Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So being that there may be some questions as far as cognitive skill and eyesight; what are some good games to start out with? Please check out my collection and see if you can recommend some games to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SET is a good recommendation! Easy, fun, and can be enjoyed by many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be interesting to ask them what games they have fond memories of and try to track them down for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that pandemic might be worth trying from the cooperative perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
I think that pandemic might be worth trying from the cooperative perspective.

I'd be afraid it'd be too complex. Remember, vision & shakey hands may hinder playing some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisha Holloway
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might do well by learning some classic games that they may already know and enjoy, then maybe working toward more modern/complex stuff.

What about Cribbage, Dominoes, or Farkel? Those are all good games that have been around fror a long time. Or perhaps games that are a lighter, faster variant of such games like Hive is to Chess? Or perhaps lighter versions of popular BGG games like Forbidden Island is to Pandemic? That's my suggestion because I suspect that cognition and eyesight may not be as big a challenge as getting people out of their routine and comfort zone.

It's awesome that you're going to play some games with these folks! I'm sure it will mean a lot to them. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm thinking Hive may be an ace. What about Carcassonne or Dominion (if the eyesight is good)? I don't think those games are too complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your collection, I would try Biblios, For Sale, and Ticket to Ride. If you don't mind picking something up, I'd recommend Coloretto, which I play with my 80+ year old grandmother and she enjoys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games usually go over well with seniors, esp. if the numbers/details are easy to see. You have Bohnanza and that's probably a good pick. Easy to learn and IIRC, the cards are easy to see. Jaipur is probably good, too, although since it only plays 2, you may be limited there.

Other choices you own might be Lost Cities and Jambo.

Beyond that, I might suggest Forbidden Island as a cheap, easy co op. The tiles are nice and big in that one and easy to read and handle.

Maybe Haggis, too, as a good card came choice.

Oh, and the 10 Days In... series (any of them are good -- I prefer Europe and Asia) is an easy route building game and everything in it is pretty easy to see and handle. Plus, the theme is travel, so most people can get behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dian
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From your collection:
+1 Bohnanza
+1 Unnamed Object - especially the gamblers

Others that are usually popular:
Cheeky Monkey
Rummikub

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the seniors I know find learning new games to be quite a challenge, and even an exercise in frustration. With rare exception, cognitive abilities are slipping, and even playing old games can be too much.

I'd stick to classics with minimal hidden information and high randomness to start. Parcheesi comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
You will find seniors of varying physical and mental capabilities. There will be people not capable of keeping up with Wahoo, and seniors who will smoke you at Bridge.

Bring a variety of games and see what people are interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
dommer2029 wrote:
Most of the seniors I know find learning new games to be quite a challenge, and even an exercise in frustration. With rare exception, cognitive abilities are slipping, and even playing old games can be too much.

I'd stick to classics with minimal hidden information and high randomness to start. Parcheesi comes to mind.

Is this what I have to look forward to? Shoot me now ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider how many people you want the game to support. I used to volunteer at a senior living facility and call Bingo. Any and every one of them that wanted to could take part.

It also makes a big difference if this is an assisted living residence, a nursing home, or a retirement community. Again, you will find varying cognitive levels at each, but that could help you decide what games to bring. And if you go back, you should have a much better idea for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going in to some senior's home, just make sure you call ahead so they don't have you arrested for breaking and entering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I highly recommend No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.