Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lost Battles» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Chronological List of Lost Battles AARs (Session Reports) in the wiki rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created the wiki page "Lost Battles" with chronological lists of battle scenarios included in the Lost Battles game/book, battle scenarios provided by others and campaign scenarios. Each battle scenario has a link (usually wikipedia, but feel free to add others) with more information.

The wiki page should provide links to AARs (Session Reports in BGG speak) available on BGG or elsewhere, so one can easily find many reports for a certain battle. Currently there are 58 reports for the included battles and even 13 for the user-provided battles and three for the campaigns! Many of them contain images of the deluxe board game, miniatures or Vassal.

Please use this thread to announce updates of the wiki page, except for Session Reports posted in this forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first AAR for Bibracte (58 BC) has been added: Prufrock's blog: Bibracte
It shows screenshots from the new Vassal module with the graphics from the deluxe boardgame:
(more screenshots in higher resolution can be found in the blog entry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small update:
I moved the Table of Contents to the right, so the page gets a bit shorter, additionally I added icons (actually microbadges) if the reports show:
 · mb images of the deluxe boardgame
 · mb images of miniatures or alternative pieces
 · mb Vassal screenshots or similar graphics

And I fixed two links pointing to the wrong thread or blog entry.

P.S.: Thanks to leroy43 for assisting me with this thread by moving it to the Sessions forum and pinning it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Thomas, thanks so much for providing this very useful resource. I can't think of any other board wargame which has so many online AARs - a key advantage of its systemic clarity which some see as undue abstraction. Aaron's latest Bibracte report with its clear turnly snapshots from the Vassal module is an excellent case in point.

When you get the chance, do add a link if you wish to my own just posted summary report on the Yahoo site of our Plataea refights at Sunday's SoA Battle Day. Please also note that the files section of the Yahoo site contains a very detailed 20,000 word illustrated description by Patrick Waterson of a Granicus refight, though you need to be a group member to download this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:
When you get the chance, do add a link if you wish to my own just posted summary report on the Yahoo site of our Plataea refights at Sunday's SoA Battle Day. Please also note that the files section of the Yahoo site contains a very detailed 20,000 word illustrated description by Patrick Waterson of a Granicus refight, though you need to be a group member to download this.

I just added both, and a dozen more AARs for Lost Battles (from the Yahoo group and elsewhere) and two for Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New small report (actually two) for Leuctra (371 BC):
Yahoo Group "Lost Battles": Leuctra refight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added four new reports in other languages with great images of the deluxe board game.

Three reports in Russian language:
Marathon (490 BC): Игра Lost Battles. Битва при Марафоне (Google translation)
Delium (424 BC): Игра Lost Battles. Битва при Делии (Google translation)
Pharsalus (48 BC): Игра Lost Battles. Битва при Фарсале (Google translation)

One in Polish language, it seems the tiles shown here have suffered some water damage or printing issues:
1st Chaeronea (338 BC): Drugie oblicze Cheronei – pierwsza rozgrywka w systemie „Lost Battles” (Google translation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New report (actually three) for 1st Chaeronea (338 BC):
Yahoo Group "Lost Battles": 1st Chaeronea at Salute

The next vacant position is Gaugamela (331 BC), anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an older report (from 2009) of a refight using miniatures and the rules of the book and added it to the wiki:
Ancient Battle Reports: Asculum 279BC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inside a thread about 1st & 2nd Mantinea which evolved into a discussion about randomness in Lost Battles engagements, a small report about Cunaxa (401 BC) was posted which shows some interesting applications/explanations of randomness:
Yahoo Group "Lost Battles": Cunaxa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just added Pharsalus: a Lost Battles variant game with further discussion at Yahoo Group "Lost Battles": Patrick's averaging variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One new report spanning two battles:
Yahoo Group "Lost Battles": 1st mantinea and asculum in Seoul...

P.S.: I wonder if anyone is following this thread or if most people are using the RSS feed of the wiki page. Please give a life sign (which could be as small as a thumb on any post here) so I know I'm not writing this just for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blog Gaming blog and stuff, which I did not notice until now, has two AARs with images of battles fought with 20mm miniatures: 1st Chaeronea and the very first report for Gaugamela.
And some days ago I added Delium times Four and 09:00 PM A pirate story... from the Lost Battles General subforum on BGG.

P.S.: Thanks for your life signs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now for something new, a video AAR!
Prufrock's blog: Video report - Paraitacene with Lost Battles

Unfortunately the background music prevents viewing this in Germany, unless using a proxy or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again a video AAR, and this is the first AAR for Trebia!
Prufrock's blog: Trebia in miniature with Lost Battles. Video reports.

This time without background music, good for us Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An unusual title for an AAR, but it is the first one for Ilipa (206 BC):
Yahoo Group "Lost Battles": Compliments of the season!

And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from me, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one for Ilipa (206 BC) and one for Marathon, both with pictures of the board game:
Maratona con LOST BATTLES (Italian, Google translation)
Ilipa, 206 aC, con LOST BATTLES (Italian, Google translation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Another here for Gaza, 312 BC from The Wargames Room blog.

http://ancientwargaming.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/refighting-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
butterbur wrote:
Another here for Gaza, 312 BC from The Wargames Room blog.

http://ancientwargaming.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/refighting-...

Thank you!

I added this and two more from the old The Wargames Room blog at blogspot for Lost Battles - 1st Mantinea 418 BC and Lost Battles - 2nd Mantinea 362 BC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three reports in French language from the Lignes de bataille forum:
Lost Battles : Marathon (Google translation)
Lost Battles : Platées (Google translation)
Lost Battles : Delium (Google translation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third report (with miniatures) for Ilipa (206 BC):
Prufrock's blog: Ilipa with Lost Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first report for Sentinum (295 BC):
Yahoo Group "Lost Battles": The Romans are coming!

And another report (with miniatures) for Cannae (216 BC):
Prufrock's blog: Cannae commences, Cannae continues, Cannae carries on and Cannae concludes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William Butler's blog: Lost Battles at the Miniature Wargaming Society (Sacramento) shows some nice pictures of Marathon (490 BC), Hydaspes (326 BC) and Raphia (217 BC) played with 6mm miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
July is a good month for new reports, one (or rather three in one) on BGG for Asculum (279 BC) (which I usually do not announce here as you all are probably subscribed to the Sessions forum if you are interested in these reports), but additionally there two AARs of fictitious battles in The Wargames Room, both with images of miniatures:
The Indefatigable Eumenes (Eumenes vs. Antigonus) and Cayster 317BC

I created a separate section "Fictitious Battle Scenarios Provided by Others" and moved Maronea (277 BC) here, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
The first AAR for Bibracte (58 BC) has been added: Prufrock's blog: Bibracte

After a short gaming hiatus (followed by some other things like becoming the publicity manager of the Society of Ancients, congratulations!) there is a new AAR on Prufrock's blog, returning to the first battle that was added after the initial version of the wiki page:
Caesar's Battles: Bibracte
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.