Subject: POLL! My next game vid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
So I did a video review of Helvetia the other day, which seemed to be well received (link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/15591/helvetia/helvetia-g...)

I did it because a few people were asking for one, and there didn't seem to be one available, so "what the heck", I figured. The results seemed pretty popular, and a bunch of people asked me to do another, so I figured again, "what the heck".

But like last time, I'd like to do a vid that people would actually find useful. Looking through my collection, it seems that most of my games already have good vids available, but there were a few that are unserved. So I'm wondering if anyone has any preference for which one I do next. Hence, POLL TIME!

(since I can't upload another vid for a week anyway becuase of the 500megs/week limit on Vimeo, and I don't know how to post vids to youtube that are longer than 15 min, I figure there's enough time to get a few answers)

Poll
Which one shall it be?
  Would LOVE IT! Sure, that'd be fine. Don't bother kid!
Prêt-à-Porter - awesome business simulator, one of the best games of 2011 (or 2010 depending on your POV)
Saint Petersburg - one of the all time best economic card games
Vikings - wonderful spinning rondel with great and tense decision making
Carcassonne: The Castle - the best Carc for 2p, IMO (these are all, IMO, btw)
Mykerinos - one of the few area control games that I think works well 2p
Peloponnes - my wife's and my favourite auction game ("Ra killer", to use eekamouse's phrasing)
The Hanging Gardens - sweet little card tableau-building game, works best with 2p I think
Key Harvest - a perpetual bargain on Amazon, and a nice game to boot
First Train to Nuremberg - great Martin Wallace train game that focuses on smaller more intimate space, with some great unique twists
Palazzo - nice Kinizia tile building game with interesting multi-monetary auctions
Hellas - the only wargame my wife and I enjoy
Coney Island - sweet tile laying game from 2011 which should have gotten more attention
Fortuna - beautiful resource conversion game from 2011 which should have also gotten more attention
Islas Canarias - a light town builder/card game
Agricola Express - a PnP game that amazingly distils all the goodness of Agricola into a half hour portable dice game
Food Chain - a wonderful indi-produced card game that's very clever
      78 answers
Poll created by rahdo

Thanks for your interest. Or if there's something in my collection I didn't list here that you think I should have, let me know.

P.S. on my next vid, I think the shakey cam will be much more under control, but I won't be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how the first two voters couldn't be more diametrically opposed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed your first review and am definitely looking forward to new ones. Thanks for putting in the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that you traded it away, but is there any chance you could borrow Village from a friend or FLGS to review? meeple Also, Through the Ages has been on my radar for a looong time. I've heard it plays well with two, but because of a dense rules set and three hour playing time, I haven't pulled the trigger on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I bitterly regret trading away Village (I'm sure there's some geeklist of bitter regrets I could add this too). I'm sure if I'd given her time, Jen could have gotten emotionally comfortable with her worker pawns growing old and dying. And I can't believe no one has done a video for it yet, the game is SOOO good.

I checked and no one in the Woking or Guildford game clubs (and therefore no one near me that I know of) has it, unfortunately, or I'd be happy to borrow and film. Maybe I should start a Kickstarter campaign to fund the purchase of a new copy! Or maybe Eggertspiele or 999 Games or TMG will see this and send me a copy for the publicity (hint hint!)

I do know a guy with Through the Ages though (I think), and I do know how to play it, so making a vid for it similar to the Helvetia one would be a piece of piss (not my favourite English expression, btw). However, looks like Ryan Sturm is about to do a 3 part podcast going through it, which I'm sure will be very thorough, though I guess it'll be audio only.

Tell you what, if you're not in a hurry, lets wait to see how Ryan's podcast works for you. If it's a no go, maybe Through the Ages would be my third vid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I really enjoyed your vid, even directed someone asking about Helvetia/Village to it. Probably best to give vidies to games that are currently lacking them I would think.

Keep up the excellent work sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, well Pret looks like it's go the highest percentage of people who would love to see a vid, but Fortuna has the lowest percentage of people who don't care. Hmm...

Well, I'll try to get one of them (or First Train to Nuremberg) done this afternoon and posted by tomorrow (I still don't know how to downsample files... last time it took almost 10 hours of frustration... still open to suggestions from people who actually know how to do this )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Horn
United States
FPO
AE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Train would be great, if for no other reason than that there aren't any rules videos and the game's rulebook isn't exactly clear. I've had this one for a few months and have yet to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with this poll and the great games you listed, you have cornered yourself into giving each of them some love. Oops!

Oops for you but not for us! Get started, sir! devil

In all seriousness, you picked some very popular games that have few to no videos attached to them. Thanks for the poll and I'll be happy to watch anything you post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a Pret vid today, but unfortunately the steadycam software for iphone gobbled the whole vid up (it was almost an hour long, 1 take... AAAARGH!!!!) Will try again tomorrow...

