Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of deck building games, and I personally really like Thunderstone, but it seems I'm alone in this feeling amongst my immediate friends. I've played multiple rounds of the original game + expansions, usually to groans from my friends, as they don't want to play it over other games, but they usually humor me because I've spent a lot of money buying all the expansions.

When Thunderstone Advance came out, I bought it, and today I tried my first game of it with 2 friends. One friend didn't want to play it at all, but he went with it because another friend was over that hasn't hung out with us for a long time.

One thing my friends don't like is how long the game seems to take. After an hour of play, we were only half way through the Dungeon deck, even tho the game says it takes 45 minutes. This happens everytime we play tho, and we've had some games take over 2 hours.

Once I started using the Aird Seductress' ability to "borrow" my friends heroes for a turn, they were done and they refused to play the game anymore.

I'm not sure what it is about Thunderstone that makes my friends so angry, but I don't see it as much in other games. Most board games have an element of screwing over your opponents. In Ticket to Ride you can block routes, in Carcassonne you can block tiles, in Catan you can refuse to trade and block roads. In Thunderstone however, they get livid.

Anyway, my first attempt at playing Thunderstone Advance seems to have failed, and my 2 friends both quit on me at about the halfway point. It's sad cause I was enjoying the game so far.

I guess I can always try solo mode, since I saw rules for it in the rulebook. I'm also looking forward to the iOS app, as I would probably play it a great deal and have no qualms about screwing over the AI opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I'm also looking forward to the iOS app, as I would probably play it a great deal and have no qualms about screwing over the AI opponents.

I hear the AI is so realistic that the AI opponents don't want to play with you either!

On a more serious note, I'm looking forward to it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stroud
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm also looking forward to the iOS app, as I would probably play it a great deal and have no qualms about screwing over the AI opponents.

Have you tried the Facebook Thunderstone app? It's really nicely done. You can play with a handful of cards for free - then buy more at a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Thunderstone is one of the least screw-people-over games I own. Is the problem the inherent mathy-ness of TS? Because underneath the fantasy theme and the wonderful art, lies a calculating, numerical core. I know a few friends of mine don't like it for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly be interested in hearing their reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
I would certainly be interested in hearing their reasons.

The biggest reason for turmoil in our thunderstone games is who gets the rank 3 heroes. With there only being 2 of them for each type, 1 or 2 people usually gets screwed over. Just having 5 of the rank 3 heroes would solve a lot of issues in my group.

In the game I played last night, my friend to the left had his Criochan Knight, and he was going to level him up to the rank 3 version on his turn, but I took his Knight to use on my turn (with my Aird Seductress) meaning he couldn't level him up on his turn. He got so mad he actually smashed my hand with his fist when I reached for his card.

A bit later, the same situation came up. I had the Seductress in my hand again, and my friend to the left had his Knight, and the friend to my right had a rank 2 hero he wanted to level up as well.

Either one I could pick would piss off my friends. In order to kill a dragon with 11 health, I went for the Criochan Knight again, and my friend said "whelp, I'm done, see you guys later."

If I do get them to try the game again (or some other friends), I think I'll try to leave out the more "screw-over" type cards out of the hero/village area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
GibbRS wrote:
In the game I played last night, my friend to the left had his Criochan Knight, and he was going to level him up to the rank 3 version on his turn, but I took his Knight to use on my turn (with my Aird Seductress) meaning he couldn't level him up on his turn. He got so mad he actually smashed my hand with his fist when I reached for his card.

Wow. I hadn't noticed that a) the Aird Seductress get her pick from ALL cards in players' hands (unlike the Selurin, who must pick from among the cards offered), and that the used card goes into the player's discard pile (rather than back into their hand). That's really brutal.

Personally, I like the thieves, and the annoyingly direct interaction they bring to the table. But my regular gaming opponent dislikes them. She doesn't mind when we compete for resources (e.g. Level 3 heroes), but she doesn't enjoy my interference with her hand in a game that is otherwise mostly interference free.

