Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this game very much but am not particularly interested in playing the kind of decks developed for winning tournaments.

What I would like to do is play 2 themed, balanced decks agianst each other. I can find lots of deck ideas online but not 2 decks to be played against each other (I have the DSII decks & the 2 starter sets, which are a start + duplicate copies of almost all cards).

I like the idea of exploring some of the less popular cards and having a chance to do things in the Star Wars universe that aren't usually possible when playing against a tournament level deck, like doing those Jedi Tests on Dagobah, blowing up planets with the Death Star, Collecting bounties, recreating the battle of Hoth, Endor, Theed, playing a game based around Cloud City, Tatooine etc.

This would also be a useful approach when introducing new players, who don't have the time or knowledge to build their own decks.

I'm interested in anyone's ideas. They don't need to be perfect decks, just reasonably balanced, have some complementary theme and be fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have a folder full of themed deck list I had printed off from sites many years ago. I'll have a look and see if I still have it. I do have a nasty feeling it was thrown out in the great purge of 2007. Failing that see if you can find a few back issues of SCRYE magazine, it often has some interesting themed decks.

The FFG's Star Wars LCG may be what you are looking for story wise, when ever it is finally released.

Dave

EDIT: I'm afraid they were the victim of the purge of 2007 (my Babylon 5 decks weren't there either). I found the folder but it only contained rulebooks and faq print offs. I was hoping to locate the address of the pages and try them in the wayback machine to see if they had been stored on there.

Decipher did have a load of deck designs. If you google "wayback machine" and insert www.decipher.com inthe search URL, pick different year archives and see if any takes you fancy. Start with the older archives first. Ah, the memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've got a Dark Side 'Blow up Yavin' deck and a Light Side 'Destroy the Death Star' deck. I built them to play against each other with the idea that you had to blow up the Death Star/Yavin to win instead of the normal victory conditions. I've never played them. I'll try to find some time to post the lists later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like themed dual decks myself, and I made a thread about a Hoth themed one here. I have tweaked it a bit since I made that thread, but it is largely the same.

My other dual deck is Bespin-themed. It features a ton of TIE fighters and stormtroopers, Vader with lightsaber, Vader's Obsession, and Epic Duel for DS. Lando, Lobot, Luke with lightsaber, Run Luke Run!, and Cloud City troopers and cloud cars for the LS.

The two preconstructed Endor/DSII decks look pretty good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to go onto www.swccgpc.com and ask for ideas in the forum. That's the official website for the game today and I'm sure the people there have deck lists for you that match the type of gameplay you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good ideas already and I found some more useful links to matching themed decks in the thread mentioned below:

Aarontu wrote:
I like themed dual decks myself, and I made a thread about a Hoth themed one here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing themed games too. We come up with a theme and then pick cards that correspond - the games usually end up balanced without having to put any effort in trying to make it balanced. We'll usually swap decks after a game too, so if one deck seems more powerful, both sides get a chance with it. I don't have any specific deck lists, but here are some of the fun themes we've used:

Jawa & Tusken Raiders (all characters must either be a Jawa or a Tusken and Tatooine locations only)

Space Battles (no mains, only system and starship site locations)

Battle for Hoth (only Hoth locations and all cards (including characters) must have a movie image from Hoth on them)

Battle for Endor (same as Hoth, but with Endor locations and card images)

Scoundrels & Mercenaries (no mains, only use characters with the "Alien" icon on them).

I know you were after specific deck lists, but I thought this info might still be helpful.

*edited to fix correspond spelling error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For years a friend of mine has talked about building the ultimate "Jedi Test" deck but we never had all the cards we needed. Finally, last month when I went to visit for a weekend we wrote out on paper all the cards we didn't have and just stuck them in the sleeves to serve as proxies. Then, we played the game using the decks multiple times.

My point: if you find a deck design you like but don't have all the cards needed just print out the cards from online and use them, or handwrite them. It isn't as if you are playing in a tournament or something.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are my Blow up the Death Star/Blow up Yavin 4 decks. Instead of the normal win condition, the win condition for the Light Side is to blow up the Death Star, and the win condition for the Dark Side is to blow up Yavin 4.

