Subject: The Organization vs. "The Villain" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card refers to "the villain" (generally environment cards, although some hero cards assume a singular villain as well), how does that interact with The Chairman and The Operative, assuming they're both active? Do we have to choose which one, or does it affect both of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I believe the Chairman is the real "villain", which is why his card actually has the Villain subtype and The Operative needs a "the heroes cannot win the game" clause. So anything that requires a singular villain character to take action, such as determining who deals damage to Dr. Tremata, should be assumed to refer to the Chairman. I think this should even apply after the Chairman is dead; Omnitron provides a precedent for continuing to run the game without a living Villain.

So The Operative shouldn't take the actions ascribed to a necessarily singular "the villain", but because she is still so much like a villain, she should still share all the immunities of the villain, such as immunity to "Wrest the Mind".

In other words, any effect that could handle multiple villain character cards should treat both the Operative and the Chairman as villain character cards, but effects that must by their nature admit only a single villain character card refer only to the Chairman. The former effects are usually passive (like "except the villain character card") while the latter effects are usually active (like "the villain deals damage").

That's my best guess, anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha. I never even noticed that she lacked the "villain" type, as it's not something I've ever had to check.

Well, that certainly makes Rooftop Combat a bit more interesting... Although that may be one case where an exception is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.