13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Idea for a mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Graeff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was wondering - what are some ways this mechanic could work in your opinions.

The basic idea is a balance of Yin and Yang in a way. For every nice thing I do for you, I get to use points to attack you. For every thing bad I do to you, I get points that do nice things to you. If you break the balance you take damage. The objective of this kind of game would be to bring the opponent down to 0 HP.

So, for example, maybe I play a LIGHT card which lets you draw a card and gives me 5 DARK points. I can then play as many DARK cards that would cost up to 5 - but they each add to my LIGHT points so I would then need to do nice things to you to. Say I play DARK cards and at the end, generate 1 LIGHT point that I can't use - I would take 1 damage.

In your opinions, would this mechanic work well for a game? I think it'd be an interesting mechanic that leads to a lot of strategy and timing, but I'm curious what you all think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds kinda like WIP System Down: The Customisable Virtual Reality Hacker Card Game!

Though this is not the only way to implement a yin-yang mechanic. Another way could be to play pairs of cards together, one dark and one light and their values must match or you take the difference in damage. Combo-ing cards in this way might lead to a very interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Lord of the Rings card games did something similar. A player who was playing the Fellowship put out cards which aided them, but were worth 'Shadow Points' (I think they were called). These points were then the 'currency' that other players spent to play harmful cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to use Yin and Yang, I think that it's not so much that one is good and the other bad. I think it's more that a balance is good, and imbalance is bad. So if you wanted to keep with that theme, the player should be aiming to get as many 'Yin Points' as 'Yang Points', while their opponent should aim to make the two totals as far apart as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Boca
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be:
your turn
you can play as many white and black cards you want. your opponent must respond with the exact opposite number. The difference scores for you.

his turn: now he can play free and syou must respond.

In this way you have to plan which cards should serve you "defensively" and which ones "aggressively"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait... how are we supposed to respond to this topic?

validate the OP's mechanic?
or
suggest new ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept is interesting, I think balancing and making this an interesting experience would be a nightmare. Everything positive that you do for your opponent would eventually need to be undone to be able to beat them, and then you're only going to want to play the good card if you have the bad card to counter it. So it doesn't really turn into "I'm helping you!" as much as "I'm playing a card that's going to nullify the effects of another card I really want to play because it's the only way to play it."

At least that's my gut reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the Threat engine from the Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Graeff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good suggestions for it so far, thanks everybody. I think that one of the core ideas for the mechanic, or behind the idea, is to kind of kill the opponent with kindness. That for every good thing you do, you do because you want to do something else. But, I think the cards could be balanced out in a way like:

LIGHT - Target player draws X cards.

DARK - Target player takes 1 damage for every card they drew this turn (or) Target player takes X damage where X equals the number of cards in their hand

This is just an example of a combo, but basically shows possible ability interaction.

From a 2 player perspective, I think it'd be really difficult - but from a multiplayer perspective it can be a little interesting. You do something to Player A, then do bad things to Player B and so forth.

I really liked the suggestion somewhere above that had playing cards in pairs, which is kind of interesting - a little like Battlecon in a way, but not quite. Do you think this would work best as a card game, or as something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, what about this:

Your hand consists of light and dark cards. To play a light card, you must discard a "cost" made up of other light cards, and to play a dark card you must discard a certain number of other dark cards (think Race for the Galaxy or San Juan, but with two separate suits) This means if you do something particularly nasty, you drain your hand of dark cards and have only light cards to play in ensuing turns. You also have to weigh the possibility of one monumental action against against several smaller actions spread over a number of turns.

Thematically, maybe you could do a cold war theme, or a high society theme.... something where you're trying to balance an appearance of civility with underhanded back-stabbing.

Hmmm... mind if I steal further develop this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Graeff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its funny that you mentioned that, but as I wrote the second post I was thinking that it could turn into an interesting high society type theme - everybody having their own plans and using others to get what they want and such. Kind of an interesting theme.

By all means, play with the idea. I am just working on the mechanic and trying to figure out what works out best for it at the moment. Getting other ideas of how it can be played out and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragkin wrote:

From a 2 player perspective, I think it'd be really difficult - but from a multiplayer perspective it can be a little interesting. You do something to Player A, then do bad things to Player B and so forth.

Actually, I was thinking the opposite. Seems like the "attack the leader" problem would be huge if I could always choose to be nice to the runt and mean to the stud. There would also be serious "kingmaker" issues in the end game. With this in mind, I was thinking the two player game would be the SIMPLER design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.