BTW, for those whose eyebrows raised reading that, it was an hour long because in addition to doing setup on camera and talking through how it all worked, I also played through 3 rounds (25% of the game) to introduce and explain how everything worked, in detail. But now that I've done it once, it might be a bit shorter tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch! I feel badly for you. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
Ouch! I feel badly for you. soblue

Thanks, don't worry though. I genuinely enjoy doing the recording... I think I'm a junkie for talking to cameras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Querns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I did a Pret vid today, but unfortunately the steadycam software for iphone gobbled the whole vid up (it was almost an hour long, 1 take... AAAARGH!!!!) Will try again tomorrow...

BTW, for those whose eyebrows raised reading that, it was an hour long because in addition to doing setup on camera and talking through how it all worked, I also played through 3 rounds (25% of the game) to introduce and explain how everything worked, in detail. But now that I've done it once, it might be a bit shorter tomorrow
I know why don't you sell a load of your games and buy a proper video camera?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, every single one of my votes went with the majority... There goes any luck I was intending to have for the March G4GG listings shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got a half way decent recording of Pret today that didn't get deleted. I'm trying to upload the whole thing (45 minutes long) to Youtube right now (apparently it's really easy to change your account to have longer than 15 minute vids). However, the whole file is 3.5 gigs, so I will take another 12 hours or so (fingers crossed).

So if it made it, I'll put some annotations in tomorrow morning to correct a few little mistakes I made (love that about youtube vids), and then get it linked on BGG. Huzzah!

If this all goes well, I reckon I'll do First Train to Nuremberg next since it's surged in the polls. Although, this weekend, I'm expecting to get a new copy of Santa Cruz and Hawaii, so maybe those would be more popular. More POLLS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Finally got a half way decent recording of Pret today that didn't get deleted. I'm trying to upload the whole thing (45 minutes long) to Youtube right now (apparently it's really easy to change your account to have longer than 15 minute vids). However, the whole file is 3.5 gigs, so I will take another 12 hours or so (fingers crossed).

So if it made it, I'll put some annotations in tomorrow morning to correct a few little mistakes I made (love that about youtube vids), and then get it linked on BGG. Huzzah!

If this all goes well, I reckon I'll do First Train to Nuremberg next since it's surged in the polls. Although, this weekend, I'm expecting to get a new copy of Santa Cruz and Hawaii, so maybe those would be more popular. More POLLS!

Oh, yeah! BGG fun is BACK!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pret vid is up, looking forward to what everyone thinks (especially thoughts about using Youtubes anti-shake compensation stuff)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/15747/pret-a-porter/pret-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The First Train to Nuremberg vid is now uploading, but it probably will take another 8 hours, and then another 6 for the video stabilizer software to run it over.

Just started a poll for my 4th vid. Please vote!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/786412/poll-2-my-4th-gam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAAAAAnd, Nuremberg is uploaded: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/15800/first-train-to-nure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Horn
United States
FPO
AE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After your third video I think we can go ahead and set up your video review geeklist so we can find all your reviews in one spot. I'll be one of your first subscribers!

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to vote, but then realised I was putting "sure" in every category, so I didn't bother! It turns out nothing here turns me off, but none of them are high on my "to investigate" list either... Doesn't mean you wouldn't put one on my list by making a video about it though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jiiri1 wrote:
After your third video I think we can go ahead and set up your video review geeklist so we can find all your reviews in one spot. I'll be one of your first subscribers!

Mark

Your wish is my command:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140177/boardgame-walkt...

Tegs wrote:
I was going to vote, but then realised I was putting "sure" in every category, so I didn't bother! It turns out nothing here turns me off, but none of them are high on my "to investigate" list either... Doesn't mean you wouldn't put one on my list by making a video about it though!

Well, if there are any in my collection (here's a link) that do really interest you that I didn't list, let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Lowe
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass! Please! Pretty please? Cherry etc.

I recently bought one of Aenea's 2-player boards, and would love to see some gameplay from someone who already knows the ropes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, if I'd known you were buying a 2p board, I would have chipped in and gone for a co-buy with ya to save on shipping! I are envious! How much did it cost in the end to get to you? Did you have to pay import duties?

Brass is awesome, but my question is: is another video of it needed, since there's already a bunch of content for it (a Dice Tower review, a full playthrough of a 3p game, a UvulaBob animated 2 part vid, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Lowe
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Oh man, if I'd known you were buying a 2p board, I would have chipped in and gone for a co-buy with ya to save on shipping! I are envious! How much did it cost in the end to get to you? Did you have to pay import duties?

It cost 45 euro, including shipping. And no customs charges on top. I picked up on a Brass thread, maybe initiated by Matt Thrower, I can't remember. I didn't realise any other UK-based punters were interested :(

On the one hand, it's more than I paid (well, traded) for the game. On the other...what can I say...I enjoy the visual appeal of games sufficiently to appreciate a nice clean board.

rahdo wrote:
Brass is awesome, but my question is: is another video of it needed, since there's already a bunch of content for it (a Dice Tower review, a full playthrough of a 3p game, a UvulaBob animated 2 part vid, etc.)?

Dice Tower & UB are definitely in a different space, so I made my request despite their existence. But the 3p walkthrough is new to me (only posted a few weeks ago?), and is maybe ploughing a similar furrow to yourself. I'll check that out - ta v much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.