Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyobe made experineces with this game timer (or game timers in genereal for more than 2 players):

http://www.akspiele.de/dgt-cube-worlds-first-multiplayer-gam...

I only recenntly stumbled upon this, thought this didn't exist before...
A friend of mine is a long thinker, and so I often thought sth. like this would be helpful to increase game speed a little..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to purchase one a year and a half ago, but man they're expensive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite good. Our game group organizer has introduced it to some games to add a new spin to some games or make competitive games a little more manageable time-wise. Formula De, Puerto Rico, Citadels are a few as I recall. I also own one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
That seems pretty expensive. Four-channel lab timers are available for around US$20 before shipping (e.g.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
robigo wrote:
That seems pretty expensive. Four-channel lab timers are available for around US$20 before shipping (e.g.).

But does that lab time include various types of overtime, for example? From the description, it seems to only time 4 separate things, which is less than a game clock does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
robigo wrote:

But does that lab time include various types of overtime, for example? From the description, it seems to only time 4 separate things, which is less than a game clock does.

No, it won't do everything that, say, a chess timer does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
What about the G8 Game Timer? I only recall it from the Dice Tower Top 10 Accessories. They seem hard to find, but they are around $25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot will depend on the type of gamer.

We all make jokes and groan about Analysis Paralysis, but quite often having the ability to ponder the agonizing choices & decisions in a game is a big part of the fun of the game. Not for everyone, of course, and not for all games. That said, I do own one of these timers.

I don't particularly enjoy using one where that pondering of choices plays a big part, and especially with friends when between-turn banter is a part of the social experience. Playing Hive with my friend Don for example.

For some games though, the timer does add a lot, especially when it's thematically appropriate. For instance games with a race condition, like Snow Tails or Fearsome Floors.

I've noticed that even when not using the count-down timer (and perhaps having a penalty for running out of time), simply having a count-UP timer (basically using it as individual player stopwatches) does seem to make everyone more aware that a clock is ticking, even if the only thing at risk is the boredom and attention spans of everyone else sitting at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:

I chuckle that a person with nearly 400 games feels that the cube is expensive.

That's okay .

Basically, I don't think I would use this gadget enough to warrant paying this much. AP is not a huge problem among my groups. If it were, and I played weekly, I wouldn't mind forking over for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just noticing that Timewellspentgames.com as the DGT Pyramid for only $17.50. This is the 4 sided version. The 6 sided cube is a bit more expensive, the the 4 sided one is a pretty good deal.

http://www.timewellspentgames.com/html/gamepage.php?id=4044

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
I was just noticing that Timewellspentgames.com as the DGT Pyramid for only $17.50. This is the 4 sided version. The 6 sided cube is a bit more expensive, the the 4 sided one is a pretty good deal.

http://www.timewellspentgames.com/html/gamepage.php?id=4044

I did look at the "d4" version before going with the cube, as the price difference IS significant.

One difference that sold me on the cube...

1) With the d4, you have to put the timer in its holder, and it will time the color that's face up. Put it flat on the table to pause it.

2) With the d6 (cube), it's the reverse. Flat on the table it's timing, in the special holder it's paused.

The latter just seemed way more convenient, as it would spend most of its time NOT in the special holder, timing the current player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skygor wrote:
What about the G8 Game Timer? I only recall it from the Dice Tower Top 10 Accessories. They seem hard to find, but they are around $25.

They work, and are programmable to a certain extent. I bought one I'm not using - I'd trade it if anybody is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.