Only 44 of 301 unique hero/village cards (~15%) allow a player to target another player. In any given game, there might be no available cards that allow this level of player interaction. If a player grows to enjoy the game via non-interactive setups, it could be a jarring surprise that every few games or so, I'm able to dump trash in my neighbor's sandbox.

I think it's less demoralizing when my opponent battles a monster that results in me adding a disease to my discard pile. When my opponent disrupts my hand, it can make me wonder why I bother to plan out my turn ahead of time, since I won't really know what my hand looks like until the very beginning of my turn.

Edit: this thread inspired the following rules question: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/784433/aird-seductress-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But there's 8 level 3 heroes available: if everyone's going for one stack, of course there's not enough to go around!

Also, your friend actually literally hit you because your card let you take his card in a FUN LITTLE CARD GAME? I don't want to just slam on your friend, but that's deeply immature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
But there's 8 level 3 heroes available: if everyone's going for one stack, of course there's not enough to go around!

Also, your friend actually literally hit you because your card let you take his card in a FUN LITTLE CARD GAME? I don't want to just slam on your friend, but that's deeply immature.

I hear ya. I enjoy games whether I win or lose, but some people aren't quite that way. If somebody makes a move that screws me over greatly, I usually laugh and say "well done" rather than get mad and hold a grudge.

Ah well, life goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are playing a Co-op or mult-player solitaire someone is always going to do something that is going to mess with your plans. My game group loves conflict and a lot of interaction. However everyone realizes its just a game and its all part of the fun and we can all trash talk and laugh about it afterward.

On a side note: I played this game for the first time last night and yeah i can see it taking longer than 45 min but I loved every second of my solo play. For me this game is way better than dominion from what i can tell so far but dominion is much better for a non-gamer and a better intro to deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Brown
msg tools
gecko1919 wrote:
Unless you are playing a Co-op or mult-player solitaire someone is always going to do something that is going to mess with your plans. My game group loves conflict and a lot of interaction. However everyone realizes its just a game and its all part of the fun and we can all trash talk and laugh about it afterward.

On a side note: I played this game for the first time last night and yeah i can see it taking longer than 45 min but I loved every second of my solo play. For me this game is way better than dominion from what i can tell so far but dominion is much better for a non-gamer and a better intro to deck building.

Another big factor is that a game of Thunderstone takes 2 or 3 times longer than a game of Dominion. As a result, it is naturally more susceptible to ragequitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things to consider are that:

~ people are inconsistent
~ people are moody
~ group-think happens

When a whole group doesn't like a game, it seems like there must be a good and logical reason for it that you can figure out if you think about it long enough. A whole group can't have an irrational belief, right?

But when you multiply group-think by moody/inconsistent people, it becomes clear that there isn't always a logical explanation. The mood may not have just "been there."

I don't count myself immune to this, which is one of the reasons I usually like to play a game a couple times on a couple different days before I rule it out as a game I don't prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
A few things to consider are that:

~ people are inconsistent
~ people are moody
~ group-think happens

When a whole group doesn't like a game, it seems like there must be a good and logical reason for it that you can figure out if you think about it long enough. A whole group can't have an irrational belief, right?

But when you multiply group-think by moody/inconsistent people, it becomes clear that there isn't always a logical explanation. The mood may not have just "been there."

I don't count myself immune to this, which is one of the reasons I usually like to play a game a couple times on a couple different days before I rule it out as a game I don't prefer.

True. My group's deck building game of choice is the Resident Evil Deck Building Game. We're all big Resident Evil fans, which is how we got into deck building games in the first place. It's a really well done game, and has far less "screw your friends over" type actions in it than Thunderstone.

Even so, I've had my friends say they just "don't feel like playing RE tonight." or other games. I'm the most hardcore of all my friends, as I can play board games probably all day if I was given the option (and I do on my ipad quite a bit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.