United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Community -

We continue to progress toward our planned April 20th Kickstarter launch of Disaster Looms! As we close in we are looking for a bit of feedback on colors. We are planning on 4 standard colors - and possible offering up to 8.

What colors should we choose for the core four?

For the 5-6 play expansion?

For the 8 to choose from (customize your fleet Kickstarter Reward Option)?

Also open to continued general feedback ... thanks in advance.

BGG link and Facebook development page...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/112445/disaster-looms
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Break-From-Reality-Games/24698...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red
Blue
Purple
Natural Wood

Black
White

Pink
Darker Yellow

Try not to use Red/Green/Similar Brown or Blue/Yellow together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the player colors used?
they are players right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Salyers
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are player colors - yes. We are collecting some info from players during play-test as well. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone with color blindness will weigh in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin

Rhode Island
msg tools
Sayburr wrote:
I hope someone with color blindness will weigh in.

I would guess that's why two posts up someone advised against R/G/Brown and B/Y combinations.

FWIW, I prefer all of my 2 player games to be either black/white or red/blue. I prefer my 3 player games to be black/white/red or red/blue/yellow. I prefer my 4 player games to be red/blue/green/yellow. Past that, add purple and orange, and if need be move on to lighter/darker blues and greens. Additional players past 4 get black/white/grey if they are somehow special (e.g. the bioterrorist in Pandemic, or the silver/black robot in Ricochet Robots).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Color blind guy here.

What they said above ... plus this bit of advice: use symbols and shapes too. Color blind folks like the crutch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the four "standard" colors: red, green, blue and yellow. It bothers me a bit when there is no yellow, and I guess other people feel similarly regarding their favorite color.

I'd choose purple and orange for the fifth and sixth players, black and white for the last two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm colour blind and what nich said sounds pretty good to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Nicholas Vitek's suggestion and add to also avoid the blue/green combo unless the shades are very different like dark green and light blue or vice versa (also possible to be color impaired there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely use something in addition to color to differentiate the tokens, be it shape, letters or something else. A person who is not colorblind will probably not even realize that they are there, but the colorblind person will notice and be thankful.

Examples?

Ticket to Ride - different symbols in corners, different shapes of train cars.

Innovation - different symbols on the different colored cards. Betcha didn't notice them before if you aren't colorblind! (Look between the title and upper right age symbol, and then between each icon location.)

Uptown used small icons to differentiate the player colors as an assist. Note, this is 'UPTOWN', I refuse to call it 'Blockers!'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All Hail Shempezuela!
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another colour blind guy here. Blue and Purple can be easily confused w/ each other, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet.

Hard to go wrong w/ 4 of Black, White, Yellow, Blue + Red for your basic colours. Maybe Brown + Grey for colours 6 + 7. Orange is probably your best bet for colour 8. [Getting into the secondary colours is where it gets dicey for the colourblind, generalizing]

Of course, I second everyone suggesting that you consider symbols + colours; it might allow you to pick something more pleasing than what I outlined above, since the colourblind friendly colours could be real, real ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.