Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul McBee
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have little to no knowledge of anything Star Trek. My question is would someone like me who has never seen the show or has any knowledge of it, but enjoys thematic scifi games, enjoy this one?. I know that is hard to answer, but do the mechanics and general space exploration theme do enough to enhance the game with no Star Trek interest? I do like Galactic Emperor a lot for reference. How similar are the two games? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am unfamiliar with Galactic Emperor.

While Trek knowledge makes you smile at recognized faces and events, the game stands alone. You might be baffled at a few specific encounters and why they do what they do, but I think the game will still be enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Paul. The game mechanics are both sound and enjoyable.

I will also further note that the Star Trek references are very much geared to please the casual fan. In my experience so far, it walks a great line of being able to please both the casual fan and the dedicated fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Lansing
Illinois
flag msg tools
Or am I?
badge
Devious
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a long time Star Trek fan, it's hard to say...

But, I think of this like if there was a Star Wars game similar to this. I am not a "fan" of Star Wars, meaning I never really got in to it. I've seen it, I know some of the more general things about it that everybody knows (light sabres, and I can tell you which one is the Millennium Falcon, and who Luke and Han are), so I can say that if I played a Star Wars themed game that was very similar to Star Trek FC that I would thoroughly enjoy it.

So, I would say that yes. It's worth it even if you have really only heard of Captain Kirk, the Enterprise, and you know what a Tribble is.

PS: I love giving my opponent the Tribble card. It's just so fun to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Snow
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Absolutely. In a recent 4 player game I got my friend's wife to play and she knew nothing about trek but loved it just the same. Me getting half my fleet taken away by a combination of alien takeovers and temporal loops in the first turn is hilarious no matter who you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.