THEY ARE UTTERLY UNTESTED. And now that I look at them, they are an embarrassing hodge-podge (I picked the starfighters based on which ones I had matching pilots for, so that I could make good use of Squadron Assignments/Combat Response). But the point is, as long as you have Yavin 4, the Death Star, Attack Run, Commence Primary Ignition, Superlaser, Proton Torpedoes, a bunch of starfighters and some Interrupts to make things interesting, you're all set.

Light Side

Yavin 4 (Starting)
Dantooine
Yavin 4: Massassi Ruins
Yavin 4: Massassi Throne Room
Yavin 4: Massassi War Room
Yavin 4: Jungle
Yavin 4: Briefing Room X2
Yavin 4: Docking Bay
Death Star: Trench

Millennium Falcon
Outrider
Gold Leader in Gold 1
Gold 2
Gold 3
Gold 4
Gold 5
Gold 6
Red Leader in Red 1
Red 2
Red 3
Red 6
Red 7
Red 10
Red Squadron 7
Green Squadron 3
Gray Squadron 2

Lieutenant Telsij
Biggs Darklighter
Jek Porkins
Wedge Antilles
Ryle Torsyn
Pops
Elyhek Rue
General Dodonna
Colonel Feyn Gospic
Lieutenant Lepira
Theron Nett
Tycho Celchu
Keir Santage
Hol Okand
Dash Rendar
Tiree
Captain Han Solo
Rebel Tech X4

Proton Torpedoes X4

Attack Run X2

You're All Clear Kid! X2
The Signal
Advance Preparation

Squadron Assignments
They're On Dantooine

Dark Side

Death Star (Starting)
Death Star: Detention Block Corridor
Death Star: Docking Bay 327
Death Star: Detention Block Control Room
Death Star: Central Core
Death Star: Level 4 Military Corridor
Death Star: Conference Room
Death Star: War Room
Death Star: Docking Control Room 327

Zuckuss in Mist Hunter
IG-88 In IG-2000
Slave I
OS-72-1 in Obsidian 1
OS-72-2 in Obsidian 2
Obsidian 8
Scythe 3
Saber 2
Saber 4
Scimitar 1
Scimitar 2
Black 2
Black 3
Black 4
The Emperor's Sword
The Emperor's Shield
Death Star Assault Squadron
TIE Defender Mark 1
Lambda-class Shuttle X2
TIE Interceptor X5

Boba Fett
Major Turr Phennir
Lieutenant Hebsley
Captain Jonus
Major Rhymer
DS-61-2
DS-61-3
DS-61-4
DS-181-4
Death Star Gunner X5

Heavy Turbolaser Battery X3
Superlaser

Commence Primary Ignition X2

Twi'lek Advisor
Uncertain is the Future

Maneuver Check X2
Combat Response
Expand the Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you want to go for a story-wise/themed deck, you might consider using a 100-card deck per side.
it would make for a longer game, but you could put more theme-related cards in it, try out more exotic cards/combinations and have the time to play it out.

EDIT: if you want to follow the movie-storyline, you could seperate your deck in different parts, adding the additional parts to the play deck at specific points in the game.

for example for an endor deck; in the first part you have the cards with the locations and rebel characters/ewoks who land on endor, facing a few scout troopers on speeder bikes.
as you come to the second part, you add the part which contains the heavier equipment like the rebel commandoes/ewok catapults/AT-ST's/AT-ATs/stormtroopers and bunker locations for the final battle for the bunker.
this way you can avoid facing an AT-AT right from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lew
msg tools
I used to play the game with friends back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Recently, a bit of nostalgia got me back into it. I've spent a lot of time lately constructing themed decks, mostly using the objective cards from the Premium, DSII, and Special Edition sets. With the cards I have and some I've acquired individually online, I have plans for six balanced decks:

Attack Run vs. Commence Primary Ignition
Echo Base vs. Executor
Jedi Training vs. Epic Duel
Smugglers vs. Bounty Hunters
Dantooine vs. Ralltir
Cross Vader vs. Cross Luke

The only decks that I have finished are the DSII decks based on the objective cards from the same set. I based it on the DSII light side and dark side pre-constructed decks. Here is the breakdown:

Light Side

Objective:
There Is Still Good In Him / I Can Save Him

Admiral's Order:
Capital Support

Capital Starships:
Home One
Independence
Liberty

Mon Calamari Star Cruiser x3

Characters:
Admiral Ackbar
Captain Verrack
Chewbacca Of Kashyyyk 
Derek 'Hobbie' Klivian 
General Solo 
Green Leader
Green Squadron Pilot x2
Keir Santage 
Luke Skywalker, Rebel Scout
Major Haash'n
Theron Nett

