check the board locations, there's one that lets you trade time and favours to start placing hit markers on NPCs, and with enough hit tokens, that NPC ends up dead.

This is incorrect. The location the above poster is referring to only affects suspects, not NPCs. There is no way to actively kill NPCs except for the few cards that specifically allow you to.

Quote:
jobamundsen wrote:

You're right, Floyd's Tech cards are some (but not all) of his light cards. I don't have my game available to check easily at the moment (I'm at work) but a number of his light cards talk about being Tech upgrades.

Hope that helps

Above poster is correct; the relevant cards should start with the keyword Tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Looks like you got this one right. You play twilight cards by light or dark shifting. You can also discard cards to help pay for twilight cards. But notice that there are other ways to help pay for twilight cards as well. For instance "Louis is in a bad/good mood" helps him pay for twilight cards. You can completely pay for twilight cards by discarding unwanted cards and not shifting at all.

An important strategy for Android is to end your turn darkshifted so you can play dark cards on your opponent, and to begin your turn lightshifted so you can play light cards on yourself.

2) You're on the right track here as well. Each player starts with whatever is listed on the front of thier sheets. (Extra twilight cards for Rachel, favors for Loius etc etc). The NPC tokens inherent to each detective are called into play by the event cards you periodically draw during the game and placed on the board. So keep all the NPC tokens handy when playing (even ones whose detectives aren't being played)

Each detective plays very differently. Louis is a favor gathering machine and can go off the deep end and start putting hits out on suspects. Caprice is a lonely clone looking for a boyfriend and Rachel is more interested in money than winning friends and influencing people... so some detective are better at things than other detectives, gathering favors is one of those things.

The only way for detectives to remove NPCs from play is to spend time with them and enjoy whatever benefits they offer. NPCs are also removed when new event cards bump thier card out of play.

3) Floyds Tech cards are mixed into his light twilight card deck. Look through his deck for cards highlighted Tech. Rachel has them too. Tech cards are implants and upgrades the detectives can get to make them more effective. They are basically played like other light cards.

2 Player... you're right. it is great two player. Just remember to deal out four suspects instead of three, it works better.

oh yeah, welcome aboard newuser. Android is complex, but worth the effort. Sorry if any of my answers aren't perfect, other players will probably be along to help. (Your English is great by the way, i wish i could speak Swedish as well )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Job Amundsen
Sweden
flag msg tools
Wow, thank you so much guys! That really makes a lot of sense, and I can't wait to play it again. I'm going to try Rachel this time, she seems really fun to play.

And I have to say, it feels great to receive such a warm welcome on this forum. I'm going to be posting plenty of stupid questions in the near future, so... stay tuned or something

Once again, thank you and what a great game!

PS. Nice tip about the suspects Cracky, I'm going to do just that in my next 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.