Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyway to determine if a game on my wishlist is out of print or not? I'd like to be ale to quickly see if a game is out of print without having to research each game individually with the publishers. That way if I come across a copy I'll know if I should pick it up or not.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking in it's forum is the best route, IMO.

Out-of-print can mean multiple things.

EG an out-of-print game can be widely available. Where as an in print game may be totally sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Games are published in print runs of a few thousand, so once that print run is finished, it is effectively out of print until a new print run is ordered. From then on, it's a matter of how much stock is left in storage by the publisher, who sells a bunch to different distributors, who also holds the amount they purchase in stock while they try to sell smaller amounts to individual retailers, who also try to stock their stores with small amounts.

So the question really isn't "is this in print?", it's a question of does my store have any in stock and if not, can they order some the distributor? Then the question becomes does the distributor have any in stock, and if not, can they order some more from the publisher? And if not, then the question becomes how are all the other distributors selling... and is there enough demand from these distributors to warrant another print run and how long will that take?

"In print" and "out of print" are just catch-all terms for "I can't get anymore" and there may be a variety of reasons for this. Maybe the next print run is still printing. Maybe the publisher needs more distributors to sell out before another print run can be done. Maybe the publisher has more available, but the distributor isn't buying enough to keep up with the demand from their stores.

You may also want to see this thread for more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.