Effects:
Battle Plan
Haven
I Feel The Conflict
Squadron Assignments 
Superficial Damage
Weapons Display

Interrupts
Heading For The Medical Frigate
A Few Maneuvers
Careful Planning 
Our Only Hope
Recoil In Fear
Steady Aim x2

Sites:
Chief Chirpa's Hut
Endor: Landing Platform (Docking Bay)

Starfighters:
A-Wing x2
B-Wing Attack Fighter x3
Green Squadron 1
Milennium Falcon
Red 10
Red Squadron 4 
Red Squadron 7 

Systems:
Alderaan
Aquaris
Endor 
Mon Calamari
Sullust
Tatooine

Weapons:
A-Wing Laser Cannon
Concussion Missiles 
Enhanced Proton Torpedoes 
Heavy Turbolaser Battery x2
Intruder Missle x2
Luke's Lightsaber
X-Wing Laser Cannon

Dark Side

Admiral's Order:
We're In Attack Position Now

Capital Starships:
Avenger
Devastator
Executor
Stalker
Thunderflare
Vengeance

Characters:
Admiral Motti
Admiral Piett
Captain Godherdt
Captain Needa
Commander Brandei
Commander Praji
Darth Vader
DS-181-3 
DS-181-4 
Imperial Helmsman
Lieutenant Hebsly 
Reserve Pilot
The Emperor

Effects:
Combat Response
Firepower
Emperor's Power
Inconsequential Losses
Insignificant Rebellion
Mobilization Points
Your Destiny
Combat Readiness 

Interrupts:
Prepared Defenses
Dark Maneuvers
Flawless Marksmanship x2
The Empire's Back
Uncertain Is The Future

Sites:
Death Star II: Docking Bay
Death Star II: Throne Room

Starfighters:
Saber 3 
Saber 4 
Scythe 3
Scythe Squadron TIE x2
TIE Defender Mark I x4

Systems:
Endor 
Fondor
Kessel
Mon Calamari
Gall
Sullust

Weapons:
Concussion Missiles 
Darth Vader's Lightsaber
Enhanced TIE Laser Cannon
Heavy Turbolaser Battery x2
Intruder Missle x2
SFS L-s7.2 TIE Cannon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanz Mawto
msg tools
I was overhauling my decks on account of some ideas I had, and I saw your request. Where I am from, there's not a lot of tournaments going on--you have my sympathies--and so I build decks to play against each other. Moreover, I strive to make them flexible, so that they are not always played in the same way, and are not simply the biggest, fanciest cards. In short, these would be a disaster in a tournament, but they are fun to play against each other.

Both of them have fairly open-ended Objectives that are not essential, but helpful in achieving overall victory. What is remarkable is that they both contain two Epic Events that are difficult but not impossible to achieve in the same game (hence you have to choose), and the potential of turning either Luke or Vader to the opposing side. You can see what you think.

*Due to the fact that it does require some forward-thinking to play these effectively, I usually reduce the decks to thirty simpler cards for first-time players so that they can become familiar with the general strategy, indicated with "*".

Imperial Deck:
Objective:
Endor Operations/Imperial Outpost
Epic Events:
Target The Main Generator
Commence Primary Ignition
Characters:
Darth Vader With Lightsaber*
Boba Fett With Blaster Rifle*
Admiral Piett*
General Veers*
Grand Moff Tarkin
Imperial Squad Leader*
Death Star Gunner x2
Biker Scout Trooper x2
Stormtrooper x3*
Imperial Trooper Guard x2*
Starships:
Victory-Class Star Destroyer x2 (x1*)
TIE Fighter x3 (x2*)
TIE Interceptor x2*
Vehicles:
Imperial Walker*
Tempest Scout x2
Speeder Bike x2
Weapons:
Blaster Rifle x3 (x2*)
SFS L-s.7.2 TIE Cannon x2 (x1*)
AT-AT Cannon
Superlaser
Locations:
Endor*
Endor: Back Door*
Endor: Bunker*
Endor: Landing Platform (Docking Bay)*
Death Star
Death Star: Conference Room
Death Star: Detention Block Corridor
Death Star: Docking Bay 327
Tatooine*
Effects:
Battle Order*
Reactor Terminal*
Ominous Rumors
Establish Secret Base
Vader's Bounty
Interrupts:
All Power To Weapons*
Trooper Assault*
Imperial Command
Trooper Sabacc
Combat Readiness*
Sense*
There Is No Conflict
Join Me!
We Have A Prisoner

