Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago I had quite a few requests for balanced multi-player decks. Over the past year my experience, new releases, and restrictions/errata have lead me to change those original decks. I had told several players that once I had the chance to update the decks and get them onto CardGameDB I would provide the links.

The decks, for the most part, require 2 base sets, one of each large house expansion, and one of every chapter pack released to date. If you do not have "everything" then I can make suggestions for alternate cards; that is, given that you're not missing a large portion of the deck itself.

The goal of the decks was balance. One of the major things that plays into balance is experience. For example, a novice Martell player will likely not do as well against a novice Stark or Targ player with the decks I have constructed. Above all else my goal was for each deck to "do it's own thing" and be fun to play.

For anyone who is interested: (MP = Multi-Player, 2P = Two Player)

Baratheon MP
Greyjoy MP
Lannister MP
Martell MP
Stark MP
Targaryen MP
Greyjoy 2P
Lannister 2P

Full Disclosure:

The updated version of the Martell deck has been VERY LIGHTLY tested. The Lannister and Greyjoy 2p decks were built this past week and I start playing with them this weekend.

I'm always evolving the decks as I play so I'm sure in time I will come back and post newer versions but it's likely not to be very soon except for the three that were noted as newer builds.

I'm more than willing to take suggestions on the decks. I'm still only a moderately experienced player compared to some so feedback is always invaluable to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heh I was wondering why you submitted those all at once, when I was approving them I was thinking "Dang Locusshifter went on a deck building frenzy tonight"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
heh I was wondering why you submitted those all at once, when I was approving them I was thinking "Dang Locusshifter went on a deck building frenzy tonight"

LOL I spent two days building new and going back over my existing decks then I figured rather than overwrite the old configurations I'd just post totally new ones.

If you have the time and/or interest I'd be glad to get your feedback Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
For reference, for anyone who is planning to play these decks, I've compared Dave's decks against each other, and you can play any combination of Dave's multiplayer decks, including all six, or any two of Dave's 2-player decks, if you have the following packs (small-print packs are not used):

The second copies of Sacred Bonds and Calling the Banners are needed only for the multiplayer Greyjoy deck; the second copy of Return of the Others is needed only for the Baratheon deck.

According to what I have from Dave, all multiplayer decks except Greyjoy should also play fine 2-player. Greyjoy has its own dedicated 2-player deck, and Lannister has an additional, 2-player-only, deck. (Dave, correct me if I'm wrong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ward
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is cool that you did this, thanks for your time and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whoa, that's a lot of work! (From both of you.) And very useful. 5/5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Well, the work was really Dave's. I've been wanting to play his 6-player decks ever since his first (pre-errata/restriction) version of them, and now he's got updated versions that are again current with official errata and restrictions, I figure I need to get all the necessary packs I don't already own, before they get too hard to find. (I owned about half [the older half] of the currently released material.) But to do that, I had to sort through everything I did own to see what I needed to buy, and how many copies of it I needed to get. Turns out I needed an additional copy of three packs I already owned (as marked above). And lucky, they were still available—or at least I hope they were. I'm still waiting for my marketplace confirmation. I spent the lesser half of yesterday alphabetizing all the cards I already own so I'll be able to find them when the ones I have on order arrive. I still have 10 letter stacks to alphabetize by card today. yuk

But, like I said, I've been looking forward to playing these since Dave first released them. Was waiting for the price on some of the packs to go down, but then I realized—Dave, I can't believe I put off getting the packs I needed because I missed something like this—that the new packs have about 150% of the material (60 cards vs. 40) that was in the earlier packs. And so they cost ... wait for it ... about 50% more.

When Dave put up these updated decks, and I started counting cards, I realized that waiting wasn't going to drive the price down much if any, and so ... yeah, we'll be breaking these out next week.

All except Lannister MP and Greyjoy MP. Illyrio's Gift is OOS everywhere, but since it's a recent one I'm hoping for a reprint sooner rather than later. soblue

My wife really, really wants to play, but doesn't have the time to learn deckbuilding before playing the game. And I love the concept of deckbuilding, but don't have anything to go on because I don't have a history in it. So Dave's decks are the perfect solution for us. To jump her right into playing with a working deck, and me into playing and deckbuilding. I'm antsy with the anticipation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of playing these decks 2p:

If you drop the Quentyn's Guards out of the Martell that should take a rather "useless" card out for that format.

Otherwise I had previously played 2p with all of my MP decks. The trick is that recently I actually tried making 2p decks and had an epiphany about their construction and behavior. The Lannister and Greyjoy decks are a result of this. I think you'll find the dedicated 2p decks far more powerful in that format for the same reasons. Again, you can play any deck in either format but the MP decks are designed to come out in a given way, thwart and exploit in a MP situation, and rely on titles to some degree.

Oh, and not that I haven't always been a believer in Valar Morghulis, I now feel like it's almost mandatory in 2p, though the timing of when to use it is trickier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OhMee
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an awesome resource. But my concern is it's hard for me to access Chapter Packs. All I have are 2 core sets and all the deluxe expansions. I'm wondering if you can craft 6 balanced decks without the Chapter packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.