Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game yet. I've only watched the demos and read/watched all the reviews. I know there are a BUNCH of differences between this game and Nexus Ops (which I have played), but I keep being reminded of Nexus Ops.

1) Both games have variable power units, and often different starting forces.
2) Both games have each side exploring hidden locations/upgrades on hex tiles.
3) Both games have mission cards where you are trying to accomplish specific objectives to gain points. (These cards look VERY similar to me in both games).
4) Both games are a race to a set number of points.
5) Both games require the rolling of dice in conflicts, with cards that can influence the outcomes of the die rolls.

As I said, there are major differences too. Star Trek has two totally different "sides", and the rules/options are much more diverse. But the first thing that came to mind when I saw the board layout and the mission cards was Nexus Ops. This isn't a bad thing I guess. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same reaction.

Is it possible that Nexus Ops influenced the creator of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

Is it possible that Nexus Ops influenced the creator of this game?

Absolutely, and I don't think that's a bad thing in any way. Sure, there's a lot of similarities. But I think the differences make each of them games that still hit the table several times a year (OK, several times a week for Star Trek, but my wife is on a huge addiction of it right now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought about it, but you're right. Maybe that's why my friends had the same "Meh" reaction to STFC as they did Nexus Ops. I keep hoping they'll come around after more plays. Well, assuming I can get the game back to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two are similar... but I prefer Nexus Ops for its simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The abstract similarities you note are certainly there, but I find the games diverge pretty quickly (though I've only played Nexus Ops once and am unlikely to play it again anytime soon).

Nexus Ops is about managing your resources (economics) and min-maxing your purchases of new units. ST:FC has no such "economy" and your fleet size is set.

With many of the missions in ST:FC being public, there is more you can do to anticipate and try to foil your opponent's pursuit of VPs (though it is still difficult).

Nexus Ops seems more prone to "dice fest" criticisms and the luck of the rolls. With ST:FC there is much less dice rolling, and typically a good player will set up attacks so that the result is not dependent on the die, whether it comes up "1" or "6". A few lucky or unlucky rolls chained together in Nexus Ops can make or break an entire flank.

"Standoffs" seem more likely in Nexus Ops. I've only played once with some veteran players, but it seems akin to games like Risk and Axis and Allies where building up large formidable borders between players results in a defensive showdown. Without a form of attrition, ST:FC favors the attacker. Plus, the board is so big and missions so diverse that there's no way for a border-fortifying standoff to occur.

Nexus Ops is certainly the simpler game. I'm not convinced it's game play is actually any faster than ST:FC, but set up and rules learning is much easier.

Both are fine games, though they do offer quite different game play experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.