Popular Tags: [View All]
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in High School (back in the day) I was introduced to a modeling and simulation program for the (then cutting edge) Mac Plus (I believe it might have been STELLA, but I'm not sure).

It allowed you to create a flow diagram of a complex system - for example the population of deer in a natural reserve, by setting up a network of sources, sinks, and formulas that would modify various variables. In the case of the the simple deer simulation we ran it included annual birth rates, natural predators, food supply's annual cyclic cycles, etc. This allowed us to model how in that circumstance unchecked deer population growth would lead to cycles of population booms followed by famine.

As I was pondering the various sub-systems in a game I was playing and thinking about how it compared against a game I was designing, I had the thought that perhaps similar software could be used to help model the dynamics of game systems. This could help designers both be aware of how their various systems explicitly interacted, and also allow tuning of the game over various random variables.

I know much of this can be achieved with much effort and spreadsheet expertise, but I fondly recall how easy it was to set up the simulation with a simple GUI.

Is anyone familiar with any modern simulation software that they could recommend (preferably for the Mac)?

Has anyone used (or heard of other game designers using) such software in the process of their design?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:

Has anyone used (or heard of other game designers using) such software in the process of their design?

Wow, your high school was clearly superior to mine.

Anyway, I know that Thomas Lehmann used a series of computer simulations when designing Race for the Galaxy, so it's definitely something that game designers do. Can't say I have any experience with it, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lougheed
Canada
flag msg tools
I never bothered learning it, but I think Simulink does that kind of thing. I don't know if it works with Mac and I suspect it would be expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Most people cannot understand how to use Solver in Excel. What you are asking involves higher levels of math comprehension that is highly uncommon. People with an engineering background would probably start with Excel and perhaps move to MathLab. Full on simulation software though is rare except among people studying high level math or high level statistics.

I suspect this is even the case among video games you will find little use of simulation systems within the games (barring Sim City/The Sims family of games which actually are simulation systems - but that is only because Will Wright started those games as simulations systems he wrote from scratch in C).

Personally, this falls into a category of game design I think is often neglected: Research. Few designers research real world results (whether through encyclopedias or simulations) when creating the game engine. And this is generally because there too many variables in the real world such that stuffing them into a board game would create a very tedious game. Good enough rules game design. Research is usually restricted to theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Most people cannot understand how to use Solver in Excel. What you are asking involves higher levels of math comprehension that is highly uncommon. People with an engineering background would probably start with Excel and perhaps move to MathLab. Full on simulation software though is rare except among people studying high level math or high level statistics.

That may be true, but if Stella was easy enough for me to use in middle school, I'm fairly certain it'd be easier for me to use today than to try and figure out Excel. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my course in university, we use matlab-simulink for research of all kinds. If you have programming and possibly engineering backgrounds, that's definitely one of the best and easiest to use software out there.

but for making games, it seems like a bit of an over kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
In my course in university, we use matlab-simulink for research of all kinds. If you have programming and possibly engineering backgrounds, that's definitely one of the best and easiest to use software out there.

but for making games, it seems like a bit of an over kill.

we use matlab/simulink at work (engineer) and I could see the game design advantages, but I gotta think getting a home copy is cost prohibitive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'm going to look at Simulink (and Stella) and I seem to be finding some other open source alternatives as well. I'll update this post after a little research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.