Hide
10 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game – Fame and Fortune» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The best civilization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Menotti
msg tools
After reading all of the forums, it seems that everyone has a different opinion on the best civ. Some think Arabia. Some think Greece. Some even think India. I made this forum so that everyone can have a goodnatured debate over the pros and cons of each civ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilikepi wrote:
...I made this forum so that everyone can have a goodnatured debate over the pros and cons of each civ.

Righttttt... Good natured...

I think that there is some agreement that Arabia, as printed, in combination with Endowment for the Arts, as printed, is a tad bit too powerful.

As for the other Civs, I enjoy playing all of them. Their relative strength depends on the game situation and the player piloting them. I would not say any of them is strictly superior to the others; Civ has a large element of adaptation and negotiations which is independent of a civilization's powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Menotti
msg tools
I agree. It often varies depending on the situation. Agreed, Arabia is powerful. Maybe if they only got 1 culture per resource spent, and if EftA wasn't so strong... Anyway, this may be controversial, but I think the Greeks are overrated. Democracy rocks, but their research ability is only best in the first half of the game and is pretty weak in 4 and five player games. But, it all depends on the game the opponents, and the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilikepi wrote:
Anyway, this may be controversial, but I think the Greeks are overrated. Democracy rocks, but their research ability is only best in the first half of the game and is pretty weak in 4 and five player games. But, it all depends on the game the opponents, and the board.

It's quite good throughout the game. The biggest issue is that the Greeks end up "off phase" from the other civilizations if they are teching correctly. This means that they will be at least 1 tech ahead of everyone, + have coins and no need to build trade infrastructure. It does get weaker as the player number increases, as this the chance for another civ to tech HBR and get a silk for a turn 2 irrigation along with the greeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notsteve Notlawton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My personal opinions, adapting to my group:
1. Arabia. There culture engine puts all other victory paths to shame. Even the best, luckiest, shiftiest russian couldn't keep up. It makes rome look rather weak and makes culture in F&F seem far too powerful.
2. Greece. I usually play with 3, sometimes 4 players. In those situations greece always has a steep tech advantage and a lot of culture power. The unit is nice for quick savage hunts and since our group doesn't fight too often, democracy kicks ass.
3. Germany. Definitly NOT overpowered, just strong. A smart german can ensure a tech a turn with infinite silk and raiding parties. And early metal casting can be a godsend if they can grab the collosus. Only problem is there starting tule is bleh.
4. Russia. Extra armies to enforce your will on others borders? A sweet government? Equal techs to your enemies? AND a tile that complement you well (gaaunteed turn 2 wonder)? Sign me up!
5. America. Best starting tile in my opinion. The great person deck makes them stonger than egypts wonder. The double production is nice, and the early banks are good. My personal favorite side.
6. Rome. A nice starting tile and good tech. Tere ability is okay if limited.
7. Spain. In my opinion WAY overrated. Though they are one of my favorie sides, there ability is only for early game boosts that set uP late game strategy. After that early boost they have pretty much nothing going for them. Tile is limiyed to lots of production OR lots of trade OR lots of resources, with no healthy middle ground.
8. India. A decent ability if not for its AWFUL starting tile and bad tech choice. Robs india of all it's potential.
9. Egypt. Starting wonder is nice. A couple hammers a turn is meh. Starting tech is good for hammer thieves. Not all that strong.
10. China. Read my other article "what am I doing wrong?!" for details. Also there starting tile is very bad.
NOTE: this list does not represent my favorite sides, or the one I think are end all the best. There were a couple close calls that I just used my gut on since I didn't want any tues. thanks for anyones time who read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siu Kee Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting arguments thus far. I would agree with most here that, all other things being equal (but what are we talking about? It's an FFG!), Arabia would usually end up with the advantage.

Deredbaron wrote:
10. China. Read my other article "what am I doing wrong?!" for details. Also there starting tile is very bad.
NOTE: this list does not represent my favorite sides, or the one I think are end all the best.

I'm surprised that China would rate so low in your games. Their zombie troop ability allows them to raid villages without much losses, and the 3 culture per hut/village is now ridiculously powerful with EftA. Their starting position allows them a definite library, if not 2. And universities are some of the most required buildings for a Cultural Victory. Their starting wall also act as a natural deterrent to enemy incursion. What's not to like?

In my play group, most the guys think that China and America are the only Civs which are still on par with the 'imbal' new races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Valmont
Germany
Berlin
Germ
flag msg tools
mbmb
To measure the power a civilization has to offer the best proxy is calculate how many city actions worth of bonus they get.

Also the time when they get the ressources is important. The earlier the better. I would furthermore value units, flags and buildings higher then ressources. Culture cards can be calculated as: lvl 1 : 0,75 CA ; lvl 2: 1,5 ; lvl 3: 2,5. GP are worth at least 1,5 CA.

For exampel:

Germany starts with 2 Infantry units and usually gets 3-5 units + 3-5 resources throughout the game. This results in aprox. 10 extra CA.

America gets 1 GP....and some production....

you can calculte this for most civs. Also note, that stacking limits, run speed, extra research etc. is not included.

But based on this basic calculation I would argue that Germany is substantially better then America.

For the rest of the civs, my take on ranking:

1. Spain
2. Arabia
3. Germany
8. India
9. America
10. Egypt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Arabia/EftA/pottery combo is utterly broken.

The Greeks are a bit too strong and I dislike the design of this civ in general. Their ability doesn't scale with the number of players and it is largely luck based. If you guess wrong with your tech in the first turn, it will hold you back. If you don't, you will be ahead and you will stay ahead because no one can catch up with you in tech.

All the other civs are viable, imo. While some are a little stronger than others, I don't think it effects your chances of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not even interested in allowing Arabia and Greece to exist - in the game, of course. They can happily exist as they currently exist or as they currently wish to exist or hope to exist provided this hope or wish doesn't inflict more overall unhappiness to the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Polychronis Perrakis
Greece
Kalamata
Messinia
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge = Power
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
I'm not even interested in allowing Arabia and Greece to exist - in the game, of course. They can happily exist as they currently exist or as they currently wish to exist or hope to exist provided this hope or wish doesn't inflict more overall unhappiness to the world.

laugh

Greece was just the next target of IMF, causing almost the same damage that caused to Argentina.. Mass Media are also making a good job misleading people and spoiling glorious Greece's name.. I would say, in other words, that we have been attacked economically (IMF) and culturally (Mass Media) from the west.. This is the new kind of war in "civilized" world..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.