Subject: Just when can I post a Scar Card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Anderson
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
Had a question after our first game regarding Scar Cards, and when they go on the board.

This was our first game, so the scars in question were Bunkers and Ammo Shortages.

The rule book indicates that scar cards are placed at the beginning of the turn, prior to troop recruitment/joining the war. The cards themselves seem to indicate otherwise, if I remember the exact text correctly - the wording was to the effect of "before an attack role".

So the question is -

Lets say Player A, has a larger army placed exactly between two opposing players HQ. (Player B and Player C) and it's the start of his turn.

At the start of the turn of Player A, do players B and/or C need to place their Bunker Scars - or can B and C wait until see which direction Player A directs his assualt, and once Player A declares - then place the Scar?

Furthermore - Lets say that Player A decides to assault Player C. Player C initially feels confident to defend, and doesnt place a bunker scar. However 3 rounds into the attack - he gets cold feet and decides he wants to place a scar - can he declare he will place the scar prior to the next attack roll?

Furthermore - Could instead Player A (should the attack gone initally poorly) put in a Ammo Shortage scar after the first round of attacks, but prior to an attack roll? (Assuming that the territory is not already scarred)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The exact wording for the scar reference at turn start is: "There are some Scar cards that are played at the start of a player’s turn, either yours or any player’s turn. These would be played at this time"

The key word is "some", in the case of ammo shortages & bunkers these are not start of turn scars but "before attack roll" ones

So answers:
1 - they can wait and decide
2 & 3 - each roll is a seperate decision to attack so yes you can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, in regards to scar cards being placed at the beginning of the turn. That might imply that there may be other scar cards which may be placed then.

Bunker and Ammo shortages are not these types of scars. You place them when they tell you on the scar card to place them. This would be during a battle.

We always placed our Bunker and Ammo shortage cards at the beginning of the attack roll. However if the card says that you always do it before an attack roll, that seems to imply that you could decide to place it before the an attack dice roll of any attack (even in the middle of a combat). If it states you have to do it before the first roll in a combat it would have to be placed before the first dice were rolled not in the middle. I cannot remember, because we destoryed the cards and its been awhile...

In your example Player B or C would have to place their bunker at the beginning of the battle when player A attacked them. Or if player A wanted to place an ammo shortage scar for instance. If there were ever any "ties", see below.

Check out the note on page 8 of the rules:

Quote:
A NOTE ON TIMING:
There are some points where more than one player may want to
play a scar card or a missile at the same time. If that happens,
priority goes to the person who declared first. If it is unclear who
declared first, then priority goes to the current player, then the
defender (if in combat), then clockwise from the current player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
I wonder if the ammo shortage and bunker were meant to be played in between attack and defense rolls as you say. I dont have the rules in front of me now, but I seem to remember that the atacker and defender boh roll the number of dice they have each chosen simultaniously.

Going on memory and Sarge85's writing the "before attack roll" wording would mean that they couldn't be played between an attacking & defending die roll.

Incorrect memory on the Enclave power meant the below interpretation was suspect. My earlier reading seems to be right

My only slight change in thought comes from the Enclave starting power which specifically references first attack. That power exists for the whole time you keep attacking the same territory, meaning that an attack can last many die-rolls. If that is the case then my inital thought is wrong and the "before first attack" wording means prior to a group of die rolls.

However nothing to stop an attacker stopping after 1 or 2 rolls, then doing a small expand, then play scar and re-attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️❌✔️ ➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbess wrote:
My only slight change in thought comes from the Enclave starting power which specifically references first attack. That power exists for the whole time you keep attacking the same territory, meaning that an attack can last many die-rolls. If that is the case then my inital thought is wrong and the "before first attack" wording means prior to a group of die rolls.
Enclave's power references "the first territory you attack", not the attacks themselves, and so the definition of "attack" remains at a single roll of the attacking and defending dice.

So for Ammo Shortage and Bunker, you can play them immediately prior to any attack (including just before the second consecutive attack from A to B), but only once that attack has been declared (that declaration cannot then be revoked), and only on the territory being attacked, and not at any other time, and not between attacking and defending dice rolls - because the rules are explicit that there is no gap between those rolls.

Other scars are played when the scar cards say they may be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anderson
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
CapNClassic wrote:
I wonder if the ammo shortage and bunker were meant to be played in between attack and defense rolls as you say. I dont have the rules in front of me now, but I seem to remember that the atacker and defender both roll the number of dice they have each chosen simultaniously.

I didn't mean to imply between a attack roll and a defense roll - i should have said attack round? meaning both the rolling of the attack dice and defense dice. I agree both rolls should happen simultaneously. Resolve that one result - decide on scars - then both roll again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time the attacker and defender roll dice, that is an "attack." You can play Bunkers or Ammo Shortages on the defending territory before any "attack."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.