There are definite limitations as well as possibilities in this deck. Considering there are only a few Endor sites, a player could choose to play mostly on the Death Star, and blow things up, or play mostly on Endor (or focus mostly on taking the fight to the Rebels). Also, by playing enough sites to fulfill the Objective, they give the Rebels they opportunity they need to destroy the Shield Generator--or they could just keep the Rebels locked out and use the Death Star (I am surprised that more people don't use Objectives as a distraction)--or just not play the giant, flying liability the Death Star can be. (You could always play like Moff Jerrjerrod and blow up Endor if the fight goes badly...) Finally, as side benefits, capturing Rebels can retrieve some Force, and turning Luke to the Dark Side has obvious advantages.

Rebel Deck:
Objective:
Hidden Base/Systems Will Slip Through Your Fingers
Epic Events:
Attack Run
Deactivate The Shield Generator
Characters:
Luke With Lightsaber*
Han With Heavy Blaster Pistol*
Artoo & Threepio
Chewbacca of Kashyyyk
Princess Organa
Rebel Guard x2*
Rebel Trooper x3*
Rebel Squad Leader*
Rebel Scout x2
Starships:
Millenium Falcon*
Corellian Corvette
X-wing x2*
Y-wing x3*
Vehicles:
Snowspeeder x4 (x2*)
Weapons:
Blaster Rifle x3 (x2*)
Proton Torpedoes x2 (x1*)
Explosive Charge x3
Golan Laser Battery
Locations:
Hoth*
Hoth: Main Power Generators
Hoth: Echo Docking Bay*
Hoth: Snow Trench*
Hoth: Defensive Perimeter*
Hoth: North Ridge
Yavin 4*
Yavin 4: Docking Bay
Dantooine
Death Star: Trench
Death Star: Dentention Block Control Room
Rendezvous Point
Effects:
Traffic Control*
Battle Plan*
I Feel The Conflict
Death Star Plans
Interrupts:
Anakin Skywalker
Rebel Ambush*
Careful Planning*
Organized Attack*
Sense*
Artoo, I Have A Bad Feeling About This
This Is Absolutely Right
Trooper Sabacc

With the Rebel deck, there is a similar situation. One can choose to build up on Hoth with the sites, or avoid playing Hoth to avoid an Imperial attack, but if so, they must find another focus (the Objective for the Rebels is less defined, but less sustainably useful). Here, we also have the Death Star Plans to retrieve Force, and the ability to rescue prisoners. It is possible that Vader could turn join the Rebels if they are careful. Most likely, the Rebels will have to react to what the Imperials choose to do.

These decks are unstable and a bit crazy, and would be terrible in a tournament, but they are more fun to play. I have built a lot of decks, but these are my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
msg tools
Reviving this thread with essentially the same question as OP. I want to get a group of friends involved in the game and that's far more likely to happen with themed decks than competitive ones. For instance, even if it's a better strategy to have cloud sectors and Tibanna Gas Miners on Hoth, it's not a compelling game narrative since it never happened in the films!

So, has anyone else developed decks like this? I've already got Hoth themed decks, though they could certainly use some fine-tuning. I'd also ideally like turn vader/turn luke decks, a Jabba's palace deck, Blow up death star/blow up Yavin, maybe cloud city.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Gamache
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
I'll jump in on the nostalgia bandwagon (damn you Episode VII!) and ask for directions for decklists to build balanced theme decks.

I played for several years in the late 90's and I have quite the collection, but I forgot for the most part what the cards do and how the game is actually played! My objective is to create a couple of balanced theme dual decks to play with friends. Exemple : Battle of Hoth, Blow up Yavin/Death Star, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, etc.

Since I can't remember most of the cards, it seems unlikely that I could just go ahead and build decks off the top of my head. Hence, my need for prebuild decklists. If anyone know where I can find some, I will try them out, adjust them to my preferences if needed, and export them in pdf with SW-IP. I will them gladly share them with you right here! laugh

Bonus question : Where can I purchase singles online at a reasonable price to finish some deck?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.